rucksack size

Guest sowfpig09

i think theres some other threads on here about rucksacks but

im travelling on coach so need to pack relatively light and think rucksack will be the easiest way to carry stuff straight to a campsite of choice!!!

not sure what size to go for though...... i will be taking the obvious things firstly, wellies,light tent,sleeping bag, mat which ive just bought-quite light, rolls up and wil prob stick on outside of bag......erm walking boots, all the hygiene essentials, soooome booze but thts guna be limited....ok and my main luxury is gona be clothes lol prob be wanting to take a few outfits,a dress etc lol as i like to pick and chose depending on the day... ther will be other things in ther of course(small towel blah blah blah u know).......... so does anyone have any idea wht type of size- do i go all out and get a 100L or will i struggle to carry it ? 80L? 85L?

will one at about 30quid be good enough?

hit meeee with it!!!

cheers-again!Sophie

Hi, we did coach travel in 2007 and will be doing again this year - the luggage allowance is not mean you can take 2 bags each 20KG i think?

2 of us had one good size ruck sack each (e-bay) , big holdall kit bag (cheap from tesco) to carry between us, and trolleys - some on same coach had stacks of beer etc and there wasn't issues with it (although no guzzling on board)

The ruck sacks were big enough for sleeping bag, airbed, blanket, some clothes , washkit, bits and peices in the side pockets and wellys/shoes tied on.

This year bought a more solid load carrier - a godsend if you have a long trek , its hard work otherwise

have a good one

Shouldn't think you'll need a 100L sack, I took an 85L in 2007 + a day sack on my front and was way overloaded and took far too much, borrowed this off my sister last year and it worked a treat.

http://www.equipyourtrip.com/featured/wome...e-rucksack.html

Was quite pricey (she bouht it to travel round Oz) but you can get ones of a similar size much cheaper.

It has lots of straps so managed to strap my self inflating mattress to the bottom, tent to one side and sleeping bag to other. This left plenty of room inside for clothes, a pair of trainers and booze. I wore my walking boots and hoody so meant I didn't have to pack some of the bulkier items.

Here's a couple of links to a couple of last years threads that may also help...

/index.php?showtopic=102549&hl=rucksack">Festival Rucksacks

/index.php?showtopic=102592&hl=rucksack">Tips for Packing Rucksacks

im travelling on coach so need to pack relatively light and think rucksack will be the easiest way to carry stuff straight to a campsite of choice!!!

not sure what size to go for though...... i will be taking the obvious things firstly, wellies,light tent,sleeping bag, mat which ive just bought-quite light, rolls up and wil prob stick on outside of bag......erm walking boots, all the hygiene essentials, soooome booze but thts guna be limited....ok and my main luxury is gona be clothes lol prob be wanting to take a few outfits,a dress etc lol as i like to pick and chose depending on the day... ther will be other things in ther of course(small towel blah blah blah u know).......... so does anyone have any idea wht type of size- do i go all out and get a 100L or will i struggle to carry it ? 80L? 85L?

hit meeee with it!!!

cheers-again!Sophie

I have a 65L bag which i manage with tie my tent to the outside as it will take up a lot of space in the bag.

Spacing saving tips:

If possible wear your bulky/heavy footwear clothes if its comfortable.

Travel sized bottles of toiletries or decant into small bottles/containers

Use compression and stuff sacks if you own any or use sleeping bag ones if you have any spare

Apparently rolling clothes saves space

Pack objects round awkward shaped items like shoes

If packing trainers/boots etc you can fit socks etc inside again to save space

Also one of the things my female mates do is layer clothes so they look different while needing less clothes.

A few things also to keep in mind is make sure you know how to adjust the bag so the weight goes onto your hips and not your shoulders, pack anything you will need on arrival at camp at the top (e.g sleeping bag) and finally keep any heavy items when possible in the middle of the pack as close to your back as it makes it easier to carry.

I have a 65L one, but really I'd go for a bigger one if I was replacing that.

I always put too much booze in mine and can barely carry it, but if you are packing loads of clothes then weight shouldn't be an issue.

Taking a trolley this year to help carry booze, food, tent etc.

Spirits are a must to keep weight down.

Edited by scappaflow

the army use 70L bergans and no offence sowfpig09, you dont look that big!!

A lot of the rucksacks these days can expand (usually by an extra 10L). My rucksack is rated at 65L but can expand to 75L if needed. Bought it for £17 out of Aldi a few years ago and its done me a few T in the parks, a Leeds and dozens of camping trips ;)

hit meeee with it!!!

cheers-again!Sophie

Edited by BenchBuddah

I saw a decent size rucksack in a big Tescos fer cheap - I'd check that out if I were you!

Also, if you're going to fill it with clothes, you'll probably be OK with a bigger rucksack than some are suggesting, but don't forget you can save a lot of space by strapping your tent, sleeping bag and roll mat to the outside of the rucksack, thus saving space inside for more clothes.

i have a 90 L and that does me fine. but my dad takes a 70 L and a sack barrow with loads of stuff. We've both found that we fill what we take, so if i took a smaller rucksack i'd fill it and be fine. It might be worth taking into account will you take stuff you don't need if you take a bigger bag??

Rule of thumb with rucksacks, it should be no taller than your torso.

If you pack it too heavy, use your rollmat as a liner, slip it into the empty rucksack and let it unfurl inside the bag to eat up space and shove things into the space inside the rollmat.

il find a waay of lugging it to the site it its too heavy lol il find some kind fellow to carry it for me lol

This year bought a more solid load carrier - a godsend if you have a long trek , its hard work otherwise

have a good one