Word of the day.

Yoghurt on a Stick

40 minutes ago, feral chile said:

I like that one too. It's got a lovely sound to it.

It does have a lovely sound to it. I like the sound of this one too;

rhombus
ˈrɒmbəs/
noun
Geometry
noun: rhombus; plural noun: rhombi; plural noun: rhombuses
  1. a quadrilateral all of whose sides have the same length.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

I think its just a 4 sided shape from memory

You are right (I had to look it up!);

quadrilateral
ˌkwɒdrɪˈlat(ə)r(ə)l/
noun
noun: quadrilateral; plural noun: quadrilaterals
  1. 1.
    a four-sided figure.
adjective
adjective: quadrilateral
  1. 1.
    having four straight sides.

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

You are right (I had to look it up!);

quadrilateral
ˌkwɒdrɪˈlat(ə)r(ə)l/
noun
noun: quadrilateral; plural noun: quadrilaterals
  1. 1.
    a four-sided figure.
adjective
adjective: quadrilateral
  1. 1.
    having four straight sides.

new word of the day then :P

seeing as though I probably won't post tomorrow, I will put a word up for tomorrow today. Love the way this word sounds when it rolls off the tongue:

sycophantic
adjective

1. behaving or done in an obsequious way in order to gain advantage.

basically kissing arse for anyone who doesn't know what obsequious means :P

marsupial
mɑːˈsuːpɪəl/
Zoology
noun
noun: marsupial; plural noun: marsupials
  1. 1.
    a mammal of an order whose members are born incompletely developed and are typically carried and suckled in a pouch on the mother's belly. Marsupials are found chiefly in Australia and New Guinea, and also in America.
adjective
adjective: marsupial
  1. 1.
    relating to the marsupials.

barnacle
ˈbɑːnək(ə)l/
noun
noun: barnacle; plural noun: barnacles
  1. a marine crustacean with an external shell, which attaches itself permanently to a surface and feeds by filtering particles from the water using its modified feathery legs.
    • used in similes to describe a tenacious person or thing.
      "buses careered along with men hanging from their doors like barnacles"

thingmy

Ed

AdjectiveEdit

thingmy ‎(comparative more thingmysuperlative most thingmy)

1. (informal, chiefly  Scotland) Agitatedflusteredin a lather.
    • 2005Qualitative Research in Health Care (ed. Immy Holloway), Open University Press (2005), ISBN 9780335212941, page 68:
      If a guy is going to get thingmy when he sees a women pull her breast out then he is not much a guy is he.

NounEdit

thingmy ‎(plural thingmies)

1. (informal, chiefly  Scotland) Thing.
    • 2000, Susie Maguire, The Short Hello, Polygon (2000), ISBN 9780748662715:
      It was a huge, massive great place, with loads of people dragging lights around, and tiers of seating, and a big blonde woman wearing earmuff thingmies[]

QuotationsEdit

Welsh words that slipped into English speaking Welsh people (Wenglish)

Cwtch

Welsh word for an affectionate hug. There's no literal English translation, but its nearest equivlent is "safe place". So if you give someone a cwtch, you're giving them a "safe place".

It can also be used as a place to store things safely (usually a cupboard under a staircase)

"Give me a cwtch"

"Put your jacket in the cwtch"

My family also used to tell the dog to cwtch (settle). And 'cwtch down' is to crouch.

We like getting a lot of use out of our words :D

Disclaimer: got this from the urban dictionary. For any English people who find this offensive, take solace when you look up 'tamping'

Welsh

A race that is misunderstood by their neighbours the English due to their craftiness and intelligence. The English call the Welsh sheep-shaggers due to an old trick used by the Welsh against their gullible English neighbours in medievel times, when the English had a nasty habit of fucking sheep. When Wales adopted English law they noticed the penalty for shagging a sheep was less than stealing one (due to the English's habit) so whenever they were caught stealing a sheep they would instead say they were planning to fuck it instead to avoid the fine.
Therefore there is a very long list of crimes involving Welshmen shagging sheep, although it is only the English who would actually ever fuck a sheep, it is just another example of the Welsh tricking the English once again.
Englishman "You are going to have your hand chopped off with an axe because you stole a sheep."

Welshman "I was infact taking the sheep to fuck."

Englishman "Oh, thats good then our law endorses sheep shaggers. You will only have to lose a finger".

Edited by feral chile

15 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

With no vowels, you need to make the consonants go a long way I suppose. 

Just lazy :D

It's actually poor translation into English from Welsh, a lot of the time.

'catch my hand' because 'dal' means 'catch' and 'hold'.

Lend used for both lending and borrowing because the Welsh word is the same for both.

Oh, and actually Welsh has 7 vowels.

Edited by feral chile

stonk|ing1

[ˈstɒŋkɪŋ]

ADJECTIVE

BRIT.

informal

used to emphasize something impressive, exciting, or very large:

"a stonking 207 mph maximum speed" ·

[More]

"a stonking good model"

synonyms: extremely · very · really · thoroughly · exceedingly

46 minutes ago, feral chile said:

Disclaimer: got this from the urban dictionary. For any English people who find this offensive, take solace when you look up 'tamping'

Welsh

A race that is misunderstood by their neighbours the English due to their craftiness and intelligence. The English call the Welsh sheep-shaggers due to an old trick used by the Welsh against their gullible English neighbours in medievel times, when the English had a nasty habit of fucking sheep. When Wales adopted English law they noticed the penalty for shagging a sheep was less than stealing one (due to the English's habit) so whenever they were caught stealing a sheep they would instead say they were planning to fuck it instead to avoid the fine.
Therefore there is a very long list of crimes involving Welshmen shagging sheep, although it is only the English who would actually ever fuck a sheep, it is just another example of the Welsh tricking the English once again.
Englishman "You are going to have your hand chopped off with an axe because you stole a sheep."

Welshman "I was infact taking the sheep to fuck."

Englishman "Oh, thats good then our law endorses sheep shaggers. You will only have to lose a finger".

You'll possibly not believe this but many years ago in a pub in Wales I was introduced to a bloke (Welsh, I'm afraid feral) who had freely admitted to shagging a cow. To make matters worse he had burnt the barn down (with the animals in it) to destroy the evidence. I asked around about this from others to see if he was pulling my leg (and to judge to see if they were pulling my leg too) but apparently he wasn't and was actually facing criminal charges about it. I never did find out what happened to him because I stopped going to that village. Thinking about it, I know someone who still visits the village - I'm going to ask him what happened. Watch this space........

37 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

You'll possibly not believe this but many years ago in a pub in Wales I was introduced to a bloke (Welsh, I'm afraid feral) who had freely admitted to shagging a cow. To make matters worse he had burnt the barn down (with the animals in it) to destroy the evidence. I asked around about this from others to see if he was pulling my leg (and to judge to see if they were pulling my leg too) but apparently he wasn't and was actually facing criminal charges about it. I never did find out what happened to him because I stopped going to that village. Thinking about it, I know someone who still visits the village - I'm going to ask him what happened. Watch this space........

I can believe it. I once knew a social researcher who had to ask people their sexual history, and was gobsmacked when one admitted (sheepishly) to shagging a goat. I kid you not(!) He pretended to drop his pen so he could laugh without upsetting the guy. When he recovered himself, their eyes met and they both convulsed (with laughter).

17 minutes ago, feral chile said:

I can believe it. I once knew a social researcher who had to ask people their sexual history, and was gobsmacked when one admitted (sheepishly) to shagging a goat. I kid you not(!) He pretended to drop his pen so he could laugh without upsetting the guy. When he recovered himself, their eyes met and they both convulsed (with laughter).

Maybe he was a pagan and got his goat and his virgin mixed up on the summer solstice.

Love the sheep / goat jokes. There's even a play on words with the word pen to be had milieage out of.

assemblage
əˈsɛmblɪdʒ/
noun

1. a collection or gathering of things or people.
    "a loose assemblage of diverse groups"

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Not too sure that this is going to work on here;

As an aside it's the first time i've heard snow patrol for a good while and i've felt the need to revisit them and i'm not disappointed  

37 minutes ago, OG said:
assemblage
əˈsɛmblɪdʒ/
noun

1. a collection or gathering of things or people.
    "a loose assemblage of diverse groups"

A fine word indeed.