£50 for car parking tickets in future

Guest Laura_Babs

Using AA running costs, the Birmingham round trip by car isn't £40, it's £77. And more than that if your car cost more than £12k, or if you do less than 15k miles per year.

The argument still holds - that it really should be cheaper than it is by coach, but the comparison should be done on real numbers, not wilfully optimistic ones that ignore the industry figures for running a vehicle.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you on that. I live in London and we're blessed with a decently regulated - if crowded - public transport system. Outside of London, it's an expensive deregulated mess. But hey, we're getting off topic. ;)

Edited by 18Alex18

At the moment, all the trains to Glastonbury and nearly all the coaches are run by companies doing it for profit, which is why they're so expensive.

If charter trains/coaches were run at cost, then you would cut the current fares by at least half.

There isn't the capacity to charter more than about a dozen trains at once in the UK any more (though even that would cover a few thousand people), but the festival could certainly hire a load of coaches and run them at cost if it wanted to.

Then the people who come by car purely because it's much cheaper would have an alternative option.

Th Rage gig is a good example. We ended up driving from Sheffield to Cockfosters, parking in the NCP and getting the tube to Finsbury. Worked like a charm and the cost between 3 of us for tube tickets/petrol and parking came to about £22 each. The cheapest return train tickets from Sheff to London inc tube travel was about £110 each. Nonsense.

Also, I'm just watching the news and they're talking about the fact that East Midlands Airport is charging £1 to drop someone off.

I don't understand why GFL don't try and implement a drop off charge if they wish to reduce and discourage car use.

Drop offs are the worst of all the methods of getting to the festival.

I know some people who got taken from Leicester to Glastonbury on wednesday last year and picked up on monday. That's 4 journeys to get them to the festival. If anything - the festival should encourage you to bring your own car and park it rather than get dropped off.