Taking stock

Guest geofelgie

Your enthusiasm for this Other Lives lot intrigued me, so I finally gave them a proper listen. Got to doff my imaginary cap to you, this is some good shit! I have 'acquired' both albums this morning and plan to listen to them ASAP. I'm already imagining that I will be purchasing them directly from the band at EOTR.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your enthusiasm for this Other Lives lot intrigued me, so I finally gave them a proper listen. Got to doff my imaginary cap to you, this is some good shit! I have 'acquired' both albums this morning and plan to listen to them ASAP. I'm already imagining that I will be purchasing them directly from the band at EOTR.

I elected not to go to the St Pancras shows because he's at EOTR. Stupid decision, especially as Singing Adams are now supporting.

I saw him at The Lexington last year and it was fantastic. Unsurprisingly, Steven Adams was there that night. He's a bit of a fan. If he goes to EOTR as a punter, expect to see him down the front.

• 2 weeks later...

Dan Mangan was very good last night... His band did a set as well, they have an album out (under the name "Crackling". They're NOT a pork band, apparently) - wonder if they're candidates for a late night Tipi/Piano set? Steven Adams was on predictably good form as well. Definitely recommend the new Singing Adams album.

Dan Mangan was very good last night... His band did a set as well, they have an album out (under the name "Crackling". They're NOT a pork band, apparently) - wonder if they're candidates for a late night Tipi/Piano set? Steven Adams was on predictably good form as well. Definitely recommend the new Singing Adams album.

I've just started listening to 'factorycraft', by FOUND. Very much liking it so far. They are looking like my latest 'ooh, I'm quite excited about seeing this lot!' discovery. I get the feeling that this album is a bit different to their previous two.

I'll persevere with this and then, if initial thoughts are confirmed, might go searching for more. Worth a listen by those with tastes similar to mine.

Incidentally, have listened to Sun and Shade by Woods, the latest lauded LP. Sorry, guys, help me out here - I DO NOT get the attraction of this run-of-the-mill, lumbering 60's-beat throwback band. For them to work SOOOO hard to recreate a sonic theme so authentic of yesteryear seems utterly pointless. They just end up sounding like a pastiche of themselves. I love Alex and Sophia's choices in general, but whilst they in no way offend me, Woods also do nothing at all for me - I just don't quite see the love. If the songwriting was hugely better, then maybe...sorry.

So what's the deal? Are there lots of Woodsmen on here (see what I did there?)?

Ben

Incidentally, have listened to Sun and Shade by Woods, the latest lauded LP. Sorry, guys, help me out here - I DO NOT get the attraction of this run-of-the-mill, lumbering 60's-beat throwback band. For them to work SOOOO hard to recreate a sonic theme so authentic of yesteryear seems utterly pointless. They just end up sounding like a pastiche of themselves. I love Alex and Sophia's choices in general, but whilst they in no way offend me, Woods also do nothing at all for me - I just don't quite see the love. If the songwriting was hugely better, then maybe...sorry.

So what's the deal? Are there lots of Woodsmen on here (see what I did there?)?

Ben

I LOVE Woods, but I'll be the first to admit that it took me a long time to get them. Persevere though and from what you've said about other bands you like, you'll get it eventually. The first album I really got into was How to Survive+Into the Woods (after about 6 listens though) but that's quite a hard album to get into and probably not what I'd recommend first. Try Songs of Shame and then At Echo Lake.

Having seen them play a few weeks back they're still one of my must sees at EOTR though, that's how good they were, so don't give up on them yet! ;)