Modest Mouse to headline Friday!

Guest sofiahagberg

Dear Friends,

Welcome to an historic pre-election lineup announcement. Historic, that is, because we’re announcing Modest Mouse's very first appearance at the End of the Road, which completes our 2010 trio of headliners:

MODEST MOUSE on Friday, YO LA TENGO on Saturday and WILCO on Sunday

And it's not just a mouse but whales, magic, fairies, bloom and - erm - philips, as we're also announcing the following lineup additions:

FREELANCE WHALES - http://www.myspace.com/freelancewhales

HERE WE GO MAGIC - http://www.myspace.com/herewegomagic

KATH BLOOM - http://www.myspace.com/kathbloomchapter

PHILIP SELWAY - myspace tbc

SMOKE FAIRIES - http://www.myspace.com/smokefairies

We couldn't be happier with the way things are shaping up and despite the lineup already being a smörgåsbord of delight, there is more to come! Keep your eyes peeled in the next few weeks for 'The Local' announcement, and in June we will reveal the lucky bands who got picked from all the applications we have received.

Wishing you a great rest of the week, and if you're in London - COME CELEBRATE WITH US us at Woodpigeon's Union Chapel show tonight.

Lots of joy,

The End of the Road team

xx

Edited by sofiahagberg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What a great line up. Given the profile of this festival it is nice to see that there are also a few bands booked that can generate some noise. I'm going to Dorset for Modest Mouse but Yo La Tengo, Wolf Parade, Black Mountain and Cymbals Eat Guitars also contribute to widen the scope of this fest.

It must be nice for a young band like Cymbals Eat Guitars to be able to play alongside Modest Mouse who have influenced them quite a bit. We just miss Built to Spill to have a great Northwest Sound meet.

• 2 weeks later...

You might start off with their best album "The Moon & Antarctica". They also play a lot of songs from their two latest records on the current tour "We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank" and "Good News for People Who Love Bad News". In my opinion their early material is better then the last two records but it may be a waste of time if you just want to prepare for their festival gig.

They have quite a hefty back-catalogue, most of which isn't on Spotify, well not in the UK anyway. Personally I'm more of a fan of the later period stuff and would fully recommend starting with We Were Dead.... It seems their most instantly accessible from my perspective. That's not to do the earlier stuff a disservice, "The Moon & Antarctica" is a great album, as is "The Lonesome Crowded West", they're just not as packed with instant foot-tappers, in my opinion.

• 1 month later...

Missed the boat is the most played track on my ipod by some distance (or should that be listens?), simply brilliant.

I've only got the last two albums but that should cover most of their set shouldn't it?

Edited by Panja

Panja: Considering it's a festival gig, the two last albums will probably make up almost 75 % of the set.

Being a long time Modest Mouse-fan you just wanna cry when you see their set lists of late. Even though I appreciate their newer material, it's the old stuff that is distinctive and plays to their strengths. However, since I'm prepared for the worst it won't be a great disappointment either way.