Noise at EotR

Guest defamatory pyramid

Not a thread to campaign for ambient noise groups at end of the road (though that would be cool).

I'm just wondering what people's experience/opinion is on late-night noise. Last year I found that, because it's a small festival and the arena is therefore very close to the campsite, it was difficult to sleep until everything had quietened down at 3am. I'm a 22-pushing-60 killjoy, and I always wake up at 7am if i'm sleeping in a tent anyway, so I ended up being exhausted for the whole weekend.

Anybody camp up the far end of the campsite and find it quieter? That was going to be my tactic for this year.

We were camped pretty close to the main arena and therefore heard the Bimble Inn partying until the early hours of the morning. We were so knackered by the end of the day though that we were able to sleep pretty easily, despite the noise. Can't really complain. At least it's not random stereos going off right next to your head from the tent next door.

Logically, by camping at the far end you'll at least remove one factor ie the noise from the arena!! I usually go for the cider approach, but actually have been fairly lucky so far. The Godspeed which was played by our neighbours on the Sat night last year was really rather good, and they were a nice bunch (we spoke to them on the Sun) and would probably have turned it off or down if we'd asked <_<

• 2 weeks later...

In 2007 we were camped near to the main entrance. Last year we were camped near to the Bimble Inn. Neither time did any of us have any problems sleeping. I think being up early due to the stuffiness of being in a tent combined with a steady intake of wine and cider ensured we were knackered by about midnight! A bit of late night and/or early morning noise is inevitable at a festival, but in this regard (and all others!) EOTR is the best of all of the festivals I've ever been to.

I pop my headphones in and listen to something I know back to front.

But 2 years living in halls means that's the only way of sleeping I know...

Always wake up early camping (which was useful as I had morning stewarding shifts) but last year's EOTR saw my soundest nights sleep in tents.