What's it like

Guest Narnia

I have never been to V before and just wondered what sort of age range it attracts and what it is like in terms of vibe and things to do? I'm a Glastonbury girl at heart as I love everything about it, but unable to go this year and looking for others. Is it possible to compare it to Glastonbury? If it seems like it would be a good one I might just book it before it sells out and risk going alone if friends cannot be convinced... Is there a efestivals meet up/camp in Chelmsford? :)

Not been to Glastonbury unfortunately, but V is nothing but a big gig in a field. The people aren't as bad as you'd imagine in the arena, but in the campsite at night some can be pretty horrendous behavior wise. (Thousands of drunk/ pilled up etc 17-18 year olds mainly) I wouldn't recommend going alone unless you are extremely confident..

Nothing like Glastonbury. Have you ever been to one of them 1 day festival things like Hard Rock Calling? Very similar although there are a couple more stages. The people were fine, i didnt see any trouble at all when i went. Expensive as you cant take your own alcohol like Glasto and the food range is nothing compared to it. Late night... again nothing like it.

Not trying to put you off of it as when i went i had a really good day but you have to like the bands on offer to have a good time unlike Glasto where there are other things to do/explore. Personally i wouldnt go there on my own, as again like Glasto there arent any meets that i know about and wouldnt just approach randoms at that fest.

Daniel K will be along soon to tell you how amazing V is to even my post out.

Edited by sisco

I think with V having still not sold out, speaks for itself...this year will be my 7th V and I'm only 22 years old, people go more for a fashion statement in recent years. It is a good festival mind, and I haven't experienced any of these problems people have spoken about all over the forum.

It's typical that I would feel ok going to Glastonbury on my own (maybe because it's not an unknown if that makes any sense) yet there is always someone there that I know and I have 16 friends in different 'groups' there atm. Yet, afaik, I don't know anyone that has ever been to V and I am doubtful anyone would go as festival friends tend to like Glastonbury, Beautiful Days, Brisfest and tend to plan in advance of what they are going to do. I'm interested in the lineup tho, maybe I will look at a dayticket. Thanks for the thoughts on this. :)

Just seen day tickets are quite expensive but really want to see the Manics. Maybe should think of going to the Staffs one as really want it to be a good atmosphere as possible. Have ended up holding hands and arms over shoulders with load of strangers at the front of the stage at Glastonbury a couple of times :wub: Would be nice if it might be a chance of that friendlyness if i'm on my own :)

• 2 weeks later...

I went to V after My first Glastonbury and I HATED it. Like others say it is a big gig in a park but you will get nothing like the same vibe as you do at Glastonbury. I actually ended up in tears on the Saturday night as I found it so hostile and people seemed so angry, I had abuse shouted at me so no reason and I had a huge argument with my Vfest loving boyfriend!

So yes if you really want to see particular bands get a day ticket and stay in a b n b or something, from my experience you don't get the same friendliness. If you aren't bothered by bands and acts so much then look out for smaller festivals where you will get a very relaxed mood.

I am not shocked about the atmosphere you describe after some peoples comments, mostly regarding the unavoidable dousing with other peoples urine at the front of the stage (and elsewhere). I am not sure where these people crawl out from and why they migrate there but atm 1 day ticket at V is definately just sitting in my options purely for particular bands I want to see. I will goto a couple of smaller festivals anyway. My first (and so far, the only planned) festival of the year is this Thurs. TFFT :D It's 2000trees, not been before but it looks good! :)