Hospitality Camping Area Fenced Off and Massive?

Guest Staberinde

I'm spending to much time pouring over mine and other people pictures of the site.

Here's the fine guide picture...

2010fineguidemap.jpg

It shows the main fence going straight south down from gate A as usual per past years.

Now look at this picture...

DSCF1313.JPG

You can see the main fence come further west from gate A before it turns straight south. It also shows a smaller fence penning in an area I can only assume to be the new hospitality camping area. It's bloody massive. Looks like the outdoor cinema will never be returning :(

What do you think?

This next picture is a bit blurry, but it shows how the fence continues further south to meet up with gate D regardless of what it shows on the fine guide. I am also guessing that the pedestrians also use the gate a bit further west than the guide shows you.

DSCF1305.JPG

Well I suppose they make a lot of money from the hospitality area, it helps keep ticket prices down. If I've interpreted the above correct, it's a heads up of where all the spare camping space will be come Thursday afternoon.

Or I could be completely wrong. No worries, I just love looking at pics of the site.

I still haven't quite figured this one out. I have two friends working on a stall in the hospitality area and they've no idea whether they'll be able to wander around the site when they're not working.

Now from all accounts, the area will be inside the superfence, so I figured they'd be alright. But their boss seems to have the idea it's an arena/campsite deal and says they're stuck in there all the time. Surely not... right? These pictures only confuse me more :s

Last year the hospitality area took up the old outdoor cinema field (Long Ground) and a little bit more stretching to Gate A thus causing a massive obstruction and detour for those entering that way. :angry: It now looks as if this area has basically doubled in size northward taking up the field above the forested area, below the new family camping area (Wicket Ground).Its a Massive area! :O

As Gate A has been pushed westward the detour situation should not exist this year and there is loads of marginalised camping there where car parks used to be...

The fence running parallel to the road going north to south to me looks as if it is there to act as a barrier between the Woodsies camp-site and the access road. That road is a busy road, as it is the main road toward the back of John Peel and then can lead on toward the Dance area, the Pyramid Stage and the Other. It may simply be a "protective barrier"

I think MikeB's fine guide map shows the new hospitality area quite well highlighted in Pink.

I know these hospitality tickets are deemed a requirement for the fest these days for many reasons, but to go from an outdoor Cinema field to a hospitallity field twice the size of the original cinema field in a few years pushing punters out to the edges of the larger site IMO stinks. I hate it. The idea of an increasing hospitality area growing year on year in the middle of the site does not sit well with me and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.........We are evermore seeing the emergence of a two tier Glasto......which I believe to be very wrong

Edited by ThomThomDrum

I missed teh cinema field last year, espeically as my route from gate to where I camp basically went straight across it. As long as we can still skirt along the fence to the 'nature reserve' then I'll be fine, but still a little annoyed at the huge 'hospitality area' blocking my old path.

I think the problem Glastonbury faces in this respect lies in the fact that there is no separate camping / arena setup. Most festivals have their hospitality area behind the main stage, but the layout of Glastonbury makes this impossible. I'm not defending it, just saying that this may be one of the reasons.

I appreciate it did eat up the Cinema field and it does seem to have grown (I will be camping next to them so I will lob things over the fence for you all if you like) Joking....

However we dont know how much this is subsidising the cost of the festival...

It could be that this is an evil that we have to put up withlive with (every festival has one, some more overt than others)

The thing is, this is just camping. :huh:

If whole swaths of land were turned over to elite bespoke corporate venues, burly bouncers blocking the way and première wrist bands required, then yes all get pissed off and say sell out and "them and us"

However they have to walk the same roads to get to the stages and mix in the same primeval soup that we create over the 5 days we all descend. The difference is someone has paid a fortune for them to have a short walk to a secure camp site or they have paid a fortune to have a short walk to the camp site...

In my eyes its a lesser of two evils, charge them more and save us all money on the ticket or charge us all more for a little bit more area that the majority will not give more than a glancing to as they stroll past.....

Also saying that your not allowed in the disabled camp-site either where I am, so bugger you all! peasants! :P:P

:)

This was such a ball-ache last year. I had to go up to the shuttle bus drop-off point twice to meet other people, as well as getting dropped off there myself. By the end of it I was about ready to push the fence down and to hell with the consequences!

I'm spending to much time pouring over mine and other people pictures of the site.

Here's the fine guide picture...

2010fineguidemap.jpg

It shows the main fence going straight south down from gate A as usual per past years.

Now look at this picture...

DSCF1313.JPG

You can see the main fence come further west from gate A before it turns straight south. It also shows a smaller fence penning in an area I can only assume to be the new hospitality camping area. It's bloody massive. Looks like the outdoor cinema will never be returning :(

What do you think?

I'm not sure where the nature reserve is, but every time I headed towards the drop-off point for the buses from Castle Cary, I had to walk up to a fence where in previous years (2007 and 2008) there was none, then walk a good way along it the wrong way, before then being able to head back in my chosen direction.

At one point I was so convinced I'd gone the wrong way that I had to ask the stewards, who confirmed I needed to take the detour.

Does that make sense?