Volunteering

Guest LennonMcCartney

i think oxfam is 3 x 8 hour shifts.

i volunteered at leeds fest this year for hotbox events as a campsite assistant and we had to do 9am-5pm, 5pm-1am, 1am-9am. i'm sure oxfam would be something similar.

it was such a laugh and i actually had more fun than going as a punter the year before. you meet so many people and the job really doesnt seem like you're working (apart from the sunday riot shift, nightmare! but u wouldnt get that at glasto)

i'm now great mates with 3 of the people i met there and see them all the time!

although that was leeds and theres not as much to do there, so i didnt feel like i was missing out on much when working as i chose my shift pattern around the bands i wanted to see.

but it's definately worth doing if you can't get a ticket! you also get the added luxury of nice clean toilets, cheaper food, showers and backstage shortcuts if you befriend the right security guards!

i think oxfam is 3 x 8 hour shifts.

i volunteered at leeds fest this year for hotbox events as a campsite assistant and we had to do 9am-5pm, 5pm-1am, 1am-9am. i'm sure oxfam would be something similar.

it was such a laugh and i actually had more fun than going as a punter the year before. you meet so many people and the job really doesnt seem like you're working (apart from the sunday riot shift, nightmare! but u wouldnt get that at glasto)

i'm now great mates with 3 of the people i met there and see them all the time!

although that was leeds and theres not as much to do there, so i didnt feel like i was missing out on much when working as i chose my shift pattern around the bands i wanted to see.

but it's definately worth doing if you can't get a ticket! you also get the added luxury of nice clean toilets, cheaper food, showers and backstage shortcuts if you befriend the right security guards!

I did litter picking in 2005 and this year.

I worked 4 x 6 hour shifts- 1-7pm in 2005 and 6am - noon this year- from Friday to Monday. The early shifts means you don't miss any music but means you're normally too knacked to visit the after hours/late night areas. With the hot weather though it also made an afternoon kip nigh on impossible due to roasting hot tent. PM shift meant a long lie but meant missed a fair few bands we wanted to see.

You get your own campsite up in Tom's field and 2 free meals a day and access to showers and as much tea/coffee you want

Already been mentioned but the litter picking is pretty good. Morning shifts are supposed to be six hours but you tend to work less than that - can still enjoy the afterhours stuff but the lack of sleep will eventually catch up with you so you can't really go quite as mad as you might if you just had a ticket, at least not without consequence. Food was rubbish last time I did it two years ago though and the workers campsite if you choose to use it is bloody miles away from everywhere else. Still, its something I reckon I'll one day do again so I'd recommend it.

I got a ticket last year by volunteering as a litter picker. You pay the ticket price and if you complete all your shifts they give you the money back plus you get free food and showers which is nice. If you don't complete your shifts they keep the money and you can never work as Glasto again.

To be honest I hated the litter picking and only did one shift before packing it in. I found it was completely ruining my time at Glasto, I couldn't enjoy the nights as I knew I had to be up early and I spent all day looking at the litter thinking I've got pick that up later. So I lost my money but it was the best thing I could have done as I had a great time after that.

• 1 year later...

Yep! One of the appeals for me was that I'd get to see everything coming together!

And yeah, I emailed the woman in charge of it all and she said you finish volunteering as soon as all the bins are painted! Sounds like food, showers etc are all provided by the on-site team too.

Nice!!

How did you get invovled with that ? Got friends who've done it previously or already knew the woman in charge?

Sounds cool..I'd like to do something like that ..missing none of the festival itself..but 2 weeks before too..don't think could get 3 weeks off work..plus I'd have almost no holiday left if I did:(

Edited by brain yolk!

Was speaking to a really nice guy at last year's festival who did it and he gave me the woman's email...think her name is Martha Kendall? Just pm if anyone would like to get in touch with her :)

Yeah, I suppose 3 weeks away is probably a bit much for most people... but being a student it's a complete no-brainer!