Going alone? post here

Guest skatalite

I went on my own for the first time last year and had a great time, don't think for a second that it should put you off.

The hardest part for me was lugging the gear in on my own (I didn't take too much, but I have muscles like peas on a pencil), once there I collapsed into pennards, failed miserably at finding the efests camp and pitched up. The freedom to wander, to choose what to do, where to go, who to see and when to just say "bugger it, I'm going for a lie down" whenever you feel is bloody marvellous. My morning walks for milk and happy hours at the 50p tea tent with randoms. It was, without doubt, a singular experience and one I wouldn't have missed for the world.

This year I am taking my daughter (re-sale permitting) and I have a whole host of friends who will be onsite so it will be back to schedules, stage hopping and trying to squeeze in everything, but I'm hoping to get a bit of me time in as well.

I think everyone should do glasto on their own at least once in their life, at the end of my week I was more comfortable with myself, with who I am and where I'm going, than I had ever been before. It built my confidence, helped me overcome my worries and really gave me perspective. Do it, you won't regret it.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol, aren't there?! I've thought the same thing.

If we don't pick a name then how about a special meet - we can all cry into our Brothers, sing a few choruses of "I will Survive" and then get all bitter and vow to stay single for the rest of our lives :P

This'll be my first time going solo, and I admit I'm a little nervous about it. Will be travelling from Northampton on the Wednesday, but have yet to sort out my transport. How easy is it to find the efest camp?
Edited by halfpint

Yeah booked my coach ticket day after the Glasto tix came on sale.

I'd have looked into car sharing if I'd thought about it before spending £51.50 on transport :P

That's some big fontage you're sporting there!

I'm getting the coach there from Notts (National express). I'm going on my own as well.

By the way you are joking when you say "14 hour journey" aren't you?? :P

I've seen a few posts about efest havign a bit of a camp where lots of people meet up who'v gone on there own and having meet ups during glasto. Think I saw something about Pannard Hill? Is that where they efest peple camp and would you still be able to meet up with people if you don't camp there?

I only ask because it's become a tradition for me to camp near the pyramid stage. I love it there and saw the massive benefits of it in the year of the flooding when we were all fine on the hill so really want to stay camped up that end but really don't want to miss up on anything else going on as I'll be there on my own this year.

I've seen a few posts about efest havign a bit of a camp where lots of people meet up who'v gone on there own and having meet ups during glasto. Think I saw something about Pannard Hill? Is that where they efest peple camp and would you still be able to meet up with people if you don't camp there?

I only ask because it's become a tradition for me to camp near the pyramid stage. I love it there and saw the massive benefits of it in the year of the flooding when we were all fine on the hill so really want to stay camped up that end but really don't want to miss up on anything else going on as I'll be there on my own this year.

Even if you don't camp with one of the arranged efest (unofficial) camp sites, we all still meet up in the evenings of Wednesday and Thursday.

I would highly recommend you stay with us tho if you're coming solo. Some of the best times at Glasto is at the end of the day sitting with a group drinking tea/coffee/beer/whiskey whatever, talking about the days events.

Everyone is welcome.

yup :P looks like the dude i normally go with is now booked on a training course with work over Glasto, so will be celebrating our Glasto 10 year anniversary on me tod!

will be living in vain hope that:

1 - the coach from Wolverhampton arrives at 3.30pm like they say it should, rather then 1am like it did last year (do not fancy putting my tent up on my own with just a head torch to guide me after half a bottle of vodka has been consumed due to the sheer stress of being so frikkin late)

2 - when i do arrive i can head in the general direction of pennards, if its not looking too impassible, someone may take pity on me and point me towards a group of fellow efesters (t-shirt wearing or not)

3 - said efesters will be as friendly as ever and won't mind another stray joining the ranks and cider bus meets

fingers crossed!

Another recently single here. There does seem to be a lot of us!

Il be driving down from near Liverpool. I could still camp with the same group of mates who Iv gone with last couple of years but my ex will be in that group and I think it would be difficult :P .

Its quite possible that one or both of us may have met someone new by then anyway, it is a few months away yet.......never know what's around the corner.

So, I'm feeling more inclined to go it alone - and possibly camp with you efest lot.

Looks like CT is gonna be just as busy this year from the number of solo flyers!

You've got a lot of research to do Ana. I'm going by car myself. You have a choice of train to Castle Carry (15 mins away from site, but they have shuttle buses to take you) or a special buses from London that will take you right up to the gates.

The disadvantage of buses and trains is that you have to travel to their times, but as you're from Brazil and coming alone, the good thing is you wont get lost.

Hi all. Man you guys have got me excited now I was a little nervous this is my 4th Glastonbury but first going alone. All the advice on here has really helped and put me at ease thanks. I'll be travelling down from London on the Wednesday and would happily accompany anyone. Not long now!

Hi all. Man you guys have got me excited now I was a little nervous this is my 4th Glastonbury but first going alone. All the advice on here has really helped and put me at ease thanks. I'll be travelling down from London on the Wednesday and would happily accompany anyone. Not long now!