Dexys Midnight Runners

Guest ads1980

Come On Eileen is a fucking fantastic song, I used to think 7"s were for children and women and retards before I picked up Come On Eileen for a gas in a record shop, then listening to it I had something of an epiphany and a whole new world of appreciation for singles and pop music in general opened up to me. Before this awakening I was an insufferable little shit, one of your "proper music" types, today I can appreciate pop music and how wonderful it is, without Come On Eileen I would possibly never have got into Elvis, The Ronettes, The Beach Boys and so many others.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't think why anybody should consider swooping in with a single sentence condemnation - with no reasoning, justification or call - unless they were simply trying to raise their post count.

It's like - I want to contribute but I only know one song. And I don't like that song. That's it!

Very strange behaviour.

I didn't say there was anything "wrong" with your post - but of course I disagree - I just think it's bizarre that people do such things online.

It is sad that so many people only know the chorus because it has Isome of my favourite lyrics:

'These people round here,

with their eyes sunken into sweat dried faces so resigned to what their fate is

but not us

(no never)

not us

we are far too young and clever.'

When I first heard that, I was young & clever, but not as clever as I tbought as it turns out.

Some brilliant moments on the new album where the songs transform into dramatic performances - and apparently, when performed live, they're performed live! Like the mini-musicals they are.

To judge them by Come On Eileen alone (and to insist that that's all "a decent proportion of the Glastonbury crowd" would know as if this song doesn't exist) would be a grave error.

Literally grave, in that you'd be denying yourself so, so, so much joy.

I mean, look at this:

I can't wait.

Liverpool Sound City this weekend. I wanted to go for the whole thing but couldn't get the time off work. So whilst I might be missing Onheotrix Point Never & The Walkmen, I'm seeing Amsterdam, Dexys and a late night searing psyche blues double bill with Wet Nuns and Bo Ningen.

It's the start of a summer of incredible music and I can't wait. Really can't wait.

In the words of Syd The Sexist, "I want to go THE NOO."

Just to add - I would also love them to play. They played locally recently and it was a bit more that I was prepared to pay, but I do really want to see them, I am just a real skinflint!

Just listening to the new Dexy's album......Hmmm not sure. It is a bit am dram which I find a bit uncomfortable.

There's a couple of stand out tracks and given a few more listens maybe it's a grower.

What is missing for me is the power of brass. I used to watch Dexy's practice (a long long time ago) and what was exhilerating was the power from the brass, left you breathless.

I used to drink with Kev Rowland et al again a long time ago, and bless him he is a bit of a knob (soz Kev) I feel that for a middle aged man the song writing on this album is a bit.....well.....almost teenage angst. Come on Kev!

I'll give it a chance though, if only for old times sake. :)

OH LORD YES.

Seriously, top ten gig of all time there.

I'd put it on par with the first time I saw Springsteen or the time I saw Nick Cave in Dublin Castle - it felt like an event and I'll never forget it.

It was so good that I went home immediately afterwards despite having lined up an itinerary of bands to watch until three in the morning. I knew that nothing could possibly compare, so what was the point in sticking around?

And the funny thing is, they didn't even play Come On Eileen!

To sum up, then, if they're added to the Glastonbury lineup I may never stop smiling. Though it's impossible, I'd most like to see them as a Sunday night headliner. That would be so special.