photographers & glasto

Guest Deepsky

Just wondering if there's any fellow photographers here and what you do with your gear if you take it to glasto?

I haven't been to glasto since 07 and my interest and skills in photography have come a LONG way since then and so has my gear... I used to have a Fuji finepix s5000 which wouldnt have been much of a loss if it had got broken or nicked but now i'm more involved in photography i would LOVE to take a dslr and a few lenses and filters but am seriously paranoid and thinking if it's worth the risk?

Been thinking maybe i should get a cheap old digital camera off ebay and take that and just make do...

Just wondering if there's any fellow photographers here and what you do with your gear if you take it to glasto?

I haven't been to glasto since 07 and my interest and skills in photography have come a LONG way since then and so has my gear... I used to have a Fuji finepix s5000 which wouldnt have been much of a loss if it had got broken or nicked but now i'm more involved in photography i would LOVE to take a dslr and a few lenses and filters but am seriously paranoid and thinking if it's worth the risk?

Been thinking maybe i should get a cheap old digital camera off ebay and take that and just make do...

Edited by thingsthatgoflirintheschla

I took my 450D, 3 filters and two lenses last year. I just made sure I had a sturdy and waterproof bag and camped close enough to a store to make it easy to drop in and out when I needed it. I asked them to store the caera nearer the top of the shelves so that it would reduce the amount of moisture it was exposed to. Everything worked fine!! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

We had an interesting chat back in 2008

/index.php?showtopic=99116&hl=">http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/index.p...c=99116&hl=

And I did take it, plus a few lenses.

Would I take it agian, yep even more so with my sweet L glass.

Just remember to use the LOCK ups.. and remember just because you are in your tent does not meen they wil not come in.. LOCK UP LOCK UP !!!!!!

HTH

Doug

welshtog.co.uk

i feel exactly the same but i must be honest, i wouldnt dare take mine as i know myself all too well and after a few choice beverages i would loosen up on security a great deal... i'll be taking my little canon ixus which takes exemplary photo's for a point and shoot and leaving my DSLR at home... but thats just me :blink:

^ this

I have a 40D that I wouldn’t dream of taking, I’d just be so paranoid of it getting dropped when I’ve had a few beers or someone dipping into my bag and me not noticing. Plus I’m not the biggest of people and find it quite bulky and heavy to carry around.

I’ve got a fantastic little battered Ixus 500 for everyday use but it’s just such a shame that it’s not really any good for anything other than close up as I found out trying to take shots of the main stage at T a few years back.

Could anyone recommend something like a decent bridging camera that I could take? Obviously I’m not going to be doing any macro stuff but something that has an adequate enough lens to enable to take some decent panoramic shots of the site.

Cheers

It's up to you of course.

I took my DSLR last Glastonbury with a couple of really heavy zooms. It was like walking around with a bowling ball on my back. :blink: But I wouldn't have been without it! When it got too much, or I was going to let rip, I used the 24 hour lockups.

A pocket camera in addition is a great idea as you never know when you will want to take a shot...

The lockups are very safe and secure, but that isn't the whole story. You can still break your kit and it can be lost or stolen when not in the lockups. So when you have it with you, you do have to take more care. Also make sure your household insurance covers it for use outside the home. Finally, as mentioned above make sure you have a very waterproof camera bag or backpack.

I will be taking my kit next year and am already dreaming of another lens or two...... :lol:

I wanted to put my own personal account of Glasto into a film last year but wasn't too keen on taking my camera (Sony HDR- XR200VE) incase it ended up either lost or stolen, or that I would get in that much of a state that I would be barely able to look after myself let alone my camera so ended up deciding against it.

It's definitely coming with me this year though!

Edited by Dan101

A couple of years ago I took my DSLR and walked round wearing combat trousers so I could put the main body in one leg pocket and the mah-husive lense in the other.

The idea was I wouldn't have to carry any camera bag and hopefully it wouldn't look like I had an expensive camera with me. In reality I looked like MC Hammer, they were so heavy it bugged me every step I took and I was paranoid that they would get damaged (and don't even ask about trips to the toilet).

From then on it's been small and compact all the way. I know I've sacrificed quality but I still get some great shots and it's stress free! :lol:

Didn't take my DSLR to Glastonbury as it was my 'festival off' this year, as usually I'm working at all the other festivals I go to.

In previous years my kit for working is a pair of Canons - one with a 70-200mm lens, and the other with a 14-23mm.

However I upgraded my ageing D20 this year and got a 17-85mm lens with the new camera, which after using over several events during the summer has quickly dislodged my wide angle as lens of choice. It's fairly lightweight and produces good results in even low light conditions, some of the results can be seen here: http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/blis...s2009-SRC.shtml

Am giving serious thought to just taking that lens and a D40 body along next year.

• 2 weeks later...