Kindness

Guest Madmark

In 2008 my then 9 year old daughter was obsessed with a hat which was being sold on a lot of the stalls - a sort of long, tall, pointy brown witches hat. But they were at least £15, so we had to say no. On the friday night we were in Jazzworld, and daughter was dancing like a loon in a puddle, dressed as an elf...a group of teenagers approached, and one the girls suddenly started running towards my daughter - when she got to her she whipped off her long tall pointy hat and plonked onto my Daughter's head, saying 'You are the prettiest elf I have ever seen, you just need this hat to be perfect' and then they ran off :D

My daughter still talks about this as one of the nicest things that has ever happened to her, and the hat still has pride of place in her bedroom, and returns to Glastonbury every year!

So, if you were the lovely hat-giver...thank you! :D

It`s 1982 with a group of about 12 mates, all dropped purple micro dots and are really flying- lost my mates and started on a real downward spiral.

ended up back at the tent on my own got a fire going and was ok while it`s burning. run out of wood and started getting parniod again------ so took all my clothes off and burnt them...getting parnoid again.... now the problem was that i had been lying on one arm and it had gone to sleep(no feeling in it) so logically its useless....! get my axe and work out at what point along my arm i can chop it off .....just about to start the swing and a guy who had been watching came over took my axe and sat down talking to me. then kept skinning up for the next few hours and kept me sane...... a true hero and a real act of kindness.

Loving this thread some beautiful story's!,

In 2009 my first time going on my own, i had spent 14 hours on a coach and didn't get to the festival til like 1am, i didn't know the grounds that well and all looked very different from the year before which was my first time there, Grounds were covered in tents and could not find a spot anywhere to camp where i thought would be easy enough for me to remember where i would pitch, eventually i found a spot near the John Peel, i was shattered, totally worn out and basically dropped, when a few lads who was camped right in-front of where i was came over, asked if i was ok, helped me up and said "Camp here if you like", to which i nodded and they sat me down, got me a nice cold cider and put my tent up for me.

To this day we keep in touch daily via Facebook, text messages and phone calls etc. and are really good friends, this will be my third year with them this year and we all cant wait!.

Further more one of them has the same surname as me which we thought was odd but very cool, so to us its like were brothers!.

Have a good festival everybody, look after yourself's and look after others its what makes Glastonbury the best festival in the World!. biggrin.gif

It`s 1982 with a group of about 12 mates, all dropped purple micro dots and are really flying- lost my mates and started on a real downward spiral.

ended up back at the tent on my own got a fire going and was ok while it`s burning. run out of wood and started getting parniod again------ so took all my clothes off and burnt them...getting parnoid again.... now the problem was that i had been lying on one arm and it had gone to sleep(no feeling in it) so logically its useless....! get my axe and work out at what point along my arm i can chop it off .....just about to start the swing and a guy who had been watching came over took my axe and sat down talking to me. then kept skinning up for the next few hours and kept me sane...... a true hero and a real act of kindness.

I got chatting to a young man in 2005 who'd come on his own. He had lost absolutely everything in the flood. He went on to tell me that different groups of complete strangers had given him clothes, food, drugs and booze and he was having a great time. His clothes were too big for him though which made it even more endearing. He was even passing a bottle of booze around to spread the kindness. :)

Last year at Strummerville my friend overdid it on the sambuca shots and ended up collapsing right at the start of Frank Turner's campfire set. Luckily for us loads of people came to help us and one of them lent my friend a jacket to keep warm while we waited for someone to help us take her to first aid. Not knowing what to do ourselves, we were really glad someone helped us out. They really did help us look after her so I'm very grateful.

My first Glasto, 2004, and it was a bit damp on the first couple of days. I was woefully unprepared with no wellies, just old trainers. On the first evening, we were trying to walk up a short but very steep, muddy and slippery slope and I was struggling, quite stoned and getting paranoid about falling over and making a tit of myself in the mud. Then, a mystery hand appeared on my back and gently pushed me, helping me up the slope!

A small gesture of kindness on my first ever night at Glasto!

Those who went in 2007 will remember how deep the mud was when trying to get between stages - and how thick and claggy it gets.

A chap was at the festival in a wheelchair. There is no way he could get through the mud - but his mates lifted him and the chair, and carried him between the stages when they needed to move throughout the weekend.

Walking in that mud was difficult and exhausting on its own - those lads showed an amazing level of friendship.

Billy Bragg spotted it and got the leftfield tet to applaud them on the sunday night.

A few years ago i was finishing off my "business" in the long drops ;), just about to exit when i heard a "ooohh no..." from the stalls directly behind me.. i shouted back "whats the matter" and she said "i've dropped all my loo roll down the hole"... , i walked round and passed her my loo roll under the door. "Oh my god thats sooo kind, thanks"...."No problem" i said, "enjoy your festival"... and walked off feeling happy that i'd done my good deed for the day.