Cambridge Rock Festival 2009, 6th - 9th August

Guest mikeb

The more observant amongst you will no doubt have already noticed that this years Cambridge Rock Festival is, erhm, actually in Cambridge !!! After 5 years of being held in the Huntingdon area, mostly at the excellent Wood Green Centre, this year's festival has a shiny new venue to explore between bands B) Haggis Farm is located close to Junction 12 of the M11 and is only around 3 miles from Cambridge town centre / Railway Station so getting there is going to be even easier than ever:

crf%202009%20location.gif

Information on the new venue, site layout and facilities etc. is a bit thin on the ground at the moment needless to say and there are obviously going to be some differences to previous years but I can't imagine for one minute that the excess of great and primarily rock bands or the vast array of excellent real ales are going to be subject to any changes at all ... other than perhaps being even greater in number and/or quality than usual anyway ! It is believed that stages will still be undercover as well so no need to worry about those surprise monsoon or biblical style flood moments making an unplanned and unwelcome appearance in an attempt to spoil the fun. Expect the usual variety of good quality food, clothes, crafts and record stalls etc.

The complete lineup for this years CRF is yet to be formally announced but there is an impressive and steadily growing list of confirmed bands on the the Official CRF Website and listed below in no particular order:

Murray Hockridge and Dave Kilminster, Oli Brown, Mostly Autumn, Barclay James Harvest, Touchstone, Quireboys, Pete Brown, Simon McBride, Pure Floyd Show, Dead Like Harry, Awake, Stray, Breathing Space, Joker, Who's Next, The Restaurant, Morph, Bianco Diablo, Danny Bryant, Tinlin, Jukes, Split Whiskers, Pheonix, Sacred Heart, The Mustangs, Jeavestone ... plus ASIA (original lineup - Downes, Wetton, Howe, Palmer) recently confirmed as closing the festival on the Sunday :D and (probably the most well know 'export' from The Netherlands after Mr.Heineken's (in)famous beverages :)) also recently confirmed as playing at some time on the Sunday :):) Just in case you hadn't kinda guessed, I'm liking the look of Sunday *A LOT* not to mention looking forward to seeing almost all of other bands listed so far in any case. I expect there will be tears as clashes various become apparent when the full lineup and timings are released :D

Full Festival (Thursday - Sunday) adult tickets are priced at £69 if purchased before May (£85 during June/July and £89 thereafter or on the gate if available) with under 16's at £25 and under 10's at £1. Camping tickets £18/tent and £36/van. Individual day tickets are also available. Tickets can be ordered via the Official CRF Website if paying by card or by calling the CRF Box Office on 0845 299 0845 / 01 353 749 749 or by cheque/post from RBF Festivals Ltd. Entry on Thursday is also free for CAMRA members.

Please visit the Official CRF Website for the most up-to-date festival information, further lineup details as and when they're announced, to find out more about the individual bands playing as well as to listen to some sample tracks from them.

Edited by mikeb

Hi Mike,

Looks like a great lineup this year. I'll be there again along with the rest of the Welsh Gang. We're all a bit shellshocked at present because The Point, our 'home' in Cardiff, has just gone bust and closed. Anyone got £100,000 and would like to take on Britain's best live music venue?

It hasnt has it?

Damn - amazing Venue that!! I heard about the sound issues last year (from the local neighbours)!! If i had £100k i snap it up!

I promoted/co-promoted a couple of events there over the past 3 years or so.

Gutted for Cardiff!!

Edited by edthefish

• 2 weeks later...

Well heeellllloooooooo to the (in)famous Welsh Posse, long time no see and all that :) I was beginning to suspect that I was just about the only regular CRF-goer lurking around here ! Sorry, been rather neglecting this thread since I started it as I've been sort of in Glasto mode recently. That's bad news about The Point. I'm almost sure a mate of mine dragged me along to some gig there a few years ago just after they started out and he was living in Caerleon. Didn't it used to be a Church or something before ? Anyways, can't remember what the gig was so it probably wasn't anyone I was that into at the time but if that was indeed the place then it sure seemed like a great venue to me. Unfortunately, I kinda suspect there will probably be a few more going the same way and no doubt some festivals also given the current state of things :) Not good.

On the CRF front, must say I've been rediscovering Focus quite a lot ever since Dave put their name up along with Asia for Sunday. I *really* liked them even though I've not seen/heard anything from them for donkey's years. I think the last time I saw them was when I stumbled across them on some Dutch satellite channel and before that The Old Grey Whistle Test and I hate to think just how many years ago either of those actually were. Didn't think they were still doing anything TBH after all the various falling outs over the years. Sadly all Ye Olde vinyls are lurking somewhere unknown all unloved and unplayed for years unfortunately but nothing that Mr.Credit-Card couldn't help with so I'm now the proud owner of the last 2 albums and greatest hits on CD :D Sounding as good as ever I have to say although having 'real' vocals (as opposed to just the occasional bit of nonsensical Dutch and/or yodelling !) on a couple of tracks on "Focus 9 / New Skin" came as a bit or a surprise at first. Really good album though, well worth a listen if Focus is your thing.

Found some vids from their recent tour dates as well just to whet the old appetite of anyone looking forward to seeing them at CRF09. Thijs seems almost as 'mad' as ever and the flute playing absolutely amazing as could only be expected. Also the new guitarist, Niels van der Steenhoven, is simply excellent. Check out the last 3 mins of Tamara's Move in particular for proof almost beyond doubt that Niels is the biz !

(1) An oldie and a relative newie: House of the King / Tamara's Move

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike,

I first saw Focus in Holland in 1968 when I had a Dutch girlfriend and use to spend quite a lot of time over there. I've also seen them a few times since and they are still good.

Returning the favour I recommended my old girlfriend (we are still in touch 40 years on) to go and see Danny Bryant when he was in Holland last year and she was blown away and went back with friends to see his econd night. Really glad he'll be at Cambridge though, for some reason he's been 'forgotten' from the poster.

I was most looking forward to Asia as Carl Palmer is possibly still the finest rock drummer around and the ELP catalogue is tremendous.

However I've just spotted that Dave had managed to get Jefferson Starship this year after they fell through last year because of the date change. They are still magnificent.

Have you visited the new Haggis Polo Club site. If so, what do you make of it?

I've managed to arrange to borrow an old VW campervan from a friend for this year's Cambridge and Trowbridge (though I'll still probably take my tent as well. Unfortunately I don't think that Haggis Farm has electric hook ups.

Catch you at Glasto first.

Cheers,

Pete.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry but I've been getting very much into Glasto mode and kinda neglecting this thread again :) Yeah I know, I'll go and stand in the naughty corner and think about what I've (not) done when I've finished here :huh: There also seems to be some posts missing as well as I just know that I posted some other stuff after 3rd April. Very strange :lol:

The Main Stage has finally lost the last TBC and the line-up is now complete:

crf2009-1.gif

I'm so looking forward to seeing just about all of them and I haven't really considered who's playing the various other stages yet ! Some very hard decisions to be made and/or one h*ll of a lot of running about is going to be needed this year I think. Totally spoilt for choice. And in addition to Deborah Bonham now being added to Saturday line-up, Jason Bonham will also apparently be bashing the old drums with Airrace on the Sunday as well. Nice one :lol:

Other stage news:

The Alternative Stage is shaping up very well and is also running over all four days, although finishing around an hour earlier than the Main Stage. On Thursday it's host to The Cream of Cambridge Stage featuring local bands. Friday it's host to the Radio Caroline Stage featuring, amongst others, Dave Kilminster & Murray Hockridge, the most excellent Kyrbgrynder [##] (the only band I know where the drummer is centre stage front not hidden away at the back !) Lost Weekend, Praying Mantis and headlined by Voodoo Johnson. Saturday it's host to the Classic Rock Society Stage featuring, amongst others, Crimes of Passion, Tinyfish, Manning and headlined by Soltice. Sunday it's host to the Silverstreet Management Stage featuring, amongst others, Big Linda, Zenith, Sons of Albion and headlined by Imperial Vipers. I haven't seen Imperial Vipers live but the new album (Broken) is absolutely brilliant so check out the Imperial Vipers Myspace page as they're well worth a listen to.

Imperial Vipers: "Victim" from the new album Broken.

Edited by mikeb

• 3 weeks later...

There are still a couple of TBCs on the Cream of Cambridge (local bands) Stage but here is the (almost) complete line-up for the Alternative Stage so far anyway:

crf2009-2.gif

The line-up for the Rotary Rocks Blues Stage, a dedicated Blues/Bluesrock stage and NEW for this year, is also complete now and will appear below just as soon as I get the graphic sorted:

crf2009-3.gif

In other CRF news ... NEW for this year is the Arts and Crafts Marquee with demonstrations and workshops in addition to the various arts/craft stalls that are always present on site ;) Jill Fordham, a local Cambridge artist, will be giving a demonstration of Mosaics with a 2 hours hands-on workshop taking place daily. There will be a nominal charge to cover materials etc. For more information and to book your place at one of the workshops, please visit Jill at her stall during the weekend.

Don't have a tent ? or don't want the bother of finding, carrying and pitching your tired old tent(s) on site ? or maybe you just fancy having a totally different festival experience this year ? Then why not get a bunch of friends together and experience living in a tipi for the weekend ! Because also NEW for this year is the option to hire a traditional tipi on-site with each tipi sleeping 6-8 people and only requiring a single Camping Ticket. Hire cost is around £400 for the 4 days of the festival meaning the total cost is around £16/person/day. Please visit Zac's Tipis for more information and to enquire about booking a tipi at the festival this year.

Please note that all festival bars will be operating the "Challenge 25" policy this year. If you're over 18 but under 25 or just lucky enough to look much younger than you actually are then please make sure that you bring a valid form of photo ID with you ensure that you get served without experiencing any problems. Valid forms of ID include a photo style driving licence, passport or any approved ID card featuring the PASS hologram.

Full festival tickets (at £85 before August and £89 thereafter or on the gate) as well as individual day tickets are still available. For more information or to buy tickets, please visit The Official CRF website

Edited by mikeb

• 2 weeks later...

Important news posted on the CRF website earlier today:

Jefferson Starship & Quicksilver Messenger Service have been forced to cancel their UK 3 date mini tour as they have been let down by another UK festival. We are working hard to replace them in the line up with another great band.
Edited by mikeb

Mr Grumpyhack is Mr Very Pissed Off Grumpyhack as Starship were the main band I was looking forward to seeing. But I'm also writing and designing the programme for the CRF and now I'm going to have to rewrite huge chunks and replace the gaps with I know not what.

Problem is that I'm off to the Trowbridge Pump Festival on Wednesday and this Monday was supposed to be the final deadline to get the programme to the printers.

Still, my problems are but nothing compared to poor Dave and Julia who've put in a huge amount of work organising the festival. It's been a bit like nailing jelly to the wall anyway but now it's nailing dissolving jelly.

Bummer all round.

I bought a ticket for just the Saturday as I am a huge Jefferson Starship/Quicksilver Messenger Service fan (some of the band members play in both bands - David F, Chris S, Tony M and Jeff P all play in both bands).

As they have now cancelled, does anyone know if it is possible to get a refund for tickets that were bought for Sat only, just because they were going to perform?

There are also rumours of Jefferson Starship/Quicksilver Messenger Service doing a UK/Europe tour with Tom Constanten (Grateful Dead Keyboardist) in October/December with a free show in Amsterdam:

NOVEMBER - The "JSQMSTC" Tour

16>24/ HOLD/ UK

25 - OFF/ ARRIVE AMSTERDAM

26 - FIRM/ Amsterdam, NETH/ Cannabis Cup @ Melkweg

27 - OFF IN AMSTERDAM

28 - OFF IN AMSTERDAM

29> DEC> 7 ... HOLD/ GERMANY, BENELUX

As they have now cancelled, does anyone know if it is possible to get a refund for tickets that were bought for Sat only, just because they were going to perform?

There are also rumours of Jefferson Starship/Quicksilver Messenger Service doing a UK/Europe tour with Tom Constanten (Grateful Dead Keyboardist) in October/December with a free show in Amsterdam:

Edited by mikeb

... NEWS FLASH ... NEWS FLASH ... NEWS FLASH ...

According to shiny new news that's recently appeared on the CRF website:

Uriah Heep join the Saturday line up and are a brilliant addition to the festival.
Edited by mikeb

Whooooo - Hooooooo and all that ... The 2009 site map has been recently published on the official CRF website :unsure: Ooooo, it's getting so close now that I can almost hear the bands and taste the ale :ph34r:

crf%20site%20map%202009%20preview.gif

Not exactly the best of quality image I'm afraid but about as good as I can achieve from quickly 'borrowing' a copy from the CRF website and reducing it in size to fit on here. There is also a larger and somewhat clearer version available so Clicky Ye Here to download a zipped up PDF format file suitable for viewing the detail or printing out at A4 size.

PLEASE NOTE that the site layout is of course subject to change depending on the prevailing conditions on site at the time of the event.

The line-up graphics posted earlier have also now been updated where necessary and should reflect the details on the CRF website.

Afternoon everyone. Just got back from a magnificent Trowbridge Pump Festival so can now start really getting my head around the CRF.

To anyone posting re the loss of particular bands I'd say give the fest a try anyway. I've been a huge Starship fan ever since seeing the original Airplane back in 69 and have seen them in various mutations over the years, so I was really looking forward to catching them this year.

Although there will be no Jefferson, part of the joy of festivals is stumbling (sometimes literally) across bands you've never heard of or seen before. You don't get that if you go to a gig that is simply the band you are keen on - although you might find an interesting support band.

There's a good range at Cambridge and you might be pleasantly surprised. If you like Airplane try Deborah Bonham, Never The Bride or Touchstone and youl'll hear voices to die for.

Open your mind to other possibilities and give it a bash.

Hope to see you there.

I'm Pete (part of the Welsh Gang) and look forward to seeing you.

What's this I see ? More peeps from that Country just west of the River Severn eh ? Blimey, this is almost beginning to sound like an attempted invasion to me :O

I guess the Fenland sheep may perhaps be starting to get a tad concerned anyway

Edited by mikeb

Not directly related to CRF as such but it would appear that the Memories of Woodstock Festival being promoted by New Dawn Events at the West Midlands Showground (Shrewsbury) on the same weekend as CRF has in fact now been officially cancelled. There is currently an official statement to that effect on the New Dawn Events website as well as in various other press releases and forum posts from many of the bands that had already pulled out due to alleged contractual stylee issues. Very sad news for anyone who has bought tickets for the Memories of Woodstock Festival of course :) and they should be contacting the Promoter and/or their Credit Card Company ASAP in order to obtain the full refund on their tickets that they are entitled to receive.

However, just in case any disappointed ticket buyers find their way in here, it would appear that discounted tickets are being offered by CRF to those who have bought tickets for "Memories of Woodstock" and can provide hard evidence of this. This information seems to have been posted officially on some of the bands official forum sites and had also been mentioned in a number of the press releases from some of the various bands that had pulled out recently. The discounted tickets appear to be £15 for a day ticket or £69 for a 4 day weekend ticket i.e. a discount of around £20 off the normal ticket prices. This offer is now confirmed on the CRF website so anyone who has tickets for "Memories of Woodstock" and who is interested in attending CRF instead should contact the CRF Box Office on 01 353 749 749 or 0845 299 0845 for more details.

Edited by mikeb