Virus?

Guest NeilVJ

I give up, I really do.

If I hadn't of pointed it out to you earlier, you and your members would still be blissfully unaware of the problem. Instead of thanking me for bringing this to your attention, you decided to continually have a pop at me. Sorry if you felt embarrassed by me pointing it out, but it's better to bring these things into the open and fix them rather than sticking your head in the sand and pretending they'll go away on there own because they won't

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have stayed away from this because IT is my job and I love it.

However, I do feel like starting a poll here.

How many of the infected people are using AVG or any other free AV program and got infected?

How many people are using a fully loaded version of Norton or Symantec and got infected?

If I hadn't of pointed it out to you earlier, you and your members would still be blissfully unaware of the problem.

what you're missing here is that it's not a problem. What has created a "problem" for them is you pointing it out publicly, when there was no need to, as it's zilch to do with the virus problem this site has had.

You could have passed what you say you know on without causing that unnecessary concern. You chose to cause that unnecessary concern.

Instead of thanking me for bringing this to your attention, you decided to continually have a pop at me.

All you've so far brought to my attention is your claim of a problem and the unnecessary concern it's caused to users here.

Sorry that I don't feel that something to thank you for.

Has the server been thoroughly investigated for security vulnerabilities by non-anonymous professionals with a high rep today? Yep. The issue they found of concern has been addressed.

Meanwhile you go on about a problem, continue to cause unnecessary concern, and play wordball.

Sorry if you felt embarrassed by me pointing it out, but it's better to bring these things into the open and fix them rather than sticking your head in the sand and pretending they'll go away on there own because they won't

:P

I have no embarrassment over what you've said. I took you seriously enough for it to be looked into.

I am embarrassed for you being a dickhead about what you claim to know, causing unnecessary concern to people here, and then showing that your concern is not them but your own ego.

I gave a small demonstration of one of your server's vulnerabilities, this was more than enough to demonstrate that you have some serious holes in your server's security.

not according to the tools used for testing

Neil, if you want people to help you, be nice to them, it's really not that difficult.

If you want to help people, help people. Scaring people is really not that difficult.

Anyway, I've had enough, I'm going to leave this for a couple of days and will let you know if I can still detect issues when I return. If there's still a problem and you're no longer being rude to me, I'll tell you what needs to be done to rectify the situation.

Ego, ego ego. Ohhhhh, look at you. :P

It's clearly not the big worry you've made it out to be, or you don't have the concern for others you claim. Either way, your credibility is damaged.

I was far more concerned with addressing the problem so that no more people were infected than I was thinking about an apology. Care to tell me that was the wrong way to go about things?

Since that initial panic, I've realised that efestivals is no less of victim of this than anyone else. As the victim of a crime, what is there to apologise for?

If a bunch of drunken people on the way home at three in morning, kick over my bin in to my next doors neighbours front garden on bin day, it may not be my fault but it is still my bin and my mess. and I would say sorry.

You may not be to blame but it is still your "bin" and your "mess".

People see things in different ways and as I said earlier, its nice to be nice and a simple sorry would hav been nice.

Anyways, Its all done now.

Bloody Hell.....This all seems to be getting out of hand...I can't see what all the fuss is about,i had no real problem,my FREE AVG stopped it in its tracks,nothing wrong with AVG at all, i keep it up to date all the time.

Having read the Virus thread and all the talk of efests being closed down, thought I would come out and ask you all giving him a hard time to back off a little. The virus wasn't his fault and soon as he became awre of it he eliminated the problem.

Think of all the work him and the team put into this website and how useful it is to us all before saying some of the stupid things being written in the stated thread i.e 'good riddance'.

I was far more concerned with addressing the problem so that no more people were infected than I was thinking about an apology. Care to tell me that was the wrong way to go about things?

Since that initial panic, I've realised that efestivals is no less of victim of this than anyone else. As the victim of a crime, what is there to apologise for?

------------

Okay I understand that this is embarrassing and will upset a lot of users, but please resist the temptation to slope your shoulders and say "not my problem mate"

Real people, potentially hundreds of your users are sitting there with no computer, maybe paying big money for professional help in fixing their PC, they also have the chance of their bank accounts being emptied in the future.

Is your pride worth that much? Nobody cares that it's not your fault, the fact you think it's not your problem is what's causing so much aggravation. Lern 2 community management.

I'm not embarrassed at all. If I'd not spent so much of the day dealing with & the effects of self-important arseholes like Triton, who knows, perhaps it might have happened.

For each hundred of you saying "efestivals should have....", there's just one or less of such users who isn't an embarrassment of their own words over useful action.

the fact that YOUR website had the security vulnerabilities that allowed this to happen?

the fact that your PC had the security vulnerabilities that allowed this to happen?

The difference is, there was nothing I could have done in advance to stop the problem here. The same is not true all round.

Edited by eFestivals