Heal/Hurt Lineup Thread 2012

Guest AcademicPistol

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to disagree with you on that one AP. I think everyone everywhere that wanted to see Metallica play already have, as they've been absolutely everywhere over the past 8 years. Not many people will have had the chance to have seen Soundgarden the first time round, so for me, they are the better booking.

It's hard to say. Metallica are one of those bands that tour a lot and have stayed together. Soundgarden haven't been around for the past 15 years or so and we're getting them at the first time of asking so I wouldn't really say either is a better booking than the other really.

Having said that getting Soundgarden to sub is incredible. They are a definitely a headline-tier band.

Seeing Metallica at Leeds the same weekend as Rage made me realise how comparatively pedestrian some bands are by comparison.

Metallica had better sound, better visuals, better stage presence and every time they play, they play a totally unique set. There was an air of going through the motions and predicability with Rages set and even bands like slipknot. Even the banter is the same gig to gig, year in year out. (Kneel down maggots etc etc)

So while metallica aren't that much of an exclusive act or rarity, i think they're more dynamic than some of their contemporaries. :)

Don't get me wrong though. i fully appreciate the importance of SG and Sabbaths presence on the bill. :)

The thing is, while Metallica are fantastic every time, seeing Metallica is a routine thing. It's great to see them, great to see the different set, great to enjoy the different twists, different banter, different feel, but it's still Metallica and Metallica songs. The rarity of Sabbath and Soundgarden makes them the better bookings.

Also, while Sabbath could be hit and miss live (I'm hoping hit), Soundgarden should be incredible. Matt Cameron's drumming is fantastic, and Chris Cornell is one of the best frontmen I've ever seen. His set subbing Aerosmith at Hard Rock Calling was phenomenal, and when it's Soundgarden, I'm expecting even better. Without Soundgarden I might not be going to DL, but if Soundgarden were playing as a headliner and one of Sabbath or Metallica weren't? I'd have bought my ticket anyway. Sabbath aren't closing the fest for me, they're just providing the after-SG entertainment.

Sabbath are obviously legendary but Ozzy's voice (bless his cottons) has been almost incomprehensible since the 70's and Chris Cornell has arguably one of the best voices ever, Sabbath haven't sounded excellent for years but everyones loves them because they are legends.