Could someone recommend me a Nick Cave album to help me to decide if I should go and see him.

Guest jonnylah

his two newest ones "abattoir blues/the Lyre of Orpheus" and "Dig lazarius dig" are two cracking albums in my opinion, dont no all of his older stuff as well but has many a cracking tune otherwise such as "red right hand", "stagger lee" and my personal favourite song of his "into my arms", but ye his two newest albums are crackers but for his older stuff probs best asking someone else although im sure its just as good

For me, The Boatmans Call.

Found this setlist from a gig in Tasmania of January this year...

- Night of the Lotus Eaters

- Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!

- Tupelo

- The Weeping Song

- From Her to Eternity

- Hold on to Yourself

- Straight to You

- Love Letter

- Red Right Hand

- Midnight Man

- We Call Upon the Author

- The Mercy Seat

- Deanna

- Moonland

- More News From Nowhere

- Hard On for Love

- Papa Won't Leave You Henry

- The Lyre of Orpheus

- Stagger Lee

Edited by Mr Ploppy

For me, The Boatmans Call.

Found this setlist from a gig in Tasmania of January this year...

- Night of the Lotus Eaters

- Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!

- Tupelo

- The Weeping Song

- From Her to Eternity

- Hold on to Yourself

- Straight to You

- Love Letter

- Red Right Hand

- Midnight Man

- We Call Upon the Author

- The Mercy Seat

- Deanna

- Moonland

- More News From Nowhere

- Hard On for Love

- Papa Won't Leave You Henry

- The Lyre of Orpheus

- Stagger Lee

Take a listen to Dig Lazarus Dig, If you don't like that don't bother going to see them. I don't like most of the earlier stuff but saw tham last Nov and have to say they were brilliant. Small venue mind you!

looking at the setlist dont see "into my arms", was wondering does he normally leave this out or was this more of a one off, as it my favourite track of his by a mile and would be pretty gutted if he didn't play it, although im sure the set will be immense anyway this song would just cap it all off <_<

...The Good Son is my own personal favourite, closely followed by Let Love In (though all of the albums mentioned here are great...he's just an amazingly consistent songwriter and performer). I've seen him on his own with just a piano and he's mesmerising, haunting, powerfully melancholic...simply breathtaking. And I've seen him with the Bad Seeds and he's a high kicking, gyrating, snarling beast.

Here's probably the best known songs of each of the albums above and my own favourite from his latest...

From the good son: (unfortunately the end is missing, but it's a fantastic version, and blixa's vocal part is really clear)

I would add that The Boatman's Call is excellent, very melancholy though. It was inspired by his break-up with PJ Harvey.

As mentioned before here, I would start with Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus and then Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! followed by The Boatman's Call.

Abattoir Blues has one of my favourite NC tracks - Let The Bells Ring - which apparently is about Johnny Cash, one of his heroes.

Hope that helps!

I love Nick Cave - Red Right Hand is just an ace song.

I made an error in judgement when i decided to listen to Murder Ballads while walking. alone. at twilight. in a forest. which i got lost in.

Edited by coolethan