G20 protests likened to Glastonbury

Guest lovelessrapture

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From The Guardian, or is it The Day Today:

"11 protesters who turned up at the protest in an armoured personnel carrier were arrested in connection with the possession of police uniforms and road traffic offences.

The latter group are understood to be anarchists known as the Space Hijackers who had come to make their feelings felt through the medium of street theatre."

But that's exactly how some of them behave.

If I were the police I'd think it very sensible to keep the protesters away from certain buildings (e.g. banks) where people have to go to work today and probably feared for their personal safety.

Unfortunately, there is an element at Glastonbury that is just as bad, as evidenced by comments like this on this very forum....

how can it possibly be sensible for the police to pen in 99% of protesters that were there for peacefull motives, keeping them away from water and toilet facilities was only going to incense fair minded people and make them more likely to join the idiots that were there for violence.

the banks told all their workers to dress down or work from home so no issue there with peoples safety.

honestly, the way the media & the police have whipped it up this week made it almost envitable that it would kick off, but if youd let the majority walk on through, instead of dealing with a mass of pissed off people youd have had a small majority and you could have picked them up with minimal fuss

I didn't say they should pen them in, I just said that they should keep them away from some likely flashpoints.

How the police are supposed to know which protesters are likely to kick off and which aren't is anyone's guess though. I imagine they have to be cautious of pretty much everyone on a day like today, even if 99% have nothing but peaceful intentions.

It's certainly not a job I'd like to be doing today.

Watching on BBC News 24 now. Looks like it's just the proper nutjobs still there.

They've just reported that a protester has died. Apparently police trying to help him and get an ambulance through were pelted with bottles :)