Has anyone witnessed this or know if its true ?

Guest ramragon

was flicking through the may camping magazine and on page 9 there is a letter which reads -

"following incidents of booby trapping of abandoned tents at shows like download and glastonbury, virtually all festivals have now banned gas canisters in any shape or form.

it seems some festival goers found it amusing to leave tents with gas canisters open and a device on the zip to create a spark, leaving the poor steward burned as they attempted to clear the field.

as a result there is little point taking your own cooking facilities to this years music festivals as they will not be welcomed."

i've taken a small gas canister for the last few years to make my morning coffee and heat the occasional tin of beans etc up, i cant say i've ever heard of booby trapped tents in the past and didnt know that gas canisters were on the banned list !

is this true or just a croc of shat ?

im sure come june the usual campingaz mini stove will be packed in my bag as usual, mornings without a few cups of coffee after a night on the beer seem to grim a prospect !

was flicking through the may camping magazine and on page 9 there is a letter which reads -

"following incidents of booby trapping of abandoned tents at shows like download and glastonbury, virtually all festivals have now banned gas canisters in any shape or form.

it seems some festival goers found it amusing to leave tents with gas canisters open and a device on the zip to create a spark, leaving the poor steward burned as they attempted to clear the field.

as a result there is little point taking your own cooking facilities to this years music festivals as they will not be welcomed."

i've taken a small gas canister for the last few years to make my morning coffee and heat the occasional tin of beans etc up, i cant say i've ever heard of booby trapped tents in the past and didnt know that gas canisters were on the banned list !

is this true or just a croc of shat ?

im sure come june the usual campingaz mini stove will be packed in my bag as usual, mornings without a few cups of coffee after a night on the beer seem to grim a prospect !

Edited by staggerlee

i was quite shocked to read it, cos im sure if it had happened it would have been all over the papers last june, apart from 1 fight i saw little trouble last year and certainly nothing to make you think that there would be exploding tents on the go !

They've banned gas canisters at Reading and Leeds this year, but thats cus some twats like to use them to blow up toilets and tents on the sunday night. I can't see anyone misusing them at Glastonbury, but you never know. Check out the website it should say on there if they've been banned.

it also states that people were also throwing gas cannisters in to their fires, i could well imagine some drunk numpty lobbing a gas cannister into the fire for a "laugh", however wether or not they had the know how to create a 3 man al qaeda style pop up tent is beyond me

An extract from the Fine Guide

Camping stalls will provide and change camping gas for you. Always change camping gas outside tents – even if it is raining - and ensure gas tap is in the ‘off’ position, otherwise the gas will ignite when the cylinder is pierced and you could get badly burned.

I took delivery of a small camping stove yesterday. Just need to pick up a canister. So unless the advice is updated, still plan to take it.

It's monday morning. You've spent 5 evenings in a tent at a festival. You feel about as sharp as a spoon.

Of course you are going to rig up a home made incendery device. it makes perfect sense.

Zips are plastic, what is this device which you can attach to a zip to make a spark. I'm not saying it couldn't be done but for f**k sake.

Edit: didn't see Ricochet post, same thing...

Edited by jamiejc