Hurricane / Southside 2009

Guest Squig

I was only at Hurricane (which is essentially the same thing in the more sympathetic half of Germany)... what exactly do you need to know?

Accomodation: Buy a tent, buy a sleeping bag, buy a matrace, all set. Camping opens on thursday.

Meals: Plenty of food available from thursday on, but you could also buy bbq stuff and socialize with your friendly neighbours. It's essentially all fast food. beer at the camping is 1€ for half a liter, in front of the stages it is more expensive. In Germany there is a refund system for drink containers at events like this.

Crowd: Is chill. 16 to 25, with exceptions in either way... at south side more southern Germans, Swiss and Austrians, at Hurricane more Northern Germans (Berlin!), Scandinavians, British and people from Benelux.

For camping just use youtube (southside festival camping), dunno about train. Hurricane is easily accessible.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said before, you can buy almost everything there, even though it will be more expensive than supermarket prices. I usually bring BBQ stuff (some of it frozen so it lasts till the end) and canned pasta, but then I travel by car usually. Hurricane has a supermarket within walking distance, as said before no idea about southside, maybe just open an english thread on their forum...?

If you haven't noticed yet, there's an english version of the website, http://www.southside.de/index.php?lng=_englisch .

Climate: The festival is on a plateau at about 800 m altitude. The sun will be burning, and it might get cold at nights. Bring sun lotion and something to protect your head, you'll need it.

Travel: The festival is near (1km) the Village "Neuhausen ob Eck". The nearest train station is Tuttlingen. There will be free shuttle busses from the station to the festival (10 km).

Groceries: There are Supermarkets in Tuttlingen, you can take the shuttle bus to get there. When the bus enters Tuttlingen, there's one on the left (Edeka). There is also a small shop in Neuhausen ob Eck, but I've never been there.

Camping: The festival is on an airfield, camping is left and right of the runway, you'll get an idea here http://www.southside.de/extras/galerie_gro...int_air_002.jpg .

If you haven't noticed yet, there's an english version of the website, http://www.southside.de/index.php?lng=_englisch .

Climate: The festival is on a plateau at about 800 m altitude. The sun will be burning, and it might get cold at nights. Bring sun lotion and something to protect your head, you'll need it.

Travel: The festival is near (1km) the Village "Neuhausen ob Eck". The nearest train station is Tuttlingen. There will be free shuttle busses from the station to the festival (10 km).

Groceries: There are Supermarkets in Tuttlingen, you can take the shuttle bus to get there. When the bus enters Tuttlingen, there's one on the left (Edeka). There is also a small shop in Neuhausen ob Eck, but I've never been there.

Camping: The festival is on an airfield, camping is left and right of the runway, you'll get an idea here http://www.southside.de/extras/galerie_gro...int_air_002.jpg .

The 30€ tickets is worth for a whole weekend afaik... if you go back on monday you'd need a new one. There are 30€ tickets for Schleswig Holstein (IE HH to Lübeck) as well, so that is no issue. If you go the information deck they'll be bale to sort out your tickets as well. alternatively you could book them now and probably get a discount. You just need to take the credit card with you you booked the tickert from and print the tickets...

At the airport, the train ticket counters and the festival itself you should be able to find someone who speaks English (Probably better than you ;-) ). In restaurants or something like that it can become a bit tricky, but I wouldn't worry too much.

Wicked. Thanks for the help guys. My mind is made up, all i gotta do is ACTUALLY buy tickets. I'll be using getgo.de pending the assistance of my Berliner atzen. I'm not super concerned with the language barrier, I've mimed my way through plenty of languages. But uh, not sure I saw any stages in that pic? (http://www.southside.de/extras/galerie_gross.php?bild=08_sosi_int_air_002.jpg), weather sure looks nice though. I hope to see you guys there. Also, if anyone is interested, I'll be heading to Interlaken, Switzerland for about a week of camping after the festival and sure could use some company?

-Cheers

Wicked. Thanks for the help guys. My mind is made up, all i gotta do is ACTUALLY buy tickets. I'll be using getgo.de pending the assistance of my Berliner atzen. I'm not super concerned with the language barrier, I've mimed my way through plenty of languages. But uh, not sure I saw any stages in that pic? (http://www.southside.de/extras/galerie_gross.php?bild=08_sosi_int_air_002.jpg), weather sure looks nice though. I hope to see you guys there. Also, if anyone is interested, I'll be heading to Interlaken, Switzerland for about a week of camping after the festival and sure could use some company?

-Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

You are allowed to bring you own drinks in paper containers (like milk or juice or ice tea boxes) in there, can also mix alcohol into them. Once I filled one with beer, if you drink fast enough and are drunk enough totally advisable. You can smuggle beer in there if you get it by the security, but I never bothered. The camping grounds are really close to the stages, the security is tight albeit usually being friendly, and the carbox rule is good enough if you know it exists and know how to use it (German supermarkets: 5 € for a bottle of Wodka?, 3.50 for a bottler of Korn (the German equivalent to gin, goes great with sprite, try 50/50. Whaaaadup?!?)

Going to Rock am Ring this week 8after my exam on Tuesday), and then Hurricane... I love Festival season!

You are allowed to bring you own drinks in paper containers (like milk or juice or ice tea boxes) in there, can also mix alcohol into them. Once I filled one with beer, if you drink fast enough and are drunk enough totally advisable. You can smuggle beer in there if you get it by the security, but I never bothered. The camping grounds are really close to the stages, the security is tight albeit usually being friendly, and the carbox rule is good enough if you know it exists and know how to use it (German supermarkets: 5 € for a bottle of Wodka?, 3.50 for a bottler of Korn (the German equivalent to gin, goes great with sprite, try 50/50. Whaaaadup?!?)

Going to Rock am Ring this week 8after my exam on Tuesday), and then Hurricane... I love Festival season!

Seems like most people are going through Hamburg.... I've booked flights to Bremen, anyone gone to Hurricane from there before?

I'm arriving in Bremen on Wednesday afternoon and was planning on spending the night there, but if it's going to be difficult to get to the festival from there I may aim to stay somewhere closer.

Any help would be brilliant.

Cheers

Seems like most people are going through Hamburg.... I've booked flights to Bremen, anyone gone to Hurricane from there before?

I'm arriving in Bremen on Wednesday afternoon and was planning on spending the night there, but if it's going to be difficult to get to the festival from there I may aim to stay somewhere closer.

Cheers

Cheers

Brilliant, thanks for that.

How busy does it get? Will we be ok to get a decent camping spot (for a 4 man tent) if we arrive mid-day Thursday?

Is it much cheaper (and allowed) to get beer from the town before going into the festival or is it just as easy buying everything on site? I've only ever been to Leeds where they put on a shuttle bus to Tesco so we've done our shopping there

No problem on the tent, and no problem for the shopping, just don't buy glass bottles. There won't be shuttle bus to the supermarkets, but it's a walk of half an hour, and the local youth is there with handcarts tied to bicycles willing to transport goods in exchange for a little money.

This should help: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&...aa81db2aae73e20

P are parkings, c Campings, W for camping vans, yellow where the stages are...

The supermarkets on the camping are a bit more expensive, 1 € for half a liter of Beck's, 12 for a 5 liter keg.

Hi All,

I'm travelling to Hurricane alone on thursday (18th June) from Stansted to Bremen. Landing at 22:35.

Which only gives me 10 minutes to catch last train, I can't see myself making that.

I want to get to the campsite asap as I'm meeting my gf and mates there. So basically I wanted to know if anybody here maybe on the same flight and therefore are in the same boat, would be up for sharing a cab and knocking the price down a bit.

Cheers for reading........

....Ali