Trouble with pulling at glasto thread.

Guest spuddy09

Was just wondering if anyone has had any trouble with their email/computer since following the links in the Pulling at glasto thread.It maybe just be coincidence but Ive received a load of emails from what seem to be people and companies who i usually hear from(lovefilm,ebay,shopto,mums work email etc).Saying that my email has been returned as if Ive tried to send them an email.

I dont know if what Ive said makes sense but if it does, does anyone have any advice?

Thanks.Dan

Edited by spuddy09

And there was me thinking there was an answer for the reason for trouble with pulling at Glasto. :P

A lot of the time, if you are receiving returned emails it is not you, but someone else spoofing your address.

This is because a friend is more likely to trust an email sent from you than mystery@spammer.com :).

However, still definitely worth running various spyware/virus checks and chnaging your password anyway.

I once had an 'event' where for a period of 30 mins my hotmail sent spam mail to everyone in my address book. It happened literally minutes after installing some ropey cracked game (nfs:shift 2, bag of crap as it happens) and I assumed it was a virus, so quickly installed AVG and gave it a once over, nothing. I changed my hotmail password and there was no recurrence, but to this day never figured out what caused it (the emails were all in my sent box) as I have since test installed the same game on another machine without an issue.

On that occasion I figure that some website or other that I had registered on had figured out that I used the same password for hotmail as I had signed up to them with and since changing password all has been well.

Seems to happen a fair bit with hotmail accounts. I am always getting emails at work from people who have me in their address book and their hotmail is sending through spam links and they are always from hotmail accounts.

Check online as there is quite a bit of info on how to fix it on various sites..

See link below.

anti spam

Edited by rubenz

A domain I haven't used for email for many years now still gets a hell of a lot of returned mail from randomname@mydomain.com - nothing useful that can be done about it, so I just don't use it for email. Vast majority of email addresses are ones that have never even existed - they are just making up random stuff, ie johnsmith@mydomain.com.