Ticket Scam man Jailed

Guest DeadAmos

Is this a fact according to the Daily Mail, or a more reliable source? The percentage of foreign nationals in British prisons runs at around 12-14%, this figure encompasses those both with legitimate immigration status (e.g. from the EU), and those who may well of outstayed their welcome. At current rates, nearly 25% of that 12-14% are deported either during or at the end of their sentence under something called the Early Removal Scheme.

Prior to release from prison immigration status is considered and if someone is legally entitled to stay in the country then they will be transferred to an immigration removal centre, there they have the right to appeal to the AIT like any other person - because we live in a democracy and value freedom as a society.

Those that are legally entitled to live here are still offered the option of repatriation under the Facilitated Return Scheme. Basically this is a cash payment upon returning to their country of origin. Worth noting that this costs the Government in the region of £4m per annum, compared to the £1-2m per month saved in reduced prison occupation.

Unless the number of foreign nationals in the uk comprise over 12% of the population then my quoted 'fact' of the number being disproportionate is correct. Since (by your reckoning) 'nearly' 25% get deported, my point that 'in most cases' they do not get deported is correct. BTW the Daily Mail don't have a monopoly on discussing immigration anyone can do it as long as they get their facts right! (also it's 'have' not 'of')

Bring back good old fashioned British crime I say - that'll teach those foreigners. :P

Unless the number of foreign nationals in the uk comprise over 12% of the population then my quoted 'fact' of the number being disproportionate is correct. Since (by your reckoning) 'nearly' 25% get deported, my point that 'in most cases' they do not get deported is correct. BTW the Daily Mail don't have a monopoly on discussing immigration anyone can do it as long as they get their facts right! (also it's 'have' not 'of')