PEARL JAM

Guest Olivavu

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Warhol? As in holes? :P

I quite liked ET, but I haven't watched it in years. Al, well that was a bit ordinary, but I seem to recall my sister eating a lot of the associated chewing hum.

I can't see the connection between ET, Al and postmodernism, though.

This thread is giving me a headache. It should have been locked ages ago on H&S grounds :blink:

Every time I come back to this thread I find myself asking 'Is work really THIS boring?'

Talk about the height of pedantry and over music! Something that has absolutely nothing to do with better or worse.

I'm listening to Hall and Oates right now. Puff on that one.

Cultseeker, your talk of 'genius' and 'originality' make me smile because Pearl Jam are an extremely unoriginal and derivative band.

Oh and how could I forget Supergrass funkymunky? Love them!

Edited by PaulJam

They are not Brit Pop.

Manics represented a new and innovative idea as too did Reef. As this was not commercialy viable and no one else was around them to fully establish a 'scene' as such, they were faced with two choices. Go it alone and recede or sell out and maintain popularity. Skunk Anansie were a straight forward rock band from day one.

The over exposure of Brit Pop ripped away what could have been with Reef, Feeder et al and to a lesser extent the Manics. This is why I refer to Brit Pop as a veil.

Edited by funkymunkey

It seems strange to me that such open-minded music fans, with undoubted thousands of tracks on media player or whatever (as we've been told many times) struggle to see beyond their own tastes and simply acknowledge those of others.
Edited by Cultseeker

Every time I come back to this thread I find myself asking 'Is work really THIS boring?'

Talk about the height of pedantry and over music! Something that has absolutely nothing to do with better or worse.

Cultseeker, your talk of 'genius' and 'originality' make me smile because Pearl Jam are an extremely unoriginal and derivative band.

Merit is comparative.

If it wasn't we would say that someone who blinks is talented. When compared to everyone else the persons talent for blinking is diminished. Brit Pop halted the progress of a truly diverse musical scene by unifying and pedelling dull crap as British genius to the rest of the world.

Incorrect. Grunge (with its forerunners) are still operant now. The British press just shone its light elsewhere. I lived through that and was making my way through as a music journo at the time. Grunge is still going on, it never died. However, the British perseption is that it did. The reaction to Pearl Jam as a headliner in the British press is testament to that.

I really am bordering on the 'you clearly weren't there' sentiment which I do rather abhor, but you constantly show such lack of insight into what music is actually about that I'm feeling rather compelled to do so.

Do you work for NME per chance? ;)

I know, it was a joke. The POM singer guy claimed to have written the first grunge song.

A real answer - Mudhoney, who I actually like! And I think The Melvins too. Although, like most grunge bands, they could easily be classified as other genres - grunge is just as vague a genre as Brit-pop.