the libertines

Guest richardashcroft

They were immense, band of the weekend for me. i wasn't sure if it would work on such a big stage but the chemistry with the whole band was there to see and they played an excellent set, full on energy and they all looked thrilled by the whole occassion. Top stuff!!! If they carry on great, if not then its a hell of a high to effectivly go out on, who knows hey!

their performance was ruined by one, unforgivable factor: Pete Doherty. Honestly, the others deserve better than that waste of flesh and oxygen. He looked like he really couldn't be asked to put any effort in.

I don't see what was so amazing about their performance. They came on, played the songs, did a bit of kissing/fighting then left. You'd have thought they'd have done something a bit special for their first gig in six years, rather than simply going through the motions. I barley even remember them speaking to the crowd.

their performance was ruined by one, unforgivable factor: Pete Doherty. Honestly, the others deserve better than that waste of flesh and oxygen. He looked like he really couldn't be asked to put any effort in.

I don't see what was so amazing about their performance. They came on, played the songs, did a bit of kissing/fighting then left. You'd have thought they'd have done something a bit special for their first gig in six years, rather than simply going through the motions. I barley even remember them speaking to the crowd.

What was wrong with Peter? To me this sounds like somone who didn't like Pete to begin with, decided they wouldn't enjoy the gig, then blamed the fact they didnt like it on Peter.

oh and i attributed the no talking to a few things. Firstly because they wanted to play as many sons as possible in the hour slot they'd been given. Secondly they never used to talk anyway, it was just play the rock show, leave, then play another gig in someones flat an hour later. They aren't going to dance about making knob jokes, They just wanted to play the music their fans wanted to hear and get on with it. I didn't see the issue.

Difference between Blink and The Libs was. Blinks set was filled with gimmicks, jokes and bad musicianship. Whereas the libs gig was a stipped down, raw show for their fans. The first is fun if you are a fan, the second is fun if you are a fan. It's all about what you like and what you get from a gig.

I agree with the Weezer comment. But not every band does that kinnda thing. For instance if Arcade Fire all donned cathats, and danced on the fence witha blow up doll..... you think it was kinnda forced. You can't complain a band aren't what they are.

and in terms of quality Arcade Fire could easily have blown the Libs off the stage.... however this is a personal opinion. The fact is The Libs had one of the biggest crowd of the weekend, had large numbers of the crowd singing every word, and the band clearly loved every minute. Arcade Fire drew a tiny crowd and put on a very good performance to few people. In my eyes the Libs came off better in the long run.

There's a difference between raw and being so wasted you can't sing. And Aracde Fire interacted with the crowd far more than the libs did. It's good that they've patched up their differences, but everyone seems to forget that the main reason for their split was Pete's drug problem. If he's still got a problem then the reunion is pointless. Of course, kissing and making up is a lot easier when there's vast quantities of money being thrown around...

But hey, I've always felt that their fans have ruined them for me. I think they were a good rock and roll band, nothing more. But now I don't like saying I like them, because people assume I'm like the vast majority of their fans, who think they're the greatest band in the history of music and that Pete Doherty is the greatest lyricist ever to have graced our planet.

Bands need to interact with the audience. Biffy Clyro died on their arses for their entire set because they did absolutely nothing to get the crowd going. Axl Rose's performance ended in utter disaster partly because he failed to win the support of the crowd, most of whom had left by the end of his performance.

Blink chatted and joked with the crowd, NOFX were one of the highlights of the weekend because of their highly amusing banter (why do chavs insist on ruining this word?)with their audience, Weezer were yet another highlight, because Rivers Cuosmo made sure the whole crowd felt included, climbing up the fences on either side and jumping down to the barrier.

I'm sorry, but the Libertines were completely blown out of the water that night by Aracde Fire.

But hey, I've always felt that their fans have ruined them for me. I think they were a good rock and roll band, nothing more. But now I don't like saying I like them, because people assume I'm like the vast majority of their fans, who think they're the greatest band in the history of music and that Pete Doherty is the greatest lyricist ever to have graced our planet.

• 2 weeks later...

i only saw them on the t.v so what you guys thought of them actuly in the flesh is mostly likey diffrent. but i saw a few acks on the t.v i really liked dizzy an the cribs were good. but i was exspecting a bit more from the libs. and i have nothing against pete but he didnt seem his best.