Sziget 2012

Guest guitarbaz

For train information I mostly use the German Bahn website: http://www.bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml. It seems there's a night train and several day trains taking about 8 hours to get to Budapest from Belgrade. About the costs I can't find any info... but I once took a train from Budapest to Novi Sad and that costed about 20 quid.

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there for the first time last year and had the time of my life, so disappointed I waited until I was 26 to go for the first time! Absolutely cannot wait for this year! Hoping for Radiohead and QOTSA (don't even know if they'll be on the circuit this summer...)

We had an apartment in a really quiet non touristy part of town, was a 10 min walk to Tram #1 bus stop then took the hev train. On the way back seemed the trams weren't running so it was a bit of a wait for the night bus.

Sziget seriously spoiled us, wouldn't go to a fest in the UK now but I am concerned about the weather this year as I know it could easily be like it was on the last day in 2011 all the time or hotter and that would finish me!!

Oh edit, could anyone UK based let me know of any reputable sites to book an apartment? Finding expedia etc are really focused on hotels...

Edited by purplefluff

Hi guys

I'm thinking about going Sziget this year for first time with some mates. I'v been to glasto plenty of times and a few international festivals too such as Benni. Heard good things about Szigetlast year....so going to give it a go I reckon for a change.

I have a few questions and if anybody could answer them it would be hugely appreciated.

What is camping like at the festival? Is it bearable (heat) and will we have to go as early as the 6/7 August to get a decent camping spot?

What is it like at night on the festival site after the acts have finished? Is there anything like Shagri-La / Arcadia at Glasto (for those who have been)

Cheers. Have a good Festival everyone.

Just like Glasto Sziget has camping on the festival site. You can camp next to main stage if you want ;) The festival is held in a park, so there's a lot of trees and therefore a lot of shade too. With a good spot in the shade camping is very well bearable. But on the 7th it'll probably be quite hard to get such a good camping spot. Most people arrive on the 6th, but there's also a lot of people arriving on the 4th and 5th. Of course they take the best spots...

After Main Stage has finished at 11PM, there are still some other stages with acts performing and the dance stages go on until about 5AM. Besides the dance stages there's also many, many bars playing many different kinds of music. It'll be no problem at all to find a place with music you like and dance the night away. Besides that there's also lots of other entertainment at night. There's also an Ambient Tent full with pillows, where you can either relax (and have a chai tea) or fall asleep. :)

Just like Glasto Sziget has camping on the festival site. You can camp next to main stage if you want ;) The festival is held in a park, so there's a lot of trees and therefore a lot of shade too. With a good spot in the shade camping is very well bearable. But on the 7th it'll probably be quite hard to get such a good camping spot. Most people arrive on the 6th, but there's also a lot of people arriving on the 4th and 5th. Of course they take the best spots...

After Main Stage has finished at 11PM, there are still some other stages with acts performing and the dance stages go on until about 5AM. Besides the dance stages there's also many, many bars playing many different kinds of music. It'll be no problem at all to find a place with music you like and dance the night away. Besides that there's also lots of other entertainment at night. There's also an Ambient Tent full with pillows, where you can either relax (and have a chai tea) or fall asleep. :)

was thinking about this festival earlier a few months ago as it looks amazing, but went for roskilde in the end(cant miss bjork). Well did lots of research and the reason why the main stage finishes earlier than the other stage is they had alot of complaints about noise and agreed that the main stage would finish at 11pm.

with the other stages going on to the early hours.

With the day not starting until 3pm ish then thats why theres less acts on mainstage.

need to broaden your horizons then gazz lol! Only a handful of roskilde acts been annnounced so far, only about 150 to go.

its a european festival thats what you get, rock werchter would probably serve you better. More block busting acts, more like the best of download/leeds/v put together. You usually get acts that are headling uk festivals half way down the bill(mcr, kasabian etc etc). Roskilde is more for the experience, supposed to be the european equivalent of glastonbury and its on for 9 days(8 days of music), cant wait.

you get so much more for your money than uk fests. More days of music usually, better weather, nicer people, no troublemakers, cheaper aswel.

Edited by gazza_20

but it all depends what you go for a festival for, rock werchter is a class festival but lacking slightly on festival atmosphere and crazyness.

so all depends what you got to a festival for bands or atmosphere, or a bit of both, werchter is good as you can just pop on the eurostar and your nearly there and travel is free once you get to belguim.