What is this obsession with age?

Guest hallamboy

I keep seeing all these polls about how old people are, and to write a post if you are between 17-20 etc etc, and I just don't get it.

Glasto, in my mind, has never been about age. In fact it always bucked any kind of age-ism because it is so inclusive. Now before someone pulls me up on this, I do realise that our leader ME did mention last year about wanted a younger crowd. But I do think that this is just an ME faux pas, that happens from time to time. But in general the festival has not had the mental barriers of being worried about the age of its attendees, so why now?

Why are we now suddenly getting more concerned that more from our age group are there? At Glasto we are all the same regardless of age, race, gender, sexual preference and religion or lack of. In my mind they have no baring at Glasto.

I can understand it, most definitely. I first went to Glastonbury when I was 21 or so. I couldn't at that age, imagine being 25, or 30 or 35. F**k me, I thought people that old were one cup of tea away from death. Now, at the age of 36, i can't quite believe it.

But I think it's a healthy thing, to be young and think old people are shit. It's better than a 18 year old acting/behaving like a 40 year old. It's natural. Never trust anyone over 30 :lol:

Apologies to captain amazing.

One point I'd like to make is that I also go on the Arctic Monkeys forum quite a bit, and in around June time there was a specific thread, that was especially for the 30+ Arctic Monkeys fans. No one cared, but isn't it the same as the 17-20 group here?I think it is about wanting to chat to things that people feel are more relevant to their age?

Lots of young people go to glastonbury, i started when i was 14 and have been going on and off for the last 17 years.

The worst thing in the world for glastonbury would it become a festival for the over 30's, but as luck would have it its currently miles away from that.

You will find an older crowd at Glastonbury that you would at reading, but it hasn't turned into Dadstock regardless of what you think of the headliners

Its been seen said many times before that glastonbury is like many small festivals in one, and it becomes something greater than the some of its parts.

You will get an older crowd at the jazz world stage, maybe 30 +, and possibly even older still at the acoustic stage, but at the John Peel stage id guess the average age was under 20 , and then you have the park. and the dance village etc etc

So dont worry you'll find plenty to do/people to get along with, but don't write people off for being over 25 35 45 or whatever, as half of the old timers can still have it with the best, and may still be going strong when your tucked up in bed !

Apologies to captain amazing.

One point I'd like to make is that I also go on the Arctic Monkeys forum quite a bit, and in around June time there was a specific thread, that was especially for the 30+ Arctic Monkeys fans. No one cared, but isn't it the same as the 17-20 group here?I think it is about wanting to chat to things that people feel are more relevant to their age?

Sorry, I still don't get it. We are all Glastonians here, age and what not is pretty irrelvant. Glasto is the thing that binds us together. It just adds a barrier between folk, when really it is the festival that is our common theme, not age.

From my perspective, I didn't give a hoot about the age of people at Glasto when I first started going. I was there for the new experience in what ever form it took. I'd chat to anyone, and for one weekend a year didn't have to worry about all that 'outside' stuff. So coming from this mindset, you might see how I find it a touch strange to see these age barriers going up.

There are always threads on here about people getting together with others who they feel have certain characterisitcs in common. I think age and sexuality are the ones that prop up the most....

...just as there are always threads of this nature, there are similarly always forum members reacting against it. Some people want to be inclusive, others exclusive. In my experience, it's always those in the majority who don't like people breaking off into different fragments...aside from this being irrational (as you're not going to hang around with everyone at glastonbury anyway, it seems as though some people react against the very possibility of some people sticking to their 'own'), I think it fails to understand that some people like to hang around or spend some time with people who they feel they have something in common with. It isn't a problem, is it? I guess those who are part of a majority wouldn't have experienced this and therefore see calls for people to be more exclusive as a challenge against their dominance?! I don't know, I'm just talking shit 'cause work is boring & I did way too much at the weekend.

Edited by glastofun

There are always threads on here about people getting together with others who they feel have certain characterisitcs in common. I think age and sexuality are the ones that prop up the most....

...just as there are always threads of this nature, there are similarly always forum members reacting against it. Some people want to be inclusive, others exclusive. In my experience, it's always those in the majority who don't like people breaking off into different fragments...aside from this being irrational (as you're not going to hang around with everyone at glastonbury anyway, it seems as though some people react against the very possibility of some people sticking to their 'own'), I think it fails to understand that some people like to hang around or spend some time with people who they feel they have something in common with. It isn't a problem, is it? I guess those who are part of a majority wouldn't have experienced this and therefore see calls for people to be more exclusive as a challenge against their dominance?! I don't know, I'm just talking shit 'cause work is boring & I did way too much at the weekend.

This makes me laugh, Does it reall matter if someone makes a poll about ages etc

We all need stuff to entertain us or solve our curiosities

We all know glastobury is nothing about age groups when i was 16 i went with my 51 year old mum and i know we both love glastonbury as much as each other. H

Yeah this will be my first Glastonbury this year and I'll be almost 18; I think people just want to make sure they won't be the only young people going, especially since the rumoured headliners are like Bruce Springsteen (although I do actually like some of his stuff) and Neil Young.