Working at Glastonbury

0nlyOne

Hello guys, I wanted to know if me and my friends are able to work at Glastonbury? We all live in Germany and we tried to get tickets for 2023 but due to technical difficulties at the website we had no chance in gettin tickets that's why I'm asking if we are able to work in UK and if we have to apply for a working VISA?

Here is Oxfams take on it:

Oxfam is required by law to ensure that all of our staff have the legal right to work in the country that they are employed in.

Right to work in the UK:

Our ability to gain a UK work permit for potential employees from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) depends upon several factors. This includes the type of visa a candidate may currently possess if they are already resident in the UK and the skill level of the job advertised. In certain circumstances Oxfam may help to support a candidate in their first steps to obtain a work permit if we can demonstrate that we could not recruit for a position from within the EEA.

The Home Office requires potential candidates to meet specific criteria, including qualifications, English language ability, earnings, and maintenance.  These will be accessed via a points-based system. To see if you have the potential to meet the criteria, please visit the UK Border Agency website. 

If a candidate is able to meet the level of points required by the Home Office and is the successful candidate for the role, Oxfam will be able to issue a Certificate of Sponsorship. A Certificate of Sponsorship from Oxfam is a unique reference number that can help individuals secure the right to work for Oxfam GB in the UK. Issuing this number is the first stage of the application process to enter and work in the UK and will support the Work Permit Application, although does not guarantee the Home Office will issue one.

Similar rules apply in many countries other than the UK.

17 minutes ago, 0nlyOne said:

Hello guys, I wanted to know if me and my friends are able to work at Glastonbury? We all live in Germany and we tried to get tickets for 2023 but due to technical difficulties at the website we had no chance in gettin tickets that's why I'm asking if we are able to work in UK and if we have to apply for a working VISA?

This is from Oxfam's Festival Q & A's so you will be fine, I have also added the link so you can access the site as their is loads of advice on there. Not sure where @Skip997 got his information but it isn't applicable to volunteering. You can register your interest here - https://www.oxfamapps.org.uk/festivals/register-interest/  I am an Oxfam volunteer so shout out if you have any questions. 🙂

https://festivals.oxfam.org.uk/info/frequently-asked-questions/questions-about-stewarding/#624b1c18-2fba-4e5a-9419-de0f4644f66a-i-am-not-from-the-uk-can-i-volunteer

I am not from the UK. Can I volunteer?

If you are from the Common Travel Area (UK, Republic of Ireland, Isle of Man), are an EU/EEA citizen holding Settled or Pre-Settled Status, have European Temporary Right to Remain, or have a Working Holiday Visa, you have the right to volunteer in the UK. If you hold a different visa or immigration status, you need to check if you have the right to volunteer before applying.

UK immigration rules allow visitors from the EU to undertake volunteering provided it lasts no longer than 30 days in total. We are unable to support volunteer visas.

6 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

This is from Oxfam's Festival Q & A's so you will be fine, I have also added the link so you can access the site as their is loads of advice on there. Not sure where @Skip997 got his information but it isn't applicable to volunteering. You can register your interest here - https://www.oxfamapps.org.uk/festivals/register-interest/  I am an Oxfam volunteer so shout out if you have any questions. 🙂

https://festivals.oxfam.org.uk/info/frequently-asked-questions/questions-about-stewarding/#624b1c18-2fba-4e5a-9419-de0f4644f66a-i-am-not-from-the-uk-can-i-volunteer

I am not from the UK. Can I volunteer?

If you are from the Common Travel Area (UK, Republic of Ireland, Isle of Man), are an EU/EEA citizen holding Settled or Pre-Settled Status, have European Temporary Right to Remain, or have a Working Holiday Visa, you have the right to volunteer in the UK. If you hold a different visa or immigration status, you need to check if you have the right to volunteer before applying.

UK immigration rules allow visitors from the EU to undertake volunteering provided it lasts no longer than 30 days in total. We are unable to support volunteer visas.

Thank you, really appreciate it

33 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Here is Oxfams take on it:

I think that's for their "regular" ie non festival volunteers though, and as posted above the Festivals use a slightly different criteria as staffing is a bit more transient.

It's worth mentioning that registered Charities (like Oxfam) have different rules than other organisations - so while Oxfam can accept volunteers from overseas (assuming they're on a visa waiver or a standard visitor visa and not something more unusual), most of the organisations that recruit for Glastonbury won't take applications from non-UK people. It's something that needs to be checked on a case by case basis - but as a general rule of thumb if it's not a registered charity then assume the answer is "no".

• Upvote 1

On 11/14/2022 at 6:16 PM, 0nlyOne said:

Worth noting that quite a few organisations who recruit workers/volunteers for GF require them to undertake training prior to the festival and/or have done work with the organisation at other festivals. 

12 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Worth noting that quite a few organisations who recruit workers/volunteers for GF require them to undertake training prior to the festival and/or have done work with the organisation at other festivals. 

Usually done via zoom these days, at least that's my experience. The Green Traffic/Green Stewards has to be done every 5 years.