Benicàssim 2014

Guest SteveGuppy

Optimus..

Going to both and so far there's 7 bands from Optimus I'm really looking forward to and 9 from Beni, although I think it probably will be the same (if Beni get another) I'd like the final headline announcements for the festivals to be different, any from Snow patrol, Killers, Editors, Strokes, Coldplay, Mumfords would do nicely!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went last year and the only bad part about the whole holiday was that we had no shade where we were camping, so we only got about 2 hours sleep each night because of the heat in the morning. This year obviously well try get a spot with some shade but if not does anyone have any tips to keep the tent cool so I won't feel like I'm in a microwave when I wake up.

Went last year and the only bad part about the whole holiday was that we had no shade where we were camping, so we only got about 2 hours sleep each night because of the heat in the morning. This year obviously well try get a spot with some shade but if not does anyone have any tips to keep the tent cool so I won't feel like I'm in a microwave when I wake up.

Stick some tarpaulin up around your tent for shade if you have trees, can't help otherwise.

First time at Benicassim, hotel, flights, tickets and trains all booked. BUZZING.

Quick Question.. What's drink prices like at the Festival? Obviously always robbed £4.50 a pint at the UK ones.

Line up is looking brilliant, most excited about Kasabian and Libs. Wouldnt be arsed about seeing Coldplay as they would do mostly new stuff which is TERRIBLE / I'd still go see them if they were announced like. A good addition would be Biffy Clyro, seen them at Leeds Fest last year and V Fest the a few years back, real good band! Would love another headliner to be announced as I don't think P.N and Tinnie deserve them slots (that is of course if they have them!)

It's a lot more expensive in the festival than the uk ones. 9 euros (3 vouchers) for an alcoholic drink last time. It's way cheaper just to walk out of the gate and buy a can from one of the locals for a euro. Loads of them have trailers and attach them to their bikes and cycle up to the entrance. Ice cold for a euro! The local supermarket sells cans at 30 cents, and even 3 cartons of wine for 1.40. Cheap as chips. My tip is drink before entry, and then have the odd walk to the front entrance (hundreds hang out there,, sitting around chatting, great atmosphere) for a beer. Only time I bought beer inside was during the main acts I wanted to see. Rest of time was at the front entrance. Plus there was the time I managed to smuggle a small bottle of vodka in, and then just paid 3 euros for a large coke when I wanted one. ;)

Edited by NipzBGD

It's a lot more expensive in the festival than the uk ones. 9 euros (3 vouchers) for an alcoholic drink last time. It's way cheaper just to walk out of the gate and buy a can from one of the locals for a euro. Loads of them have trailers and attach them to their bikes and cycle up to the entrance. Ice cold for a euro! The local supermarket sells cans at 30 cents, and even 3 cartons of wine for 1.40. Cheap as chips. My tip is drink before entry, and then have the odd walk to the front entrance (hundreds hang out there,, sitting around chatting, great atmosphere) for a beer. Only time I bought beer inside was during the main acts I wanted to see. Rest of time was at the front entrance. Plus there was the time I managed to smuggle a small bottle of vodka in, and then just paid 3 euros for a large coke when I wanted one. ;)

9 euros a litre. 9 euros = £7.29 (call it £7.30)

1 litre = 2 pints so a pint is £3.65. Much cheaper than the £4-£5 prices of UK festivals. Although I agree it's still a fucking rip off.

Any mention of a headline slot in Spain?

Nope! Seemed like an ok bloke. He did well on stage to gee the crowd up etc, looked reasonably fun. I can see a fair few people seeing him at beni we've just got to pray he's not the headliner as we've been discussing!

Jake bugg and paolo nutini looked good. Kasabian looked ridiculously fun! So glad I'm seeing them twice this year!

Yeah get some white tarp, put it over the tent and string it up to a tree or other tents. I had a black tent last year and managed to sleep till 11 most days

So very long shot here;

Looks like Radio 3 are announcing the winner of that Proyecta Demo competition at 8 tonight (7pm British time) which of course is the time Benn likes to announce acts for his other festivals.

Could we get any other bands alongside the winner?

I guess you could look at it two ways as some people have said......either they are struggling to fill in some of the gaps......or.........they have acts that are embargoed until they get the 'ok'.

Personally I think it is the latter and still think these will be Morrissey (Thursday) and Coldplay (Sunday).

Having a look on Spanish websites, there is this from 1st May:

http://www.gonzoo.com/creadores/story/comienza-la-temporada-de-los-festivales-musicales-1617/

Las quinielas apuntan a estrellas como Morrisey, Beck o Coldplay como posibles candidatos con sus respectivos nuevos lanzamientos

or care of Google translate:

The pools point to stars like Morrissey, Beck and Coldplay as possible candidates with their respective new releases

......however, this one is maybe more interesting.......from the 21st May

http://www.tiramillas.net/2014/05/21/musica/1400667418.html

Los fibers están esperando las grandes confirmaciones pero suenan que irán grupos de la talla de Coldplay y figuras como la de Morrissey (que alcanzó la excelencia en la década de 1980 como el letrista y vocalista de la banda británica The Smiths).

The fibers are waiting for confirmations but large groups that will sound the likes of Coldplay and figures like Morrissey (who achieved excellence in the 1980s as the lyricist and vocalist of British band The Smiths).

.......the particularly interesting thing is that they have picked out this paragraph further down the article and on the left hand side there is a picture of the line up with a picture of Coldplay underneath........hmmmmm???

But heh, for all I know they could just be speculating like everyone else and know absolutely zilch.

Morrissey, Kasabian, Libertines, Coldplay would do me fine thanks :)

In terms of other acts, I wouldn't mind:

Ray Davies (conveniently playing in Madrid on the 20th!)

War on Drugs, Haim, Chrissie Hynde, Mogwai and Augustines (all at Melvin Benn's Latitude)

In terms of DJs, maybe Zane Lowe, Tom Middleton, DJ Yoda, David Rodigan and Norman Jay.

I guess you could look at it two ways as some people have said......either they are struggling to fill in some of the gaps......or.........they have acts that are embargoed until they get the 'ok'.

Personally I think it is the latter and still think these will be Morrissey (Thursday) and Coldplay (Sunday).

Having a look on Spanish websites, there is this from 1st May:

http://www.gonzoo.com/creadores/story/comienza-la-temporada-de-los-festivales-musicales-1617/

Las quinielas apuntan a estrellas como Morrisey, Beck o Coldplay como posibles candidatos con sus respectivos nuevos lanzamientos

or care of Google translate:

The pools point to stars like Morrissey, Beck and Coldplay as possible candidates with their respective new releases

......however, this one is maybe more interesting.......from the 21st May

http://www.tiramillas.net/2014/05/21/musica/1400667418.html

Los fibers están esperando las grandes confirmaciones pero suenan que irán grupos de la talla de Coldplay y figuras como la de Morrissey (que alcanzó la excelencia en la década de 1980 como el letrista y vocalista de la banda británica The Smiths).

The fibers are waiting for confirmations but large groups that will sound the likes of Coldplay and figures like Morrissey (who achieved excellence in the 1980s as the lyricist and vocalist of British band The Smiths).

.......the particularly interesting thing is that they have picked out this paragraph further down the article and on the left hand side there is a picture of the line up with a picture of Coldplay underneath........hmmmmm???

But heh, for all I know they could just be speculating like everyone else and know absolutely zilch.

Morrissey, Kasabian, Libertines, Coldplay would do me fine thanks :)

In terms of other acts, I wouldn't mind:

Ray Davies (conveniently playing in Madrid on the 20th!)

War on Drugs, Haim, Chrissie Hynde, Mogwai and Augustines (all at Melvin Benn's Latitude)

In terms of DJs, maybe Zane Lowe, Tom Middleton, DJ Yoda, David Rodigan and Norman Jay.

I'd be happy with that. Couldn't care less about coldplay but if it means getting Moz I'm all for it. Moz would do for me. If he headlines the Thursday, Paolo can stay there.

Although that article you posted from the 1st is taken from something that was posed ages ago. I remember reading those same words, The pools point to stars like Morrissey, Beck and Coldplay as possible candidates with their respective new releases, back in February.

I'd be happy with that. Couldn't care less about coldplay but if it means getting Moz I'm all for it. Moz would do for me. If he headlines the Thursday, Paolo can stay there.

Although that article you posted from the 1st is taken from something that was posed ages ago. I remember reading those same words, The pools point to stars like Morrissey, Beck and Coldplay as possible candidates with their respective new releases, back in February.

Yeah, I had put the link on the old thread. Guess they may have 'recycled' it......may even be a linked website, no idea!

Anyway, the second link was the more relevant and only posted 5 days ago.

Whatever you think about Coldplay they do put on a good show, but yeah, I get they are not to everyone's taste ;)

Lets be honest. They don't have an act up their sleeves...I think the Libertines being released showed that. But, if they are getting desperate maybe they would go back to other bands that had turned them down before and offer more money. Either way, TT can't be headlining and i find it hard to believe Paolo is aswell. I like his stuff but its not really suited for a big stage in a headline slot - Especially closing the festival.

No doubt that Tinie Tempa and Paolo Nutini currently are the headliners, Beni's just not admitting it yet because they're desperately trying to seal a better deal.

Keep in mind that less than a month ago, their facebook page subtly said that Kasabian was the only booked headliner so far. Libertines was a lucky shot, but 2-3 lucky shots this close to the festival, can't see it.

Yeah, I had put the link on the old thread. Guess they may have 'recycled' it......may even be a linked website, no idea!

Anyway, the second link was the more relevant and only posted 5 days ago.

Whatever you think about Coldplay they do put on a good show, but yeah, I get they are not to everyone's taste ;)

I don't dislike them, I just have no feelings towards them either way. To me they're a bit like the killers, ok. I would much rather them than a band I don't like ie KOL, Biffy Clyro, Franz F, Prodigy, Calvin etc. I've heard they are good live though, so I would much prefer them over Eminem to.

People calling for Morrissey, The Strokes and Lana Del Rey to headline over Eminem? Eminem may not be your cup of tea but at the end of the day, he'd shift the tickets to sell out the festival, neither of those 3 other acts would as good as they'd be.

Tinie Tempah is on par with Lana in terms of size, I don't think people are gonna pay all the money to go abroad and watch lana either.

No doubt that Tinie Tempa and Paolo Nutini currently are the headliners, Beni's just not admitting it yet because they're desperately trying to seal a better deal.

Keep in mind that less than a month ago, their facebook page subtly said that Kasabian was the only booked headliner so far. Libertines was a lucky shot, but 2-3 lucky shots this close to the festival, can't see it.

Hence why I believe the strokes are in with a shot. A festival now and another in August with AHJ touring Europe in between. Seems like it would be another lucky opportunity to jump at.

Darren Harrington When are the next announcements and hopefully the ACTUAL headliners, FIB?

FIB Hi Darren, we can't say exactly when. But we're trying to make it as quickly as possible!!!!!!!!

So they are probably at least trying to get headliners this is good message.

Edited by muflon

People calling for Morrissey, The Strokes and Lana Del Rey to headline over Eminem? Eminem may not be your cup of tea but at the end of the day, he'd shift the tickets to sell out the festival, neither of those 3 other acts would as good as they'd be.

Tinie Tempah is on par with Lana in terms of size, I don't think people are gonna pay all the money to go abroad and watch lana either.

The sad thing is Muzzy that Eminem is my cup of tea. At least he was. He is shit now though, so I am making my call purely from an enjoyment v cheapest budget point of view. Eminem is nought but an expensive dud.

Someone said that someone posted something on a forum saying that Eminem had a date in Spain booked for the 17th of July. I doubt if it is true, that it's Beni purely from the fact that they have released the day ticket prices and Thursday is cheaper than the other days. I doubt that if they had Eminem up their sleeve, or even on the cards, that Eminem who as you say would sell out the festival would play on the cheapest day. Maybe he will play the Sunday but I really doubt they have the budget for him. The Libertines are an amazing get for them, I honestly think that if they didn't put Tinie Tempah name as a place holding headliner, they would have shifted a lot more tickets on the Libs and Kasabian alone.

You're right that Lana and Tinie are roughly the same size. I definitely think more people could stomach Lana as a headliner over TT though. Some people might say that Nickelback are an even bigger band then both of them.. I would still take Lana. Morrissey really is the best we can hope for on the Thursday based on day ticket prices.

Edited by Mokes

The sad thing is Muzzy that Eminem is my cup of tea. At least he was. He is shit now though, so I am making my call purely from an enjoyment v cheapest budget point of view. Eminem is nought but an expensive dud.

Someone said that someone posted something on a forum saying that Eminem had a date in Spain booked for the 17th of July. I doubt if it is true, that it's Beni purely from the fact that they have released the day ticket prices and Thursday is cheaper than the other days. I doubt that if they had Eminem up their sleeve, or even on the cards, that Eminem who as you say would sell out the festival would play on the cheapest day. Maybe he will play the Sunday but I really doubt they have the budget for him. The Libertines are an amazing get for them, I honestly think that if they didn't put Tinie Tempah name as a place holding headliner, they would have shifted a lot more tickets on the Libs and Kasabian alone.

You're right that Lana and Tinie are roughly the same size. I definitely think more people could stomach Lana as a headliner over TT though. Some people might say that Nickelback are an even bigger band then both of them.. I would still take Lana. Morrissey really is the best we can hope for on the Thursday based on day ticket prices.

Nickelback are bigger, only problem with that, they're shit.