more stuff about leaving tents behind

Guest daveinafield

i ve been doing some voluntary work for manchester international festival this past month and one of the lads i have been working with works with the c/neuf (rigging/sound) told me that he had left his tent behind this year and had written charity all over it in marker. I had to remind him that we are not meant to do that. I know a lot a of it is the new nouveau festie riche but its the old guard to if someone working for the ecologically minded c/neuf can still be under that impression

it's a shame to think about all the tents / gazebos and other camping equipment that get left and just go into a landfill!

i know it has been discussed many times, but surely it would be possible for the tents/gazebos to be collected rather than just be disposed of ;)

Edited by markeee

it's a shame to think about all the tents / gazebos and other camping equipment that get left and just go into a landfill!

i know it has been discussed many times, but surely it would be possible for the tents/gazebos to be collected rather than just be disposed of :)

i know it has been discussed many times, but surely it would be possible for the tents/gazebos to be collected rather than just be disposed of ;)

I think on the Tuesday after, people should be able to come along, donate a quid to Greenpeace or whatever, and walk around to pick up a tent or a gazebo or whatever they like to take away.

Sort of like a giant car boot sale, only without the cars. People love a bargain, I'm sure you'd get tons of people coming to have a rummage and take perfectly good (and sometimes expensive) camping gear.

Complete Wasters

THIS company, only small at the mo but who knows one day we'll be seeing their like popping up at the big festivals...seriously recycles all the festy crap that gets left behind.

I met em at the (in its 2nd year) Folk at the Oak at Hatfield House last Saturday. Ok...so it was one of those bring a picnic, middle England affairs and only about 2000 people at the event but the team did a fecking sterling job of getting the message home to all the punters!

Quite why, hopefully in the future, the same message cant be run home with the Glasto campers I dont know. Scale is just a crap excuse...a bloody hard but good attempt by GFL to actually do something about the rubbish issues, I am sure is doable...one day we can but hope.

And as for those fecking camping chairs that get left behind in various states of brokenness...the Complete Wasters have come up with at least one recycling use...they have worked the material bit from the chair into aprons!!! For all sizes and ages! f**king brilliant idea!!! I shall be doing this to the on its way out chair I have at home! :(

Complete Wasters

THIS company, only small at the mo but who knows one day we'll be seeing their like popping up at the big festivals...seriously recycles all the festy crap that gets left behind.

I met em at the (in its 2nd year) Folk at the Oak at Hatfield House last Saturday. Ok...so it was one of those bring a picnic, middle England affairs and only about 2000 people at the event but the team did a fecking sterling job of getting the message home to all the punters!

Quite why, hopefully in the future, the same message cant be run home with the Glasto campers I dont know. Scale is just a crap excuse...a bloody hard but good attempt by GFL to actually do something about the rubbish issues, I am sure is doable...one day we can but hope.

And as for those fecking camping chairs that get left behind in various states of brokenness...the Complete Wasters have come up with at least one recycling use...they have worked the material bit from the chair into aprons!!! For all sizes and ages! f**king brilliant idea!!! I shall be doing this to the on its way out chair I have at home! :(

A friend picked up a left behind tent at Glasto but when he put it up later he discovered why it had been left - two broken poles.

Isn't the problem that the amount of effort that may have to go into repairing tents can outweigh the possibilities of them being passed on.

Best answer is take your tents home, repair them yourselves and use them again next year.

A friend picked up a left behind tent at Glasto but when he put it up later he discovered why it had been left - two broken poles.

Isn't the problem that the amount of effort that may have to go into repairing tents can outweigh the possibilities of them being passed on.

Best answer is take your tents home, repair them yourselves and use them again next year.