Beachdown Festival 2009

Guest Tasha141

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I understand the anger of ticket holders who feel let down ansd who are out of pocket, I think some of the comments here are very extreme, and via the facts, appear to be completely untrue.

I am not of the opinion that the organisers have operated any scam from which they're likely to have walked off with huge amounts (or even small amounts) of anyone's cash.

As far as I've been able to assertain, it was a completely genuine attempt to put on a festival, and they have definitely spent many tens of thousand of pounds in trying to run it - if you care to check out the various documents related to the event that are on relevant council's website, you can see that quite a while ago they'll have had to have paid the council and the police their money fully in advance, and these payments are well in excess of £100k.

They will have also paid out at least some of the money to the various contractors involved, that had started to build the site ready for the festival.

I believe that only around 2,500 tickets had been sold, so it's very likely that any cash that had come into their hands from these sales (and it certainly won't have been all of it) will have been spent on legitimate things needed for the running of the festival.

Feel free to express your anger, but if you think they've walked away very rich from their failed attempt to run this festival I believe you're very much mistaken. Please try to keep a proper perspective.

Edited by eFestivals

While I understand the anger of ticket holders who feel let down ansd who are out of pocket, I think some of the comments here are very extreme, and via the facts, appear to be completely untrue.

I am not of the opinion that the organisers have operated any scam from which they're likely to have walked off with huge amounts (or even small amounts) of anyone's cash.

As far as I've been able to assertain, it was a completely genuine attempt to put on a festival, and they have definitely spent many tens of thousand of pounds in trying to run it - if you care to check out the various documents related to the event that are on relevant council's website, you can see that quite a while ago they'll have had to have paid the council and the police their money fully in advance, and these payments are well in excess of £100k.

They will have also paid out at least some of the money to the various contractors involved, that had started to build the site ready for the festival.

I believe that only around 2,500 tickets had been sold, so it's very likely that any cash that had come into their hands from these sales (and it certainly won't have been all of it) will have been spent on legitimate things needed for the running of the festival.

Feel free to express your anger, but if you think they've walked away very rich from their failed attempt to run this festival I believe you're very much mistaken. Please try to keep a proper perspective.

Disappointed though I am, the folk who put lots of time and money into this have my sympathy.

Favourite 'Beachdown Cancelled On A Slow News Day' story of the day though:

http://www.midsussextimes.co.uk/worthing-n...down.5588626.jp

WORTHING GIRL'S UPSET AS BEACHDOWN FESTIVAL IS CANCELLED

Published Date:

26 August 2009

By Alex Jenkins

A WORTHING teenager has been left disappointed after the Beachdown Festival was cancelled, hours after she bought a ticket.

Edited by stillill

A friend of mine who was meant to be trading at this w/e's festival, who actually knows the organisers, has said that not only are they not answering their phones but that their offices have been completely cleaned out, lock stock and barrel.

Now why would that be the case?

While it's probably naughty under company law and the like, I'd guess that it's simply the case that they're trying to salvage all the can from what they've put their efforts into.

It's probably the case that most of us would do similar if our own company went bankrupt for whatever reason.

Quick question -

My friends and i bought our "Early Bird" tickets direct from Beachdown's Trinity St. ticket agency - a company that itself seemingly went bust and disappeared off the map a few months ago.

Would it be fair to assume that we're well and truly royally stiffed in this particular situation, and have no chance of seeing any refund?? To be specific, my friends bought their tickets with cash in a shop in Brighton, and i mine on my bank's debit card.

Whilst Beachdown 2008 had its fun moments, i think there was sufficient disorganisation there LAST year that this year's collapse is no surprise to me whatsoever.. What is a surprise is that they waited until about 2 days before the event to make this announcement when they clearly knew it was on the cards for longer than that.

Those 2,500 people who spent their money in good faith have had their plans for the last bank holiday of the summer ruined, and seemingly little chance of recouping their money, not to mention the poor people who "upgraded" from their Bloom tickets.

Edited by bingobongo

Quick question -

My friends and i bought our "Early Bird" tickets direct from Beachdown's Trinity St. ticket agency - a company that itself seemingly went bust and disappeared off the map a few months ago.

Would it be fair to assume that we're well and truly royally stiffed in this particular situation, and have no chance of seeing any refund?? To be specific, my friends bought their tickets with cash in a shop in Brighton, and i mine on my bank's debit card.

Sad to say you're probably stuffed, tho somewhere I read today (in one of the Argus pieces I think) that debit cards might also be covered for refunds in the same way as credit cards - so I guess it's worth contacting your card issuer to find out.

Whilst Beachdown 2008 had its fun moments, i think there was sufficient disorganisation there LAST year that this year's collapse is no surprise to me whatsoever.. What is a surprise is that they waited until about 2 days before the event to make this announcement when they clearly knew it was on the cards for longer than that.

I think it was simply the case that while the organisers knew it was precarious financially, they did all they could to make it hang together, and only when it became certain that they couldn't they did what they had to and cancelled.

Is it fair to condemn them for trying their hardest to make it work (outside of their own inexperience/disorganisation/problems they brought on themselves this year by how they dealt with last year's financial disaster)? Probably not - that would just have people having a pop at them for them not trying all they could to try to make it work.

(I'm not any supporter of theirs, in fact very much the opposite given how they stitched up a mate of mine with last year's festival, who is still owed thousands by them. But I do try to look at each part fairly).

still doesn't explain why one of the origanisers took money to the sum of 300 pounds off of some of my friends at 4pm on wednesday at the beachdown offices (the day after they realised that the event was a no-go)...now that's dodgy..

Also, the Beachdown site has been further updated. Good money after bad?

29th August 2009

BEACHDOWN ticket holder offer for Out Of The Ordinary Festival (OOTO) 2009

The Out Of The Ordinary Festival is a 3 day green & family friendly festival near Hailsham in East Sussex celebrating the changing seasons. It takes place on Friday 18th September until Sunday 20th September, 2009, at Knockhatch Adventure Park, East Sussex. They have solar powered stages, wind powering generators, fascinating talks and workshops plus children’s activities, a green market place plus many more out of the ordinary surprises!

Out of the Ordinary festival, (OOTO) offers help to all Beachdown ticket holders!

As a show of support to all of the Beachdown ticketholders OOTO can offer a limited amount of half price OOTO tickets for a small admin fee to help them cover their costs. Tickets MUST be bought in advance via PAYPAL to access this offer.

There are NO DISCOUNT tickets available on the gate!

· OOTO HALF PRICE TICKETS ARE LIMITED!

· TICKETS MUST BE BOUGHT IN ADVANCE VIA PAYPAL

· LIMITED AMOUNT AVAILABLE

· YOU MUST BRING YOUR UNIQUE BEACHDOWN TICKET FOR INSPECTION AT THE GATE OR PAY THE DIFFERENCE.

· PRICE SUBJECT TO CHANGE!

BEACHDOWN ticket holders can BUY an OOTO ticket with 50% discount

IN ADVANCE ONLY for just:

£35 for adults 3 day camping pass

£10 Children 3 day pass 7-16 YO

UNDER 7 FREE

+ campervan and car parking prices & P&P

FOR MORE INFO PLEASE CALL OOTO ON 01273 688 788 or visit www.outoftheordinaryfestival.com

SUPPORT GREEN EVENTS

OOTO FESTIVAL “It’s all about the vibe”

Edited by stillill

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...