shocking

Guest crass

Ps I really think the pre-pay pitched tent thing is a great idea along with for hire festival Sherpas to carry gear, you could charge more, pay staff more, justify what's left behind which would be less or owned by the festival and give much more to charity. Yes it does create a two tier system but that's simpler than what we put up with the other 360 days of the year and if it makes more money for charity (and next years line up) it's fine by me.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm serious, i think both of those ideas are great, no reason why you couldn't have volounteers by the gates, 5/7/10 quid to carry your stuff to your field and the same on the monday, but stationed at the campsite helpers tent. I think they'd make loads of money. Superb idea, really.

but like you say, enough of the love-in, it's friday night, 10 pints and fight, i reckon :rolleyes:

It takes alot of people to leave that much shit lying around. I keep reading about it being a minority. How can it be a minority when there is that much shit left behind. This looks to be if not the majority at least a large percentage.

So whats the answer ? The most severe is cancel the whole thing, but that would spoil it for the few that are clean,tidy and respectful and that is key hear RESPECT. The scenes on the clip are a reflection on soceity as a whole not just Glasto The lack of respect for other peoples homes,property etc is something that goes on allover the world. Goods are made so cheaply they are disposable so what do people do dispose of em in the easiest way possible. They leave them behind. There is no answer to this none at all. We can talk and debate till the cows come home, but because of the cost and durability of the shit thats left behind things will never change ever.

In my humble opinion all goods should be made of the best materials availible using the best technology availible. This way they would cost more, last a hell of a lot longer and not be disposed of so easily. People would then take more care of their possesions and there would be alot less waste. The food and packaging waste is a difficult one. The problem here lies with the manufactures of packaging. Whatever happened to paper bags. Its only around 35 years since plastic packaging came to be the cheapest method. There would be alot of paper bags around yes but they are biodegradeable and can easily be recycled to make the same again. The technology and materials are availible to do all this, but because of the consumer driven soceity we live in it will never happen. They want to us to throw the cheap shit away so we buy again next year. They do not care who throws what where. There will always be waste form a soceity like ours but it can be made a hell of alot easier to manage if products were made correctly using the best materials availible and technology to make them.

The waste problem isn't new, every festival I've been too, 98,99, 00, 02 has had the same issue. But there's no getting through to some people-just look at your average street: cigarette ends, fast food wrappers. The Glasto crowd isn't a majority of hippy/save-the-whale types any more, if it ever was.

We've got anti-litter legislation, maybe if it was enforced better, might be a start. But if we can't solve outwith the festival, I think we'll have little impact within the site.

It takes alot of people to leave that much shit lying around. I keep reading about it being a minority. How can it be a minority when there is that much shit left behind. This looks to be if not the majority at least a large percentage.

So whats the answer ? The most severe is cancel the whole thing, but that would spoil it for the few that are clean,tidy and respectful and that is key hear RESPECT. The scenes on the clip are a reflection on soceity as a whole not just Glasto The lack of respect for other peoples homes,property etc is something that goes on allover the world. Goods are made so cheaply they are disposable so what do people do dispose of em in the easiest way possible. They leave them behind. There is no answer to this none at all. We can talk and debate till the cows come home, but because of the cost and durability of the shit thats left behind things will never change ever.

In my humble opinion all goods should be made of the best materials availible using the best technology availible. This way they would cost more, last a hell of a lot longer and not be disposed of so easily. People would then take more care of their possesions and there would be alot less waste. The food and packaging waste is a difficult one. The problem here lies with the manufactures of packaging. Whatever happened to paper bags. Its only around 35 years since plastic packaging came to be the cheapest method. There would be alot of paper bags around yes but they are biodegradeable and can easily be recycled to make the same again. The technology and materials are availible to do all this, but because of the consumer driven soceity we live in it will never happen. They want to us to throw the cheap shit away so we buy again next year. They do not care who throws what where. There will always be waste form a soceity like ours but it can be made a hell of alot easier to manage if products were made correctly using the best materials availible and technology to make them.

Sadly this video is not new to me. I always leave late on Monday, making sure I get one of the last buses off the site, and this is a familier scene every year. Hell, it's not even as bad as some other years.

I have the lazy & ignorant to thank for my collection of folding chairs in the cuboard under the stairs.

:rolleyes: It is sad............It is us the human's that show no respect to our world. We DID pick all our stuff up and took it home or binned it BUT it does look like a majority of festival goers HAVENT a clue what RESPECT is. See the festival as a dumping ground for the crap they no longer want or can't be bothered to repack!! They get it in to the festival so why not take you're stuff back with you? So much easier to go out and purchase another crappy tent ey.

I just want to add my disgust at this. I'm usually away first thing Monday morning so I didn't realise it was anywhere near as bad as this. Although I did notice the group of youngsters who were camped near to me and whom regulalry boasted about how much MDMA they had in their tent all weekend left all three of their tents behind (presumably not their drugs as well).

I'm with those who feel Glastonbury goers should be above this sort of selfishness. The messages pumped out to us all weekend are about caring for the planet and those that live on the planet, messages that are never seen at the big corporately sponsored events who, of course, encourage this throw-away over indulgent society.

Just one point though, didn't ME say a few years ago that any tents left behind would be donated to Oxfam. Maybe some people thinks that's still the case. (I know that doesn't excuse the rubbish!)

The most disgusting video I have ever seen about Glastonbury, I knew stuff was left behind but not on that scale, truly shocking.

You cannot blame the retailers for selling stuff cheap, it is still the festival goers responsibilty to take home all that they bring and dispose of properly.

It looks like some folks left EVERTHING behind WTF is that all about???

The most disgusting video I have ever seen about Glastonbury, I knew stuff was left behind but not on that scale, truly shocking.

You cannot blame the retailers for selling stuff cheap, it is still the festival goers responsibilty to take home all that they bring and dispose of properly.

It looks like some folks left EVERTHING behind WTF is that all about???

In 07 it was said that tents would be collected for charity. This was partially incorrect as they were collecting them from the info / campsite stewards stations expecting them to be packed up etc.

We in our ignorance left our tent etc behind to be "collected". We did think it was going to be collected and we did leave it tidied of general rubbish, oh and we didn't shit in it...

Upon arrival home and back to lurking on the forums only to discover that the tent collection had not taken place and most of what was left went to landfill. If we had been aware of this we would have taken our stuff home with us and reused it. I bring a van to glasto so even a wet tent just gets slung in to be dried and packed at home. Since 2008 we have been blatantly made aware that tents are not collected and will never be collected and given to charity, the logistics are not economical unless people are working for free.

08 and 09 we have left no trace,we took a caravan instead, had a tent in pennards this year as well as the caravan which did get slept in supprisingly frequently, and made a good stash place for items we didn't want to carry around with us, bit cheeky stashing ur drugs in the lockup :rolleyes:

I do remember that the cleanup in 07 took a lot longer and they had a collection of items churned up from many different previous festivals in contrast on a fairly dry year it's already done so ME fairly happy.

Some just live in their own shit from wednesday then leave it on monday with no consideration or respect.

In 07 it was said that tents would be collected for charity. This was partially incorrect as they were collecting them from the info / campsite stewards stations expecting them to be packed up etc.

We in our ignorance left our tent etc behind to be "collected". We did think it was going to be collected and we did leave it tidied of general rubbish, oh and we didn't shit in it...

Upon arrival home and back to lurking on the forums only to discover that the tent collection had not taken place and most of what was left went to landfill. If we had been aware of this we would have taken our stuff home with us and reused it. I bring a van to glasto so even a wet tent just gets slung in to be dried and packed at home. Since 2008 we have been blatantly made aware that tents are not collected and will never be collected and given to charity, the logistics are not economical unless people are working for free.

08 and 09 we have left no trace,we took a caravan instead, had a tent in pennards this year as well as the caravan which did get slept in supprisingly frequently, and made a good stash place for items we didn't want to carry around with us, bit cheeky stashing ur drugs in the lockup :rolleyes:

I do remember that the cleanup in 07 took a lot longer and they had a collection of items churned up from many different previous festivals in contrast on a fairly dry year it's already done so ME fairly happy.

Some just live in their own shit from wednesday then leave it on monday with no consideration or respect.

Wow! If you look on the Glasto website at the massive clear up and Pics of how it looks now you would never have thought it was the same place. This after only two weeks after the event. What a great job. For myself and my two pals, we never left a bit of rubbish, packed everything up as we brought it and through away the two rubbish bags that we had accumilated over the weekend, but we class ourselves as humans! Those people who left this mess are just to discusting for words. I remember seeing people walking along with just rucksacks an wheelbarrows with unpacked sleeping bags , and thinking , where is there tent etc, now i know, animals.

Great praise to the volenteers and oranisers for a great event.

P.S, surely though this must have been the same at past festivals, ammount of people involved, staying for the errkrnd etc, although that does not make it right.

I found the video so sad... and to think our group left with a sense of pride having combed our entire area for every tiny scrap of rubbish. Pissing against the tidal wave of selfishness that seems manifest nowadays. Though you don't expect those sorts of people on eFestivals.. and yet:

I left a 9 man tent , 4 sleeping bags , 4 airbeds , 4 broken chairs & 10 pills and 20 beers for the person who had to clean it up , it aint all bad for the volunteers really :lol: . I will certainly do the same next year again.

the one thing i do wonder, if normal punters manage to scower the site after the festival finishes to pack up tents etc, why cant the campsite stewards do the same?

it seems easy enough to me

get some more campsite stewards for after the festival, the ticket will be their wage as normal..they can take down some of the tents? it doesn't seem that hard tbh

I'm not saying it's ok to leave everything in a mess, but surely they could actually have people taking them down if they wanted to

But why should they? More campsite stewards means more money, which will come out of our pockets in higher ticket costs. Why should we all have to pay more to make up for those who too lazy to pick up after themselves? It needs to be every individual taking responsibility for his/her own crap, that's how it SHOULD be. I agree about the throwaway culture, people paying a few quid for a crap tent they won't bother taking home, must be nice to be able to afford to do that :rolleyes:

I much prefer to get a decent tent which will last me a while, will be guaranteed waterproof and I know what to expect than a crap cheapo tent that could leak on me, the poles could snap, it could end up flying off into the air with a strong gust of wind or whatever. Yeah it cost me a bit more, but I'm a savvy shopper and have got some brilliant bargains with a bit of forward planning. The tent I had at Glasto this year was bought at the end of the season and stored away until the following year, it cost me less than £20 because Tesco were selling everything off mega cheap, but it was a good quality one, it's just that Tesco don't keep stock for next year, I'm more than happy to take advantage of that!

If I'd had the means I would have certainly gone tatting when people had left the site but I was on public transport so could only take home my own stuff, which was already at the limit of what I could physically carry. I'm definately planning on doing it at some point at a festival, then selling the stuff at car boot sales, at least then it's going to get re-used and it'll be a few quid in my pocket :lol:

Having received anecdotal information from an American friend who attended Bonnaroo (a similar festival in Louisiana, with 80,000 ticket holders), that Bonnaroo generated nowhere near the mess that was left behind at Glastonbury, it might be worth while finding out what they do differently.

Bonnaroo reportedly has a similar green message and donate a large percentage of their profits to charities. Ticket holders can get a discount on their ticket if they agree to stay behind an extra day and help with the clear-up, and there is some corporate sponsorship to help with the clearing up.

Having received anecdotal information from an American friend who attended Bonnaroo (a similar festival in Louisiana, with 80,000 ticket holders), that Bonnaroo generated nowhere near the mess that was left behind at Glastonbury, it might be worth while finding out what they do differently.

Bonnaroo reportedly has a similar green message and donate a large percentage of their profits to charities. Ticket holders can get a discount on their ticket if they agree to stay behind an extra day and help with the clear-up, and there is some corporate sponsorship to help with the clearing up.