bgg crafts

Guest flabberghasted

Re: nic & marie & craft field future

As a long standing participant of the b.g.g. as well as a shareholder I have seen the green crafts area develop from a few pitches set in a dark field with no decorations to an intense lively and beautiful field crammed with a huge variety of crafts amazing creations and even at night when the pitches are closed it is lit making the area magical and inviting .all this and more has been due to the foresight and hard work of Nic and Marie –they have actively encouraged new groups ,they quietly promote crafts and argue our cause –artists are encouraged and when problems have occurred they will listen to concerns and quietly find a solution. So that even if you’re not able to get what you want you know that your concerns have been considered.

The crafts field is unique in that each craft has its own needs with regards to space and facilities, health and safety issues are more relevant on this field than perhaps anywhere else on the site – Nic and Marie have worked tirelessly to “pull” it all together. for instance at the last B.G.G two crafts people on different pitches, one a blacksmith and one a carver were threatened with eviction by security for not wearing their wristbands (with fire and sharp tools there are obvious hazards associated with wristbands) Nic and Marie spoke with the health and safety exec who supported the crafts people and so stopped security. I for one would not have known how to deal with such a problem and yet these types of issues are constantly raised and dealt with quietly and efficiently.

I’ve heard it said that the 10% ‘tax’ could be abolished this was introduced as a way of offsetting complaints by others because we sell our own crafts, partly it has supported crew and artists who attend and support the field but also but also a percentage goes back to B.G.G as a means of financial support for the cause, nobody on the crafts field is paid but some expenses are covered does the abolition of the 10% mean the budget (which is minuscule compared to some area’s) would be increased to cover these costs, without the 10% would we still be allowed to sell our goods or charge for workshops (for most people this is the only way of covering expenses incurred by attending B.G.G) I have already been told by one friend that they have been asked to provide free workshops to offset the price of tickets, these are not free tickets they are worked for.

Nic and Marie have fought our corner for years (I could rant on with different arguments) anyone who knows them must realise how easy working for them has been and if they can’t carry on there must be very serious problems. whilst no-one should feel compelled to withdraw I feel a huge amount of loyalty towards Nic and Marie for the years of hard work they have put in on our behalf and yet never have I heard a word of appreciation from any director, with regards to the field or crafts people, most of whom work to produce an incredibly busy field done on ‘good will’ without any hope of remuneration, and its nice to fell noticed and appreciated, in fact except for one director, I wouldn’t even know who they are.

I think this shows a lack of understanding and appreciation of what happens on the crafts field by B.G.G. I’m sure the crafts field will continue but never with the same foresight, imagination and hard work as provided by Nic and Marie.

I will be supporting Nic and Marie and with much regret withdrawing from B.G.G

Have a good rest of year sue

reading all this negative energy is no good at all for the future of the bgg,sounding more like the big greedy gathering,bring back free festivals,theres no shortage of volenteers to make them work,!! or musicians,come to that.

I just received this email from Green Stewards :D

We have just been informed by The Big Green Gathering that there is considerable doubt about next week's festival going ahead. We are really sorry to give you this news and are working hard to get the BGG to give us their decision asap. In the meantime we strongly recommend that you postpone travelling or making any other arrangements with regard to the BGG until further notice. Please do not respond to this email - we will send out further news to you as soon as we have it.

Thank you

Green Stewards

firstly, i heartily agree with the original post. nicely put, and the input that nic and marie have put into the bgg over the years has been huge. (and i for one, being a chainsaw carver, never wear wristbands at festivals)

secondly, the BGG are in the High Court on monday, trying to fight mendip council and the police who are trying to injunct the bgg into cancelling. i've heard it is down to security and traffic managment issues