Most Talented musicians this year at R/L

Guest HarryReddick

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Singer - chino moreno (deftones)

Lead guitar - Johnny Greenwood

Rythym guitar - Dev Hynes (Lightspeed champion)

Bass - Billy Gould (FNM)

Drums - Dave Witte (Municipal Waste)

Mike Patton lol, he isn't the great singer he thinks he is, esspecialy these days. Above average but he thinks he's some opera star! Radiohead are easily the most talented musicians at the festival from what I am aware of. Matt Helders from Arctic Monkeys might just be the best drummer, Alex Turner best Lyracist,

No he isn't, he just is compared to other singers in bands because it's unusual to see someone with his vocal skill in his kind of music. Look in the opera world to start with and you could find a million Mike Patton's. And I still don't even think hes at the top of list in rock.

Thats not the way to look at it tho. Any opera singer is going to be a technically a better singer then any rock singer, tho most opera singers couldn't be rock singers. Mike Pattons talent is not just the quality of his voice but the way he applies it and uses it. The Same with Thom Yorke, great voice but its not the technically quality of his voice, its the way he sings, the way he uses it.

Thats not the way to look at it tho. Any opera singer is going to be a technically a better singer then any rock singer, tho most opera singers couldn't be rock singers. Mike Pattons talent is not just the quality of his voice but the way he applies it and uses it. The Same with Thom Yorke, great voice but its not the technically quality of his voice, its the way he sings, the way he uses it.

But opera singers dont try and be Rock singers, at Download I got the impression of Mike trying to be an opera singer and him failing. I agree he can do versatility, but is he the master of any particular style? Jack of all trades and all that...And his 'Manic laugh' was just annoying. Sorry I just think he's overated.
Edited by hearing_aid

he wasn't trying to be an opera singer, just faith no more cover a lot of different genres, so one second it'll be death growls, and then onto the smooth numbers such as evidence. Not trying to impersonate anyone, they're just a bit of a schizophrenic band (don't jump on me pc police, the word decribes them best, not taking the piss out of the illness). I still maintain that he's got more death metal in his voice than every other "heavy" band on the lineup (bar maybe deftones as i'm not really familiar with them). The mad cackle is part of suprise your dead, the only criticism you could give the guy is that he doesn't sing the real thing songs with the same helium like vocals anymore.

Mike Patton, greatest singer in music.

One minute it's scattergun death metal screeching, the next it's house jazz, then it's rap, then it's crazy cackling laughter into a megaphone (Land of Sunshine at Download, WOW), then it's helium vocals, then it's beautiful operatic melody (he actually sang for the Italian opera recently so he kind of IS an opera singer), the list goes on...

Hopefully thomasowen will go watch someone like Kings of Watered-Down Rock.

We'll all be shouting Patton's songs back at him!

I hope they play Falling to Pieces at Reading. (And Ricochet, and Zombie Eaters, and A Small Victory)

Mike Patton, greatest singer in music.

One minute it's scattergun death metal screeching, the next it's house jazz, then it's rap, then it's crazy cackling laughter into a megaphone (Land of Sunshine at Download, WOW), then it's helium vocals, then it's beautiful operatic melody (he actually sang for the Italian opera recently so he kind of IS an opera singer), the list goes on...

Hopefully thomasowen will go watch someone like Kings of Watered-Down Rock.

We'll all be shouting Patton's songs back at him!

I hope they play Falling to Pieces at Reading. (And Ricochet, and Zombie Eaters, and A Small Victory)

Singers ... I'd have to say Thom Yorke, Chino Moreno, Mike Patton and Mark Lanegan.

Don't get me wrong, there are alot of excellent singers at reading, but these guys are just... inimitable, there are probably thousands of impersonators which have all come from those four singers but none of them will ever be as good as the original - The actual "Technical ability" is not really important, i mean you could just say someone like Mariah Carey is a better singer than those guys because of her range and variety - But could Mariah Carey sing any of their songs? f**k no haha, the bimbo would never possess the passion and the power to pull it off - And that's where those guys stand out for me.

Chino sounds so sonic, his voice kinda waves over you, Mike Patton is just a f**king monster, some of the noises he can make are just... :P Thom Yorke has such a strange subtle yet haunting voice; it's almost like an instrument in itself, and Mark Lanegan's voice hits you like it suddenly got freezing cold and very lonely.

It's quite hard to tell instrument wise, too many factors and too many variables, i mean unless eddie van halen is playing then it's quite difficult to tell just how good someone actually is from a live set... And even then are you judging technical ability? passion? songwriting?

Edited by JakusMaximus