Classical music at Glasto?

Guest Rhymenoceros

I was just wondering if it had been tried before and whether anyone agrees with me that it would go down well. Someone like John Williams doing his film scores, or the philaharmonic ochestra.

I'd personally love to be sat relaxing with a cider listening to the theme from Jurassic Park...

Glasto is of course a Festival of Contemporary Performing Arts - not simply yet another rock/pop/indie/dance/whatever music festival - so something a tad classical-esque is not in any way out of place or not doing what it says on the tin and all that :P

You're probably right, I doubt it would attract so many people unless it was a mainstream performer, and certainly not enough for its own stage. Plus would take a while to set up. BUT the Royal Philaharmonic opening the Pyramid on a sunday with a rendition of the Planets by Holst... That would be spectacular.

I went to see Tosca the other night, and can only desribe it as breathtaking, was wondering along the same lines how it would go down at Glasto, personally would think it would be awesome to see Tosca, Carmen, Mdm Butterfly at Glasto

Edited by crimsonking

Personally I think if we got a decent orchestra and choral section doing Verdi's Requiem to headline the Pyramid it would be the best thing ever to happen on the stage. If you don't know it, here is a sample of one of the greatest and most emotional pieces of music ever written. Truly mind-blowing.

Edited by jimmyt

Ummmmm, why ? Glyndebourne is apparently a purely classical event isn't it whereas Glasto is of course a Festival of Contemporary Performing Arts - not simply yet another rock/pop/indie/dance/whatever music festival - so something a tad classical-esque is not in any way out of place or not doing what it says on the tin and all that :P