Traffic from Bristol / Bath. Thursday

Thelips

Hi. What route is likely to be quickest / least traffic. Will it be from Bristol or Bath ? Bath is closer in terms of mileage but not sure if this may take longer with it being a smaller road.

We'll be leaving Bristol or Bath at approx 1pm on the Thursday if this makes a difference.

Cheers for any help

For donkey years from London I used to opt for the M4 and then down via Bath rather than the more popular route via the A303 due to it being a more pleasant drive as time was never a factor - now with many arriving Tuesday evening this has split it up even further so which ever way you pick you should not notice much traffic.

If you are going from Bristol. Take the A37 to Wells. Once you hit Wells, take the A371 to Shepton Mallet. On the A371 about a mile outside wells there is a turn for North Wootton on the right hand side. It will tell you that theres no access to the festival. Ignore that sign and just turn right anyway. Follow the road to the end, turn left and you sail straight in.

Mind you, there isn't much queueing these days around the site. The police have pretty much got it sewn up getting everyone in with little or no disruption ( unless you come in via Glastonbury and Street ).

The shepton side is clear as a whistle the entire week. Its only coming out that its chaotic

Edited by shepton fuchsias

Traffic on the Thursday is minimal really and you should have no delays regardless of which route you go in on. The only thing that might influence the route you go in is which car parks they direct you too

It always amazes me how little traffic there is around the site on the Thursday Friday and Saturday of the festival - people avoid the area thinking it will be jammed but its actually dead quiet. Sunday night onwards is a bit different though!

Traffic on the Thursday is minimal really and you should have no delays regardless of which route you go in on. The only thing that might influence the route you go in is which car parks they direct you too

It always amazes me how little traffic there is around the site on the Thursday Friday and Saturday of the festival - people avoid the area thinking it will be jammed but its actually dead quiet. Sunday night onwards is a bit different though!

Living in the area, you wouldn't beleive how little traffic there actually is from Tuesday onwards. The cannards grave roundabout used to be a notorious hotspot for queueing but now you just sail right in. You wouldn't even know that there are a quarter of a million people only a mile away. :-)

Edited by shepton fuchsias

Another question regarding coach/bus/taxi - is there any difference at arrival regarding queuing? I'd read in a couple of old posts that coach arrivals didn't have much of a queue while those arriving by car (and I assume taxi) had a hefty wait ahead of them? Any truth in this?