Young children under 12

Guest bagelbee

I'm going with my kids 12 & 9 years old.

Is anyone taking young kids to Reading festival this year?

Also I want to ask who has been to Reading before with young children,what did parents and kids think about the festival?

Any tip???

I can offer no real practical advice but I've been with friends who have taken children of that age and the main problem seemed to be boredom when in the arena. There's a funfair and a quieter campsite if you just wanted to relax or hang around the tent but once in the arena there isn't much for kids.

I don't want to scaremonger but I'd say just be aware that Reading has gone to the effort of stressing that it isn't set up to accomodate children or families in any special way. I'm sure that there will be times around the campsite or in the arena (especially toilets) that will be dangerous and scary and also times where children will hear/see inappropriate language/behaviour, any complaints or concerns (either directed at individuals or the organisers) are likely to be rebuffed fairly swiftly. Some people will obviously see kids around and act accordingly but as harsh as it sounds don't expect any special tretment or considerations because there are kids around, people will still act like idiots or push to get into the toilets or stages.

Here's a news story from 2009:

http://www.getreading.co.uk/entertainment/music/s/2054032_reading_festival_is_not_suitable_for_children

And some bits from the info section on the official site:

Please note that there is no separate children's area at this event and that there is NO Family Camping at the event either. White campsite has historically been our quiet campsite and so those who wish for somewhere away from the hub may wish to use the bridge to cross.

I'm going with my kids 12 & 9 years old.

Is anyone taking young kids to Reading festival this year?

Also I want to ask who has been to Reading before with young children,what did parents and kids think about the festival?

Any tip???

[/qu

From my own experience taking the kids has never been a problem. I started taking my children back in 2003 and they have always had a great time. Readings appeal is that it embraces a varied audience. The benefits have been that my kids have grown up with a pretty good outlook on music.

To:mrtrourett,

Thank you for your concern and information.I have been researching & thinking about taking kids to the festival for a while as this year's Reading there will be some of our kids' favorites bands and also looks like less people going which is for our favour,,,,,

I do understand this festival is not suitable for younger one but I think our kids are ready to go for the first time.

I have talked about good and bad things about the festival to our kids,they are aware of a lot of drugs and drunkn people will be around them,even smelly toilet!!However these didn't put them off.Wish us luck.

To:Interpol1

Thank you for your reply,I would agree with you that kids will have good outlook in music,I hope our kids will have a good time as I will be!!!

To:mrtrourett,

Thank you for your concern and information.I have been researching & thinking about taking kids to the festival for a while as this year's Reading there will be some of our kids' favorites bands and also looks like less people going which is for our favour,,,,,

I do understand this festival is not suitable for younger one but I think our kids are ready to go for the first time.

I have talked about good and bad things about the festival to our kids,they are aware of a lot of drugs and drunkn people will be around them,even smelly toilet!!However these didn't put them off.Wish us luck.

If you haven't been to the festival yourself before, then I recommend camping in the White campsite. It is traditionally the quieter campsite, and you are more likely to find other people camping with their family. Possibly be a nice idea to set up camp next to another family and get to know them, and your kids can make some friends?

Only downside to camping in white is it's distance from the arena, which means quite alot of walking each day!

Anything else i would advise has already been said, so good luck and I hope you and your kids enjoy the festival!

• 2 weeks later...

if they get bored send them round the arena to collect cups and make themselves a few bob, 12 is pretty old as far as kids go, make sure the 9 year old sticks to him/ her.

Saw loads of young kids doing it last year, unless there was a midget gathering that were all desperate for beer.

Edited by Mega Ross

We will be camping in White campsite as recommended by so many people with children.

We don't mind walking and dosen't look that far to walk someone says 30 minutes or so...is it true?

Also we can take boat to white camp,it might be fun for kids.

Hope we will meet some simmilar age kids on site.

What is collecting cups about?

Edited by bagelbee

This thread makes me wonder if it'd be possible to assemble an army of kids under 13 (free entry) to collect cups in the arena and make a bit of dosh off them.

(This is a joke, I'm not quite that bad)

• 2 weeks later...

To:meoww999

Thank you for your comment,we will keep our eyes on suspicious? people around us.

Our kids loves music too,they are more keen to go to Reading than us.....but I don't think our kids won't be able to stay at arena all day long.

Is there anywhere my boy can kick a football or flying a kite or something to do apart from music?

We are thinking about taking our kids to swimming pool nearby or walk by the river.

Any tip?

To:meoww999

Thank you for your comment,we will keep our eyes on suspicious? people around us.

Our kids loves music too,they are more keen to go to Reading than us.....but I don't think our kids won't be able to stay at arena all day long.

Is there anywhere my boy can kick a football or flying a kite or something to do apart from music?

We are thinking about taking our kids to swimming pool nearby or walk by the river.

Any tip?

Edited by micawber

• 2 weeks later...

I took my 2 oldest to V in 2003 when they were 12 and 11 - thinking it would be 'safer' than Reading. Ha, been to Reading ever since. LAst year, I took my youngest - 13 - but he's also disabled, so that's how confident I have become. Mind you, I always hotel it rather than camp.

There are plenty of parks and riverwalks around, but the distance to travel in/out of the arena/site is pretty far (for a small child) especially among the crowds getting in and out.

We always used to watch the mainstage headliners near the front but looking side on from the far left. There you'll find plenty of safe space near the burger vans. Earlier in the day, a spot near the barrier is perfect for protecting them from moving crowds.

Watch out for running 15/16/17 year olds, trying to get to their 'important' acts. They wont see, and some wont care, that your children are in their path.

Some arseholes do throw things, and sometimes with unpleasant things in. Wear hats! I don't bother too much because I know I'll be having a bath/shower in the morning!

I found that the kids love spending time looking around the market stalls and shops.

I DO expect something 'bad' to happen sometime. I'm a realist - law of averages and all that. But life is all about taking risks.

I stole this from official boards - to give crdit a user caled supernice wrote it.

White

Pros

* Quiet. This capsite is the furthest from the arena, over the bridge from Brown, next to white car park. It has a bit of a reputation as being quiet and so is filled with a much older cohort (average age early 30s?). If you want to get your head down, or have a much more chilled camping experience, White is your best bet.

* Has a bit more of a 'hippy vibe'. This is where campervans are parked and people with kids come to camp. Because it's cut-off from the rest of the campsite, and has many facilties, it probably has the most tight-knit community feel. Great atmosphere.

* Arguably the best, and most underused, facilities on site. Showers, more than one toilet site, first aid centre, pint cup refund, a number of food & drink carts, a bar!, and a firewood shop, means that you have everything you need here.

* Campsite toilets are cleanest and most underused in white.

* A stones throw away from white car park. Not only do you not have to walk far, but you'll also be the first ones to leave the campsite on Monday morning (no queueing).

Cons

* Distance. This is pretty much the only drawback of white (apart from being quiet, if you don't like that sort of thing). Bring your hiking boots, because a round trip from white to the arena is probably not far shy of a 5 mile round trip. This is why it's facilities are so good, because white is self contained. You don't need to walk far for something to eat because once you make your way to the arena, you're not coming back until the end of the day. If you do make more than one round trip, you're talking about some serious blister-enducing distance. That's not taking into consideration the walking about and standing around you'll do in the arena all day. In all seriousness, my suggestion would be to buy some quality hiking boots.

edited to add - you can use the boat to avoid most of the walking, kids probably would enjoy that to!

Edited by Messi30

Not been to white on foot, but didn't think it was quite 2.5 miles.

Will be a decent walk, however.

As for a bit of a kick around - if you go a bit further down the Thames, there's various grass fields etc. Also there's limited space between the festival and the river. There may be some more space further down; not sure how far the festival extends (have often cycled along there when the festival isn't on, but had no reason to explore when it is.)

There's bits and pieces of 'green' around being close to both town centre (so parks) and countryside.

I took my 4 year old son to Reading a couple of years ago, I have to say compared to Glastonbury or the other festivals with dedicated kids areas, Reading is NOT a kid friendly festival and in my opinion, not a great place to take youngsters.

It is OK until after dark, when there are too many dangers and drunk people.

That said, we had a great time, but when it comes to kids, Reading simply doesn't compare to the true festival experience your kids would get by going somewhere that isn't just about the music and has dedicated entertainment and activities for children.

I don't mean to sound negative, but I have been there and done it...put it this way, it's just me and the wife going to Reading this year, but we have all just done the weekend at Guilfest as a family...

Advice for in the arena: -have regular meeting points between bands to check up on them

-make sure they stick together

-give them a laminated piece of card with emergancy numbers on. not just a phone. (One year my friend who was coming for a day lost his phone and couldnt find us, plus since he wasnt camping he didnt know where we would be camping, and we actually found him crying in the welfare tent at 4 in the morning on the monday. He was 16. basicly you need to make sure they always have a way of contacting you cos its very scary when you lose your parents in a massive place like that as a child.)

-Buy them a giant yorkshire pudding to blow their minds

I've taken my eldest since he was 4, now he's 8 and he's looking forward to rocking hard yet again at Reading this year. Maybe I'm a bit more relaxed than other parents but he loves it. I also take all three of my kids to Glastonbury every year now 3,5 and 8 years old. No problems and although a different fest without them, I'd hate to leave them at home. I'm not the chilling by the tent type parent either, it's all go with or without the kids. There's just one thing that makes it harder than anything else, bad weather.

Last year at Reading my then 7 year old made himself £25 collecting cups. I must say tho he's probably a bit more savvy than most 7 year olds, good sense of direction etc and very street/festwise. Knows surprisingly well how to deal with drunk happy/unhappy people and also how to talk to strangers and when to stop talking!

• 2 weeks later...

Advice for in the arena: -have regular meeting points between bands to check up on them

-make sure they stick together

-give them a laminated piece of card with emergancy numbers on. not just a phone. (One year my friend who was coming for a day lost his phone and couldnt find us, plus since he wasnt camping he didnt know where we would be camping, and we actually found him crying in the welfare tent at 4 in the morning on the monday. He was 16. basicly you need to make sure they always have a way of contacting you cos its very scary when you lose your parents in a massive place like that as a child.)

-Buy them a giant yorkshire pudding to blow their minds

I've taken my eldest since he was 4, now he's 8 and he's looking forward to rocking hard yet again at Reading this year. Maybe I'm a bit more relaxed than other parents but he loves it. I also take all three of my kids to Glastonbury every year now 3,5 and 8 years old. No problems and although a different fest without them, I'd hate to leave them at home. I'm not the chilling by the tent type parent either, it's all go with or without the kids. There's just one thing that makes it harder than anything else, bad weather.

Last year at Reading my then 7 year old made himself £25 collecting cups. I must say tho he's probably a bit more savvy than most 7 year olds, good sense of direction etc and very street/festwise. Knows surprisingly well how to deal with drunk happy/unhappy people and also how to talk to strangers and when to stop talking!