Freeview HD box - which to get?

Guest Straight_Outta_Trumpton

Hey all,

I know there are some tech-geeks amongst you guys, so figured I would throw out this question.

Basically looking for a Freeview HD box with iPlayer/4oD capability and the ability to hook-up to my home network so I can stream my downloaded video files onto my TV.

This is the closest I've found to what I want at a reasonable price, but it doesn't do iPlayer/4oD

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TechniSat-Freeview-Terrestrial-Receiver-functionality/dp/B003XU78CC/ref=dp_return_1?ie=UTF8&n=560798&s=electronics

Any ideas? Help would be much appreciated!!

The 3view actually does get iPlayer already and hooks up to a home network to play pretty much all video types. Apparently when it came out it was a bit buggy, but there have been a number of firmware upgrades which have ironed these out

Definitely going with the 3view!

Does it? :blink:

The tech-spec part of that page says "BBC iPlayer coming soon".

The user reviews part of that page says "The description for this PVR is misleading - currently there is no BBC iPlayer, Sky player or TV widgets."

BTW, it's all Sky's fault that Freeview doesn't have the iPlayer as an integral part of it - they objected to its addition as unfair competition, but they lost. The result tho has been a delay to the inclusion of iPlayer within the Freeview feature set.

This definitely ticks some of your boxes; Smartbox 8320HD

It has iplayer, Skygo (free if you already have Sky tv) & connects to media servers like tversity. Plays pretty much every file you can throw at it, and will output DTS sound if you send the makers a request for it to do so via their website. According to the people on the more geeky forums, picture quality is very good too. Also has a remote-record app for Apple products. There's no 4od or ITV player, but I'm not aware of a box that does.

It was really quite buggy when it first came out, but I have no problems with mine nowadays.

• 3 weeks later...