Early Bird Entry

Guest MetalDave

I was having this debate with some friends in the pub so i thought id share it with you all.

When you pay extra money for and early entry ticket, what do you expect? you expect a better service, correct??

Well this year and last, it has deffinitely not been the case at all....

I'm starting to think about sacking off going on the wednesday and just go as early as possible on the thursday, because it just seems to me that your shelling out extra money for, what ends up being a really torrid wednesday.

I just wanted to hear other peoples opinions on the matter, how they could possibly improve the service? One thing i pointed out is that they could have let people park closer to the more "appealing" campsites, i.e. Red, Yellow, Blue. Although i heard that this year everyone had to park near brown because others were flooded, but it was exactly the same as last year.

It was my first time going early this year, and im glad I did.

Got the best camping spot ive ever had,peacefully put my tent up (as opposed to ever other year when ive been trying to squash it into some tiny space because theres no room left), had a chilled out night, and got a reasonable nights sleep.

Then the next day, I was able to casually take a walk around the site, nip out to get some beers, and just chill out with some music playing, a few beers, a smoke, and sit in the sunshine watching everyone else arrive and panic about finding a spot.

It also meant I wasnt exhausted on thursday night and was right in the party mood.

My only complaint was the alcohol traders didnt have a wednesday liecense, so i had to walk a fair bit to find an open shop, but even that worked out alright when me and my mate got 24 lagers and 24 ciders for £22 between us.

Oh and the train was empty on the way up... the year before they were kicking ticket holders off the train at random stations and telling them to get on the next one as the train was too full.

Well worth the tenner and if i do go again in 2009 il definantly go up on the wednesday.

Last year was my first year. And I went early.

Not being able to compare it to anything, I would still say it was well worth the extra money. Arriving wednesday means you can camp wherever you want (wether it's yellow or Red or whatever) and also avoid the annoying pot holes, swampy bits etc.

I also found wednesday night to be the best night. A great lil party without feeling bad knowing you should try n stay atleast alive for the bands the next day. Also was great waking up and seeing everyone else panic for a spot, knowing we'd already done it.

Well worth the tenner IMO

last year i went on the thursday and was jsut a day of rushing about and couldnt realy enjoy it until the afternoon

but this year i went on the wednesday and there was nothing better than been able t pick a place i actualy wanted and then jsut relax on the thursday i was a bit dissapointed with the time it took to get in (lord binglys gate) but i was not to bothered as i knew i wouldnt have to rush about like a mad man once i got in

I've been to Leeds nearly every year and have never camped on the Wednesday but travelling down from Glasgow on the Thursday this year was a hassle tryin to get a decent space so next year we're goin to head down on the Wednesday. It means we should get a decent space and can travel light as we can go to the shops early Thurday mornin then chill out all day.

how is yellow camp 'appealing'?

it may be closer to the arena, but every time i walked through their it was smelly muddy and had explosions going off all the time!

It was my first time going early this year, and im glad I did.

Got the best camping spot ive ever had,peacefully put my tent up (as opposed to ever other year when ive been trying to squash it into some tiny space because theres no room left), had a chilled out night, and got a reasonable nights sleep.

Then the next day, I was able to casually take a walk around the site, nip out to get some beers, and just chill out with some music playing, a few beers, a smoke, and sit in the sunshine watching everyone else arrive and panic about finding a spot.

It also meant I wasnt exhausted on thursday night and was right in the party mood.

My only complaint was the alcohol traders didnt have a wednesday liecense, so i had to walk a fair bit to find an open shop, but even that worked out alright when me and my mate got 24 lagers and 24 ciders for £22 between us.

Oh and the train was empty on the way up... the year before they were kicking ticket holders off the train at random stations and telling them to get on the next one as the train was too full.

Well worth the tenner and if i do go again in 2009 il definantly go up on the wednesday.

• 1 month later...
Questions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can someone please explain the different campsites and the pros ad cons of each one.

Are the early entry tickets for 2009 sold out or not

I am 16 do me ad my mate need to take an 18 year old or are we aloud in on our own

I have only been once and camped in Purple camp. It was pretty lively and there were a few large fires on the last night but there were bushes for pissin, also the ground wasn't muddy. It was a little walk to the arena (10 minutes). I think the rule for campsites is that the closer to the arena, the more active/lively/noisy the campsites are. White is the quite shit one.

No the early entry tickets for 2009 are not sold out, they will be on sale next year with the weekend and day tickets. The early bird tickets have sold out.

I was 17 this year and got in no problem, so unless you look like a twelve year old you shouldn't have a problem.

If you're in a large group of people who all want to camp together then the early entry is a lot less hassle when finding a camping space (unless you don't mind a big walk).

This year there were 22 of us in the camp - 15 of us arrived with early tickets and managed to save space for the late comers so it was definitely worth it (although half of our tents leaked and 1 person went home the next day because she hated the mud - but the rest of us loved it)

Depending on how you travel to the site National Express don't start their direct festival service till the Thursday so we have to the Leeds coach station and shuttle bus but it's not a huge hassle.

This year was a little bit chaotic getting into the camping areas - seemed to only gates/camping after about an hour so there was a pretty horrendous queue getting in the gate but it's a good excuse to crack open the ridiculous amount of lager we seem to drag with us every year!

So after all that useless blurb £10 for getting in early is definitely worth it in my opinion!

Back when I first went it was an open secret that you could get in on the Wednesday as long as you had a weekend ticket. I enjoyed getting there a day early so much that I have bought permits every year since, it's so much less crowded on the train, easier to get in, more space to set up. And like people above have mentioned a really nice atmosphere, especially so this year :O . Also, Thursday is more relaxed and you can just chill all day, plenty of time to get supplies etc...

early bird is great, we were in a group of 25, and so we needed as much space as possible, we got in on the wednesday and camped in red, which is never usually busy, and managed to get more than enough space for those coming on the thursday, this year, definitely going early bird, its useful so you can get a bit more space, and another day of drinking and relaxing is always good