Victorious Festival Portsmouth - Dizzee Rascal and Seasick Steve to headline

Guest dan8k

Its on Southsea common, so the very southern tip of Portsmouth (I guess you could describe it as the south-west corner?)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Southsea+Bandstand/@50.7796679,-1.0904374,17z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xa24312b4abfda461

Hopefully that'll link you to where it is :P

Edited by MattDavies__

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those not from the area worrying about where to stay, I wouldn't be too put off by having to stay in places a couple of miles away from the site. Taxis are VERY cheap. If you stay in the southern part of the island it shouldn't cost more than £5-10 each way even on the bank holiday. There are loads of B&Bs in Southsea which (as mentioned above) will probably hike prices/fill up but are a very short distance away.

For those not from the area worrying about where to stay, I wouldn't be too put off by having to stay in places a couple of miles away from the site. Taxis are VERY cheap. If you stay in the southern part of the island it shouldn't cost more than £5-10 each way even on the bank holiday. There are loads of B&Bs in Southsea which (as mentioned above) will probably hike prices/fill up but are a very short distance away.

Yeah Tom is from Chichester (where I live :P) which is just down the road so that's probably right. Not sure about the Lily Allen link though. Ocean Colour Scene sounds like a good guess from the clue as well.

Cheers. Looks like a lot are fully booked already but hoping to get sommat booked this week.

Think Lily Allen 'found' Tom Odell. Like she hasn't done enough damage to the world of popular music with her own stuff...

The new Castle Field site for this Festival is the same seafront site used by the Heineken Big Top Festivals many years ago. Lovely on a sunny day. Not so lovely if wet or windy as gales can blow straight in off the English Channel.

No camping facilities nearby but plenty of reasonably-priced B&Bs within walking distance.

Victorious was a huge success in the Portsmouth Dockyard last year. Business-wise it works on the principle of maximising attendance through very cheap ticket prices then making money from the bar and food concessions. The move to Southsea seafront provides more space (it was very cramped last year) though it may create some security problems for the organisers. Travel-wise it's 20 minutes walk or taxi from Portsmouth & Southsea or Portsmouth Harbour stations. Note that parking in Portsmouth can be expensive.

I'd recommend Victorious. The organisers know what they're doing, the tickets are dirt-cheap for the high quality music on offer, you've got the facilities of a city all around you and can't really go wrong.

Victorious was a huge success in the Portsmouth Dockyard last year. Business-wise it works on the principle of maximising attendance through very cheap ticket prices then making money from the bar and food concessions.

Don't mind paying over the odds for a beer as long as I don't have to queue for an hour to get it! Never makes sense to me when organisers don't have enough staff on.

Edited by Flaminglippy

Bit annoyed that for such a small festival a few things that I want to see are likely to clash - they all seem to be on the Sunday! Looks like I might have a quiet day on the Saturday - only really PSB that I'm fussed about. Hopefully the 'Special Guest' on the Acoustic stage is someone good. Is Ben Ottewell around?

Bit annoyed that for such a small festival a few things that I want to see are likely to clash - they all seem to be on the Sunday! Looks like I might have a quiet day on the Saturday - only really PSB that I'm fussed about. Hopefully the 'Special Guest' on the Acoustic stage is someone good. Is Ben Ottewell around?

Yeah, was thinking the same thing. Looks like potentially Beans on Toast, Shed and either DLS v SP or BSP will all clash. Bummer!

Does anyone that went last year remember if the DJ's (e.g. 2manydjs) go on after the main stage acts have finished or are they on at the same time?

I dont think theres much of a difference. Last year it was T.E.E.D into Dj Yoda in the dance tent and level 42 on the main stage. I saw a bit of both tents and from memory they either finish at the same time or the dance tent finishes 30 minutes later or so. However, the new location is completely different with less housing in close proximity so i imagine the licensing may change.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Don't mind paying over the odds for a beer as long as I don't have to queue for an hour to get it! Never makes sense to me when organisers don't have enough staff on.

Being in a different location this year will hopefully sort it out. Last year was a bit of a nightmare to get drink because the bars were all in bottleneck locations. would have worked out ok if they had an in and out system for the bar. Also, the food stalls usually had queues that were about 45 mins to an hour long, and when you got to the front you found that they had sold out of everything except half a sausage, but will still charge you £9 for the privilege of looking at it.

It was still an enjoyable festival, but the location really hampered it. Being on concrete meant you couldn't really sit down, not enough toilets, not enough food stalls. And the security there were proper dicks last year.

I think they banned entry to the 2nd stage after 10.30 or something, So when the headliner on the main stage finished at 11pm, you couldn't go into the other tent, you just got ejected from the festival