A CAMDEN CRAWL RANT

Guest neatneatneat

So.... On the whole I pretty much enjoyed the Camden Crawl even though I don't think it is particularly good value to see 4 new (ish) bands for £30 but, as I say it was all pretty enjoyable except for one thing.

Really wanted to see Billy Bragg and the opportunity to see him in such a small venue was so tempting that we pitch up at about 4:30pm and have a few drinks in the extremely hot and stuffy front bar which steadily gets fuller and fuller and more chaotic as the 7pm start time approaches. The wait is made even more unbearable by the fact that the Man Utd V Spurs game was showing on the large telly creating a massive bottleneck when people want to go backwards and forwards to the (worse condition than Reading on a Sunday) toilets!

But, come on...... stop moaning you get to see Billy Bragg in a 150-200 capacity venue and this has all go to be worth it hasn't it?

The back venue doors open.... Here we go thinks the apprehensive crowd and we form a sort of orderly line towards the rear hall. It's 6:30pm. The uncomfortable wait was worth it.

But wait..... what's happening. A rude and obnoxious bouncer shouts "clear the house!"

everybody looks at him quizzically and he shouts again "clear the house".

I approach him and say "does this mean we have to get in line outside?" He looks at me as if I'd asked him if I could sleep with his wife and snears "don't ask me, how am I supposed to know" I say "Well, as you're the person that's kicking us out I sort of guessed you might know" but my rapier like retort is all too much for him and the look he gives me says "leave or die". I leave.

There was absolutely no indication anywhere during the whole of the early evening that this was going to happen and all of us who had made the effort to get to the venue early were just kicked out with absolutely no chance of getting back in due to the huge queue which had by now formed outside.

Maybe its just Me!!!

Having said all that, Hexes were pretty good, Joy Formidable were excellent and The Fall were truly outstanding so every cloud has a silver lining I guess.

I won't be stumping up £60 to go next year though!

Just got back :P and had an awesome weekend.

Think the secret is not to goto the Dublin Castle, we walked up to it twice and realised that it would be daft to go in so went elsewhere, saw a load of cracking bands and had a load of cracking beer. All in all a success, will deffinately be going back next year :huh: