Spiringsteen

Guest Iain333

is that it? you don't like the fact that some people think he's the best live act in the world???

For me, I don't like the fact that some people won't accept that others don't think him the best act in the world. As happened here to me in fact, for daring to state that he's simply not.

Get over it. The Bruce-huggers opinions don't invalidate all other opinions.

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and...?

he's been plagued by such claims since the very beginning... what do you want him to do, start telling everyone he's not as good as people think he is? :O

much as these forums have been plagued - by the likes of you - telling everyone that he's the best live act in the world. :P

the punters who were left uninspired probably don't like that kind of music...

spot on - in my case, it's cos I don't like bland music. :D

And having talked to a large number of randoms who saw him, they felt much the same.

one thing that occurred to me was that, the enthusiam that was shown before he came on, everyone singing Livin' On A Prayer, maybe Bon Jovi would have suited the crowd more...

Maybe Jovi would have. But I'd guess that the crowd were simply enjoying something with some life ... something that the short amount of Bruce's set I saw was empty of.

I think this is very true. In fact I think I made the very same point earlier in the thread.

But let's face it, when was the last time Q Magazine got anything right? And it's as if Michael Eavis doesn't have a history of bigging up his headliners. If someone goes expecting to see the reincarnation of Christ and they just get a decent show then they are going to be disappointed.

I imagine the people who went thinking "this should be a decent, if slightly long and cliched rock set" probably came away pretty happy.

Those expecting Hendrix, Lennon, Mercury and Bowie rolled into one to come and play Born In The USA probably came away thinking it was rubbish. Which is fair enough. But maybe they should take the pre-Glastonbury hype with a slightly larger pinch of salt in the future.

But it wasn't the likes of Q which were hyping him up - at least not to me. It was people posting on these very forums.

It was their nutty endless raving about him that had me decide that I really should go and see him after all, and give him the chance to prove himself as not the bland middle of the road drivel that he is on record. I even went and bought an album too - his latest (seemed like a good idea) - to try and get myself familiar with some of what he might play so that I'd have the chance to enjoy it more by knowing it.

But none of that works if the act is the same bland middle of the road drivel when playing live as he is on record. And so all I simply said was that it was .... and then all hell breaks out from the Bruce nutters. :O

So just enlighten me, what's the difference between their pro-Bruce evangelicism and your anti-Bruce evangelicism? There's no difference between someone saying that he is the best live act in the world and someone saying that he is nothing but "bland middle of the road drivel"

They're both just opinions and they're both pretty tedious ones if they are repeated every third post. But maybe it's worth you looking back over the last 6 or so pages and see which of the two claims is being shouten the loudest, the most often and by the same people/person.

There's no difference .... if it's just that.

But it hasn't been just that here tho has it? I've been told I'm lying; I've been told my opinion is worthless because I'm not drooling over Bruce, etc, etc, etc.

Have I done the same in reverse? Nope. I've simply stood my ground on my opinion. If I choose to stand behind my opinion and refuse to allow those people to shout me down, that's my reasonable choice - unlike their attempts to shout me down. :O

There's no difference .... if it's just that.

But it hasn't been just that here tho has it? I've been told I'm lying; I've been told my opinion is worthless because I'm not drooling over Bruce, etc, etc, etc.

Have I done the same in reverse? Nope.

I thought the pro bruce talk was fairly reserved. No one here recommended you see Bruce even if you hate him on record. We said if you like him on record, then definitely see him, and if you have never listened to him, then give him a chance BEFORE the fest.

We said he was the best live act in the world. Just because you dont like him Neil, doesnt make that not true.

I actually love Talking Heads too.

In many ways, Mr. ElectronicFestivals is very much like Bruce Springsteen. A lone voice on the road of the information superhighway, singing out against the injustices of big, bland corporate America, taking potshots from smaller men along the way.

I salute you eFests. You and your eStreetFestivals Band. Now go build a house of hope!

(And quit your persecution complex on the way.)

And although I wouldn't dream of accusing you of lying, I'm sure you'd be the first to admit that your 99-people-that-you-asked-out-of-100 survey is looking like extremely unreliable data when compared to an anonymous poll in an open forum?

I adored his set. Went to watch half of it then wander off for a bimble and was screaming for more at the end. It was amazing. Born to Run was brilliant. I had many a festival moment with my compadres during it. Kept falling over chairs while I was dancing though - you're standing now, its pitch black, fold them up! :lol:

First off: 'Blinded...' was 1973. Some afficianardo you are. Seems like I know more than some of his fans. ;):)

(PS: 2009 - 1973 = 36 years. Wow, who'd have thought the Springsteen fans would have been over-stating things by saying 40 years? :):))

Is your opinion any more valid than mine just cos you're such a mega-fan that you'd be cheering a set of him farting for three hours if that's what he did on stage? Nope, 'fraid it's not.

As for you quoting "deep and meaningful" lyrics at me, have these back at you...

Next time you're feeling blue just let a smile begin Happy things will come to you

IS NOT A BLAND way of telling someone how to deal with depression.

The Smurfs

:D

How could one not be converted after his performance of the river???As good as live music gets.I agree that he could have played Born in the USA, atlantic city or hungry heart but whatever the case it was a quite brilliant gig.

The River was incredible, no question.

However;

Prove It All Night

My Lucky Day

Outlaw Pete

Out in the Street

Working on a Dream

Seeds

Johnny 99

The Ghost of Tom Joad

No Surrender

Waitin' on a Sunny Day

The Promised Land

Radio Nowhere

Lonesome Day

American Land

= either bland or tedious or both.

- - - - - -

Bruce is WAY better than he showed on Saturday night. I can't believe the choice he made to stick to the tour format so rigidly for a festival crowd. Silly boy.

The River was incredible, no question.

However;

Prove It All Night

My Lucky Day

Outlaw Pete

Out in the Street

Working on a Dream

Seeds

Johnny 99

The Ghost of Tom Joad

No Surrender

Waitin' on a Sunny Day

The Promised Land

Radio Nowhere

Lonesome Day

American Land

= either bland or tedious or both.

- - - - - -

Bruce is WAY better than he showed on Saturday night. I can't believe the choice he made to stick to the tour format so rigidly for a festival crowd. Silly boy.

I also don't really understand what the fascination of Springsteen fans is to have people converted to their idol. I thought he was brilliant and thats all that should matter.Dont care if anyone else loved it or hated it but as mentioned above i'd be surprised if anyone who saw the river wasnt impressed.