Campervan questions

Guest muffin

Hi all and congrats to those who got tickets... fingers crossed for those who didn't and need to grab the returns.

I've been to Glasto 10 times since my first in 1994 and camped in a tent every time. This year... for some reason i fancy (mayyyybe) trying a Campervan. The girlfriend is ok with camping but is of a higher maintenance than most i would say (as diplomatically as possible). So... i'd like to hear some pros and cons and advice if people have any.

I mean obviously having a shower and a bed in a plus... but does it outweigh the atmos of the camp sites, the fires.... i'm guessing no. Also it's quite a walk i've heard.

Any comments welcome...

Cheers!

Oh... i've even thought about taking a camper AND pitching a tent to get best of both. Is that a bit over the top?

We've always camped up in the Big Ground but this year for the first time I'll be taking a trailer tent so have had to consider some of the questions you've raised.

One of the issues is the long trek in from the Campervan fields and another is not being with some of our friends who are still going to be camping in our usual spot.

I think we'll probably also take a small tent which we'll pitch in Home Ground to give us a resting spot/social gathering place during the day.

Hi all and congrats to those who got tickets... fingers crossed for those who didn't and need to grab the returns.

I've been to Glasto 10 times since my first in 1994 and camped in a tent every time. This year... for some reason i fancy (mayyyybe) trying a Campervan. The girlfriend is ok with camping but is of a higher maintenance than most i would say (as diplomatically as possible). So... i'd like to hear some pros and cons and advice if people have any.

I mean obviously having a shower and a bed in a plus... but does it outweigh the atmos of the camp sites, the fires.... i'm guessing no. Also it's quite a walk i've heard.

Any comments welcome...

Cheers!

Oh... i've even thought about taking a camper AND pitching a tent to get best of both. Is that a bit over the top?

Edited by jameshunt

If you are going to rent a motorhome then as long as you fill the fresh water tank before you leave then it will normally last the first couple of days. We never had any problem filling up on the saturday morning but have heard of problems. I did notice that although some fields seem to have a very poor water pressure the neighbouring field was fine. We loved being able to shower in the morning, cook a quick bacon butty, then take some ice cold ciders with us!

If you are going to rent a motorhome then as long as you fill the fresh water tank before you leave then it will normally last the first couple of days. We never had any problem filling up on the saturday morning but have heard of problems. I did notice that although some fields seem to have a very poor water pressure the neighbouring field was fine. We loved being able to shower in the morning, cook a quick bacon butty, then take some ice cold ciders with us!

I've booked a campervan spot (East side) for next year. I'm probably not going to be able to arrive til the middle of Thursday evening or even possibly Friday morning.

Has anyone had experience of arriving this late before in a van? I camped in 2008 and arrived Fri morning and the roads were EMPTY but it was obviously stressful trying to find a camping spot.

I presume that I will have no hassles getting a spot if I arrive late in a van though (if I've paid for a space surely there'll be one left?!). Just wondered if there are still lots of queues on the Thursday night and if it might be just easier to rock up on the Fri morning instead?

I know it's months off yet, but I'm getting excited and already planning in my head!!

I've booked a campervan spot (East side) for next year. I'm probably not going to be able to arrive til the middle of Thursday evening or even possibly Friday morning.

Has anyone had experience of arriving this late before in a van? I camped in 2008 and arrived Fri morning and the roads were EMPTY but it was obviously stressful trying to find a camping spot.

I presume that I will have no hassles getting a spot if I arrive late in a van though (if I've paid for a space surely there'll be one left?!). Just wondered if there are still lots of queues on the Thursday night and if it might be just easier to rock up on the Fri morning instead?

I know it's months off yet, but I'm getting excited and already planning in my head!!

I've never got there that late in a camper van before but i'd have thought there would be space somewhere. Saying that it will almost certainly be about as far away from the entrance you can get in the campervan field unfortunately which will add 15 minutes or so to your walk.

What size campervan are you taking and are you planning on using an awning or having someone else camp near you? I shouldnt think it will be too much hassle with a vw or average transit size campervan without an awning but if you have a full on motorhome with 3 storey extension you may have a bit more trouble :lol: