Safety for women at festivals

rossybec

Hello ladies,

I am currently working on a design strategy for safety for women at festivals and would love any thoughts for research purposes. This is for research only and all answers provided will not be shared any further.

According to research thousands of women per year are harassed at festivals. This has to stop.

Is there anything you think could be done to improve safety?

Do you feel safe at festivals as a woman?

What changes would you like to see made ?

I appreciate any feedback

• 3 weeks later...

The festivals should provide;

Appropriate security. This should be at high level also within camping areas.

Appropriate lighting.

Free panic alarms should be given to those that ask fort them.

Blokes seeing such action should taker action.

Completely segregate toilet areas. 

Men, women, they's etc should all look after each other to begin with. The festival should have this ethos to begin with. 

Can't think of any more things right now.

Good luck with your research. 

I'd say a big thing is that festivals should do more than pay lip-service to what actions will be taken against people who behave badly.  For example, Boomtown has an instant reporting text number, which goes straight to event control, and from there security can be immediately sent to the reporter to get more details, and ideally identify the person to be sent to evictions.  

Stewards / stage crews / security should be well briefed on festival policy and what action should be taken so that they respond appropriately to people reporting incidents, and know the escalation routes.

People (and I'm afraid it's men in this context) should stop being pricks, and there needs to be a better culture of men calling each other out for poor behaviour - the latter especially could be communicated clearly to festival customers, and understood as  important.