Wickerman

Guest jhg...

Slightly more capacity (15k I think) with less stuff for kids to do but still plenty familes attend though I would say Bella has more.

Arena is bigger with a lot more open space, though there is a bigger dance area with 3 or 4 tents in that area.

Prices are around the same for food/drink, with same restrictions of no taking drink into the arena :D

Been to both 4 times and have to say I prefer Belladrum, though both are good festivals. The line up at Wickerman isn't to everyones taste either.. just depends what you're into though :P

Give it a try

This is my overview I posted on the Wickerman forum -

Entrance/Parking

Straight in to the car park at 12pm and no queue. We had staff letters and the girl had no clue what to do with them so we just went in without any checks. Also heard people not even getting their tickets checked/scanned at the entrance meaning anyone can get on site. Only issue here was we were left outside the car park to campsite entrance for 50 minutes while people were coming in from the drop off and setting up. The stewards offered no explanation to this and people were getting frustrated. Wristband exchange queue was horrendous at times though later on in the day.

Campsite

As always plenty of space seemed a bit more this year too so not sure if ticket sales were down or just people brought smaller tents etc. People were friendly enough and never heard any reports of thefts this year in or around our camp area. Make the rules clearer on cooking equipment if not allowed, or put designated cooking areas.

Toilets

Spot on all weekend, only used the urinals in the arena but campsite ones were cleaned regularly and brought even more in on the Thursday afternoon too. Always filled with toilet roll and hand sanitizer/soap. Did hear complaints that the DnD ones were worse than the portaloos (the ones next to car park/campsite entrance way.

Stewards/Security

There seemed to be a lot more this year in car parks and in the campsite wandering about so all good there. But the Security at the campsite entrance to the arena seemed to be far too many and OTT with the searching though as they are not allowed to physically search your bag no matter what they say. They can refuse entry though so best just show them what's in it. I never got searched and sneaked cans in easily a few times (especially coming from quiet camping). The whole clicking in and out is pointless though, especially when there is a few ways into the arena that can be used.

Police

No issues at all, very low presence this year I thought but just enough for what's required.

Litter

As always the Wickerpickers done a fantastic job, it's just a shame there is certain groups of people in the campsite who are nothing but scum by leaving such a mess behind. Is it that bloody hard to bring a couple black bags and fill them with your shit? Hate to think what their houses look like. Our camp had every single fag butt picked up before we left, people should take more responsibility. Also no recycling this year so no excuses chucking everything in the bins or black bags.

Layout

Good to see less of the fairground, now maybe next year just do away with it and move the Skiddle arenas up to that top corner as there was a huge space there (where the circus was previously). The sound bleed from there was ridiculous and this has been discussed in several threads anyway. Other suggestion to move it to Acoustic area would still cause noise issues to the campsite. Quiet area needs to be moved further away also and move the car parking nearer the arena perimeter. In general though everything else is fine, few more food/non-food stalls spaced around the arena and definitely more food options in the campsite if not allowing people into arena till later.

Food/Drink

Plenty food choices and decent value too, never bought that much but people I was with had no complaints. Drink on the other hand is poor, not everyone likes pear cider (it's not even cider, it's Perry) so more options of drinks please. And do away with the tokens; queuing twice is just a pain. Put another bar if necessary to reduce queues but personally I never waiting more than a few minutes to get served. Put the main bar lengthways in the tent again to get more staff. Drink prices are normal for festivals so not much you can do about it. 10% cash-back fee is ridiculous though.. daylight robbery!

Line Up

Quite a good selection this year but this is always subjective to taste. More information needs to be available though for changes with perhaps a screen at the info point/merchendise tents showing these with it being updated from a central area. Too many dance areas squished together though, a couple of tents would be enough.

Overall

I had a great time again at the Wickerman, the complaints on the forum are all justified IMO and if the organisers focus on these, and make more of an effort to not look too commercial and return to the festivals roots, it can be a success. Turn away or ignore your regular customers and people will go elsewhere.

Edited by Paul ™

Slightly more capacity (15k I think) with less stuff for kids to do but still plenty familes attend though I would say Bella has more.

Arena is bigger with a lot more open space, though there is a bigger dance area with 3 or 4 tents in that area.

Prices are around the same for food/drink, with same restrictions of no taking drink into the arena :P

Been to both 4 times and have to say I prefer Belladrum, though both are good festivals. The line up at Wickerman isn't to everyones taste either.. just depends what you're into though :D

Give it a try

This is my overview I posted on the Wickerman forum -

Entrance/Parking

Straight in to the car park at 12pm and no queue. We had staff letters and the girl had no clue what to do with them so we just went in without any checks. Also heard people not even getting their tickets checked/scanned at the entrance meaning anyone can get on site. Only issue here was we were left outside the car park to campsite entrance for 50 minutes while people were coming in from the drop off and setting up. The stewards offered no explanation to this and people were getting frustrated. Wristband exchange queue was horrendous at times though later on in the day.

Campsite

As always plenty of space seemed a bit more this year too so not sure if ticket sales were down or just people brought smaller tents etc. People were friendly enough and never heard any reports of thefts this year in or around our camp area. Make the rules clearer on cooking equipment if not allowed, or put designated cooking areas.

Toilets

Spot on all weekend, only used the urinals in the arena but campsite ones were cleaned regularly and brought even more in on the Thursday afternoon too. Always filled with toilet roll and hand sanitizer/soap. Did hear complaints that the DnD ones were worse than the portaloos (the ones next to car park/campsite entrance way.

Stewards/Security

There seemed to be a lot more this year in car parks and in the campsite wandering about so all good there. But the Security at the campsite entrance to the arena seemed to be far too many and OTT with the searching though as they are not allowed to physically search your bag no matter what they say. They can refuse entry though so best just show them what's in it. I never got searched and sneaked cans in easily a few times (especially coming from quiet camping). The whole clicking in and out is pointless though, especially when there is a few ways into the arena that can be used.

Police

No issues at all, very low presence this year I thought but just enough for what's required.

Litter

As always the Wickerpickers done a fantastic job, it's just a shame there is certain groups of people in the campsite who are nothing but scum by leaving such a mess behind. Is it that bloody hard to bring a couple black bags and fill them with your shit? Hate to think what their houses look like. Our camp had every single fag butt picked up before we left, people should take more responsibility. Also no recycling this year so no excuses chucking everything in the bins or black bags.

Layout

Good to see less of the fairground, now maybe next year just do away with it and move the Skiddle arenas up to that top corner as there was a huge space there (where the circus was previously). The sound bleed from there was ridiculous and this has been discussed in several threads anyway. Other suggestion to move it to Acoustic area would still cause noise issues to the campsite. Quiet area needs to be moved further away also and move the car parking nearer the arena perimeter. In general though everything else is fine, few more food/non-food stalls spaced around the arena and definitely more food options in the campsite if not allowing people into arena till later.

Food/Drink

Plenty food choices and decent value too, never bought that much but people I was with had no complaints. Drink on the other hand is poor, not everyone likes pear cider (it's not even cider, it's Perry) so more options of drinks please. And do away with the tokens; queuing twice is just a pain. Put another bar if necessary to reduce queues but personally I never waiting more than a few minutes to get served. Put the main bar lengthways in the tent again to get more staff. Drink prices are normal for festivals so not much you can do about it. 10% cash-back fee is ridiculous though.. daylight robbery!

Line Up

Quite a good selection this year but this is always subjective to taste. More information needs to be available though for changes with perhaps a screen at the info point/merchendise tents showing these with it being updated from a central area. Too many dance areas squished together though, a couple of tents would be enough.

Overall

I had a great time again at the Wickerman, the complaints on the forum are all justified IMO and if the organisers focus on these, and make more of an effort to not look too commercial and return to the festivals roots, it can be a success. Turn away or ignore your regular customers and people will go elsewhere.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...