Trains

Guest saltybugger

Ummmmm, I don't think there are "combined" tickets as such these days. I'm fairly sure that you just get your train or coach sorted in the usual kinda way and as early as possible to take advantage of any advance special fares there may be. I'm sure someone will say otherwise if I'm wrong but I don't think there are any special arrangements at all although you may well need to quote your Glasto Registration Number or something when buying tix if special trains/coaches are solely for Glasto ticket holders rather than just extra services for general use I suppose.

There are extra trains running but they're mainly from London Paddington I think and maybe also from other major cities I would guess as well. Although I always travel by train, there are no special services appropriate for me so I just get an ordinary ticket and go the scenic route to save a few quid. The info on The Official Site suggests checking and booking through RailEasy.com or phoning National Rail Enquiries. There's also TrainLine.com of course to have a look at as well. However, service details aren't usually available more than 3 months in advance tho so there's no info currently available.

There is a FREE shuttle bus service to the site from Castle Cary station but the coach from Bristol Temple Meads is around £12 each way I think. Need to take that into account when working out which is the best route from wherever you are. You just need to make sure that you don't get ripped off by having to buy full standard fare tickets and/or leaving it too late to book advanced and hopefully cheaper fares. Being a tad creative when planning your journey - such as by splitting it into several sections and then buying separate tickets for each bit rather than just 1 ticket from home to Glasto - can usually save you loadsa do$h, particularly so if you're travelling cross-country and more than one train company is involved.

Edited by mikeb

See these thread from 2009 & 2008 for money savings tips, they help me last year as I got advanced tickets for one way from PAD to CLC for £10.50.

/index.php?showtopic=114934&hl=Paddington&st=0">http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/index.p...ington&st=0

/index.p...train&st=20">http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/index.p...train&st=20

thetainline has a Ticket Alert services, as soon as advance tickets become available

http://www.thetrainline.com/ticketalert/

hope this helps.

Cheapest way to do it is to travel before the Wednesday.

In 08 I got to Brizzle from Paddington, advance fare on the Tuesday for a tenner for a single! Caught the G Town regular bus service and stayed over with the Efest crew in town. Ok so these days the most central/nearest public campsite to the festival doesnt accept Efestival people... :P but its an idea for you to consider (apart from staying in a campsite anywhere near the festival site!)

Also dont forget EasyRail or whatever it is called and good old Megabus/Train.

The 3 month restriction on train ticket buying ends very soon so be quick off the mark and you should be ok.

But seriously think/look at other ways of getting there...National Express do a very good deal with £5 coach travel. You can get to Bridgewater very cheaply from London Vic (on the Exeter/Cornwall service) and then get a local bus to Glastonbury.

Lots of ways around it.

Did you travel on a festival day (Wed onwards), or earlier?

Did you go back to Paddington afterwards?

the tickets were booked for wed, but in the end I could not go till thur, but the rest of them went on the wed.

From PAD to CLC at 8:18 (4 at £10.50 & the 3 at £15), they had revised seats as well.

On the way back we had to split the tickets as the Advance tickets were sold out & i think we got group saver 4 & 3

CLC to PEW £12.10 & PEW to PAD = £6

hope this helps & that you have a great time

Book through a train operators website, Virgin, Southern, Transpennine Express etc. All these sites use the same back end as The Trainline / RailEasy, but they charge booking fees and postage / collection fees.

Use a train companies website and you'll skip these fees :P