Gluten-Free Glasto

Guest Wooderson

The missus is a recently diagnosed coeliac, and she's dead worried about the options available for gluten-free grub on site... Although this will be our 5th Glastonbury, we've no experience of sticking to such a strict dietary regime and would love to hear fellow coeliac's experiences or recommendations on safe and tasty nosh. I'm sure that we've had delicious falafel's in the Green Field that was GF, but are there any other winners that people rely on to get them through the festie in one piece?

NB. If she gets "glutened" its basically festival over. <_<

My ex claimed to be Wheat intollerant. She had trouble because stall holders didn't appear to have a frickin clue whether what they were serving was wheat free, let alone Gluten free.

That said - there are plenty of veggie stalls that sell fresh food that you can be sure about. It definately will not be a problem if she is careful.

As for my ex i always doubted the varacity of her claim because she was a neurotic mentalist. I put it down to an eating disorder. We split shortly afterwards lol.

1. I'd advise her to contact the Coeliac Society (www.coeliac.co.uk) and ask them - some of the larger stalls may be registered with them, and they'll almost certainly be able to provide her with a definitive list of what she can and can't eat, ingredients wise. I get a guide annually from the Anaphylaxis Campaign about approved restaurants, fast food, ready meals etc and I'm sure that the Coeliac Society do a similar thing.

2. If you eat in the greenfields where the food is freshly cooked and prepared by the staff there, you should be OK. Buddhafields is fabulous - they were amazingly kind and helpful about my nut allergy last year. Manic Organic know their stuff, too. Don't forget there is a fruit stall on site, and there are loads of places that sell foods that should be safe, e.g. you could have chicken and corn on the cob from the Jerk Chicken stall.

3. Why not pop along to the Medical Centre when you arrive? They might have some advice, and if she is unfortunate enough to encounter some gluten, they'll be aware of the problem and will be able to help.

4. Take a camping stove, if all else fails!!

Anyway,

If you go to the independent type stalls, you know the one, hand painted signs, organic produce and the such then they're usually very good at knowing exactly what's in the grub, steer clear of those burger vans and she should be fine.

I managed to go the whole of the festival last year without my guts falling out, which was nice.

She sounds like a peach mate. haha. In fairness though i wouldnt wish a wheat allergy on my worst enemy. Flour is in EVERYTHING.

<_<

That said, we're gonna pack the car with GF grub in coolboxes just in case. Make one or two trips over the weekend to stock up.

1. I'd advise her to contact the Coeliac Society (www.coeliac.co.uk) and ask them - some of the larger stalls may be registered with them, and they'll almost certainly be able to provide her with a definitive list of what she can and can't eat, ingredients wise. I get a guide annually from the Anaphylaxis Campaign about approved restaurants, fast food, ready meals etc and I'm sure that the Coeliac Society do a similar thing.

Glad to be of help! Hope you both have a wicked time!

I've (fingers crossed) been lucky with the nut allergy. I always carry an epi-pen with me, and give a spare one to my partner so he can help me if something goes wrong, but most stallholders in the greenfields know their stuff!!

*I'm now gagging for a pint of Brothers and some Jerk Chicken...*

hey there!!

i have a younger cousin who has coeliacs and she usually gets the basics on prescription...i.e pizza bases, bread, flour, pasta.

Asda, tesco and probably most other big supermarkets do some other things, like rolls, biscuits, pot noodle/rice type things, cereal bars and other bits and bobs. may be handy to take some of them just incase. i would def avoid the sauces as most places put flour in them to thicken them up an make them go further (have experienced the projectile vomiting which follows this....so not good!!). anything cooked infront of you cant be bad as you can see wots going in them.

i would def check out the coeliacs website though, or try emailing them for some extra advice. being ill when your at home is bad enough never mind in the middle of a field and in a tent!!! <_<

My drs thought I was so I had to go gluten free all over christmas - the bastards! Then they decided it's actually a dairy allergy! Like you say sauces can be one of the main problems. I've only been to glasto twice but from memory there are a fair few stalls she can buy from. She could eat jacket potatoes with cheese and beans. Nachos (if no flour in the salsa which there shouldn't be) Rice from the chinese stalls is ok and I'm sure they'd stir fry something without sauce for her. If all else fails chips or wedges - remember not to have the vinegar if it's malt vinegar. There's always the yeo valley frozen yoghurt stalls (the idea of which now makes me feel ill!) which is a meal in itself! There are lots of stalls selling fruit too. Always have a big bag of doritos and bananas in your bag too for those snacky moments when you'd normally go and get a doughnut or something! I managed quite well for the month so if she needs anymore advice about day to day let me know.

Good news for you and your wife, Wooderson - La Grande Bouffe (in JazzWorld field) is really nice (if a bit pricey) and their stuff is mostly gluten-free (not 100% sure about the sausages but potato dishes are fine). Baked potatoes are a life-saver; rice and peas also, for when you want some bulky carbs. I echo the point about smaller places (especially in Green Fields) being more clued up about what they are using.

Beware chips and wedges if they are cooked in same fat that things coated in batter/breadcrumbs are also cooked in, as cross-contamination with gluten from batter/crumbs can make some Coeliacs quite ill (depends on how badly you react to small doses of gluten and whether you are prepared to risk cross-contamination even if you don't react strongly, as wheat and gluten is basically poison to us Coeliacs). But a small amount of malt vinegar is generally accepted as being within levels tolerated by most Coeliacs.

Beware Chinese food that can be cross-contaminated with soy sauce (which contains wheat). Also, remember that Coeliacs can't eat oats either - not sure what's in the Yeo Valley frozen yoghurt, but beware if it contains muesli, etc.

I take gluten-free cereal and small cartons of long-life milk for breakfast, plus gluten-free crispy bars, Snack-a-Jacks, dried fruit and nuts, Coeliac-ok crisps/tortilla chips, for snacks (remember to pack them all in a plastic box, as g-f stuff is really fragile and crumbles easily).

PM me if you want to follow this up further - I work on JazzWorld and may have some additional information by the time June comes round.

Good news for you and your wife, Wooderson - La Grande Bouffe (in JazzWorld field) is really nice (if a bit pricey) and their stuff is mostly gluten-free (not 100% sure about the sausages but potato dishes are fine). Baked potatoes are a life-saver; rice and peas also, for when you want some bulky carbs. I echo the point about smaller places (especially in Green Fields) being more clued up about what they are using.

Beware chips and wedges if they are cooked in same fat that things coated in batter/breadcrumbs are also cooked in, as cross-contamination with gluten from batter/crumbs can make some Coeliacs quite ill (depends on how badly you react to small doses of gluten and whether you are prepared to risk cross-contamination even if you don't react strongly, as wheat and gluten is basically poison to us Coeliacs). But a small amount of malt vinegar is generally accepted as being within levels tolerated by most Coeliacs.

Beware Chinese food that can be cross-contaminated with soy sauce (which contains wheat). Also, remember that Coeliacs can't eat oats either - not sure what's in the Yeo Valley frozen yoghurt, but beware if it contains muesli, etc.

I take gluten-free cereal and small cartons of long-life milk for breakfast, plus gluten-free crispy bars, Snack-a-Jacks, dried fruit and nuts, Coeliac-ok crisps/tortilla chips, for snacks (remember to pack them all in a plastic box, as g-f stuff is really fragile and crumbles easily).

PM me if you want to follow this up further - I work on JazzWorld and may have some additional information by the time June comes round.

• 1 year later...

I did last year Gluten free and it was quite easy, echoing advice above do stick to the Green Fields (tends to be where the best food is anyway) they know what they have put in their food and are most helpful when asked. The only thing I found was snacking but that can be overcome by taking your own i.e packets of nuts, crisps if your so inclined - I also love Eat Natural bars which are gluten free and available at most newsagents/boots etc.

I did last year Gluten free and it was quite easy, echoing advice above do stick to the Green Fields (tends to be where the best food is anyway) they know what they have put in their food and are most helpful when asked. The only thing I found was snacking but that can be overcome by taking your own i.e packets of nuts, crisps if your so inclined - I also love Eat Natural bars which are gluten free and available at most newsagents/boots etc.

Hi again Wooderson. Following on from your comment in another thread that your wife only ate baked potatoes at Glastonbury last year, here are a few suggestions for her to try next time:

Was Manic Organic no good for her? I have a vague recollection of their chickpea curry being OK, but haven't been up there for a couple of years.

And since our last GF correspondence the other year, I checked with La Grande Bouffe and they reassured me that their sausages are GF too, as well as the potato dishes - I ate there last year when our backstage caterers couldn't find me anything GF one day and I was fine.

Leon's is also quite good for GF stuff - all veggie, lots of salads, usually found near JazzWorld stage.

sorry I only really know about what's in easy striking distance of JazzWorld, but that's the stage I work on!

I would love GF chips to be available at Glastonbury - let's start a campaign now!

So - Gluten Free Chips @ Glasto, hmm?

From my missus via text just there:

"Chips and dips opposite the vegan van, near the Ireland tree by the Pyramid. I think it was beside Mr. Toasty, round the corner. They let me check the ingredients but the head lady knew it was GF. Told me how careful they are to keep the oil separate etc..."

Her directions aside (!) thats it confirmed for you.

:P:P