latest efest rumour- coldplay

Guest calumtom19

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you mean by relevance?

Look, I had arguments with loads of people last year as to whether Springsteen was the biggest artist in the world. I'm not going through the same shit over Coldplay.

My position is there are a group of bands who are big enough to play huge stadia. Of which Coldplay are one. Anyone with half a brain can work out who the others are. Anything else is hyperbole.

If you dont want to get into the "argument", don't get into it then.

I happen to think Coldplay are far more relevant than U2/stones etc because their demographic is much larger as they are still in comparison a fairly new band.

I see 15-65 year olds buying Coldplay records on a day to day basis. I cannot say that about any other acts today.

That is my opinion and i agree everyone is entitled to theirs. Cool beans.

Oh, I'll argue with you. I'll argue with anyone who uses silly phrases like "biggest" without any quantification whatsoever.

Do you have any actual evidence to back this up, then? Like record sales of their last album against other albums, actual ticket sales, things like that? What makes them biggest? Your guess that they sell lots of tickets (other artists have sold more), they sell lots of albums (other bands have sold more)?

The relevance thing is entirely subjective, to be honest. What does that even mean "They are relevant?" They are making cutting-edge new music?

By stealing Santana riffs? B):P

Nooooooo, i didn't say that. I'm simply walking away from this conversation (or argument as your trying to turn it into).

I could go find out exact record sales and ticket sales etc, but why do i need to.

I have no interest in conversing with people like you on messageboards.

Good day to you sir! :P

Edited by sifimaster

Some people might think that. Others (like me) just geuninely dislike them and the dross that they have released recently. First album was pretty good to be honest (second one not bad either). After that, Chris Martin disappeared up his own wispering arse and they haven't released anything decent since.

Of course, that is just the opinion of one grumpy b*stard. I would just prefer another band to be given the headline slot that isn't Coldplay or Muse, i.e. someone different who hasn't played before.

I would certainly watch Coldplay perform at Glastonbury. I cannot understand why so many people are really anti? Yes they are pretty mainstream but is that such a bad thing? Lots of tracks that most people will recognise and as someone else said earlier, they seem to really enjoy the whole Glastonbury experience. Surely this is a good recipe? The free CD given away at their recent Wembley concerts confirms that they create a great live sound and atmosphere. They get my vote!!

I would certainly watch Coldplay perform at Glastonbury. I cannot understand why so many people are really anti? Yes they are pretty mainstream but is that such a bad thing? Lots of tracks that most people will recognise and as someone else said earlier, they seem to really enjoy the whole Glastonbury experience. Surely this is a good recipe? The free CD given away at their recent Wembley concerts confirms that they create a great live sound and atmosphere. They get my vote!!
Edited by sifimaster

It would be lovely for Glastonbury to have a totally new set of headliners but remember this is going to be the 40th anniversary and the headliners are GOING to be bands that have played before.

Obvious enough I thought.

I for one actually really really enjoy Coldplay.

I love their earlier stuff and while some of the later albums lacked a bit, you have to respect their progression in the last 6 or 7 years.

I'd love to see them live.

Some people might think that. Others (like me) just geuninely dislike them and the dross that they have released recently. First album was pretty good to be honest (second one not bad either). After that, Chris Martin disappeared up his own wispering arse and they haven't released anything decent since.

Of course, that is just the opinion of one grumpy b*stard. I would just prefer another band to be given the headline slot that isn't Coldplay or Muse, i.e. someone different who hasn't played before.

Dont get me wrong there's plenty worst than coldplay but it's what they represent; yet another regurgicated festival band. It's a habbit many of the UK festivals have got into playing it safe when it comes to booking headliners why, because they know it will sell tickets. Mind you if all we do is slag them of when they do take a punt (i.e jay-z) you cant blame them.