BBC 3 programme on legal highs just started...

Guest Jules007

has anyone tried these legal highs, like the legal ecstacy etc, that claim to be the same or stronger than pills .. i've never tried, but i was told by someone who did that he didnt get any 'buzz' from it, but did feel a bit crap after?!

when he says 'this is MDMA, if we add an oxygen atom it changes it so it's not mdma but its legal, but has almost all the same effects' surely not, if you change the structure of something it's completely different i thought? (im no chemistry expert though!)

Edited by markeee

There is no MDMA in the world at the mo anyway. Its ALL BZP apparently!

Watched the prog as I only indulged in legals all weekend...seeing as the MADAM was BZP anyway! :D

When I got back from Oz I looked at all these websites to try and find similar stuff to Oz but as George Lamb proved, the websites are totally shite, do not contain or provide ANY info as to what is contained within which is just ridiculous.

Where I bought all my legal stuff in Oz you got a proper break down what was contained within and its the same with the smoking herbs and mixes. Over here useless, in Oz, ace!

I is happy sticking with the relatively well tested BZP stuff. All that other stuff is an accident waiting to happen judging by the abuse by everyone, the sellers just trying to make a buck, the kids looking for a legal high...and HOW can some of this shit NOT show up in drugs tests if some are just one molecule's difference from MADAM eh? The dude from NZ knew what he onto a few years ago and those pills are/were pretty good...the ones HE directly supplied. ICE is a major problem Down Under and I dont blame him one bit for designing and creating a nice, fluffy and pretty safe alternative to the f**ked up shit that is ICE.

Stick with real legal happy high herbs as in real herbs and you will be fine! Me, I indulged in...herbal chocolates with alkaloid extracts of 8 legal opiates contained within herbs eg. Wild Lettuce and Californian Poppy and extract of Griffonia! Bloody tasty, bloody fluffy, very bimbly, flurbly and lovely. And will soon have a direct supply from Oz! Yay!

That programme proved nothing except its all a big farce and Salvia extract f**ks you up big time. I just smoke the natural weed, its a nice little trip but nothing like the mad shit you get form the headshops. Ta Pat for finding me some more! :D

My experiences of herbal legal highs is going to carry on by me learning as much as I can and get into proper herbalism one day hopefully.

There is no MDMA in the world at the mo anyway. Its ALL BZP apparently!

Watched the prog as I only indulged in legals all weekend...seeing as the MADAM was BZP anyway! :D

When I got back from Oz I looked at all these websites to try and find similar stuff to Oz but as George Lamb proved, the websites are totally shite, do not contain or provide ANY info as to what is contained within which is just ridiculous.

Where I bought all my legal stuff in Oz you got a proper break down what was contained within and its the same with the smoking herbs and mixes. Over here useless, in Oz, ace!

I is happy sticking with the relatively well tested BZP stuff. All that other stuff is an accident waiting to happen judging by the abuse by everyone, the sellers just trying to make a buck, the kids looking for a legal high...and HOW can some of this shit NOT show up in drugs tests if some are just one molecule's difference from MADAM eh? The dude from NZ knew what he onto a few years ago and those pills are/were pretty good...the ones HE directly supplied. ICE is a major problem Down Under and I dont blame him one bit for designing and creating a nice, fluffy and pretty safe alternative to the f**ked up shit that is ICE.

Stick with real legal happy high herbs as in real herbs and you will be fine! Me, I indulged in...herbal chocolates with alkaloid extracts of 8 legal opiates contained within herbs eg. Wild Lettuce and Californian Poppy and extract of Griffonia! Bloody tasty, bloody fluffy, very bimbly, flurbly and lovely. And will soon have a direct supply from Oz! Yay!

That programme proved nothing except its all a big farce and Salvia extract f**ks you up big time. I just smoke the natural weed, its a nice little trip but nothing like the mad shit you get form the headshops. Ta Pat for finding me some more! :D

My experiences of herbal legal highs is going to carry on by me learning as much as I can and get into proper herbalism one day hopefully.

Edited by markeee

Ahem...well I met a lovely psychonaut as they are described in the prog and I had a lovely time is all I will say! :D

And I have never had a prob with the few times I have indulged in BZP...I think I shook off the flurbliness yesterday finally! Was fun while it lasted! and it lasted a LOOOOONG time! And no Glasto Blues to speak of one jot at all! Unless you can call missing your friends a symptom of depression.

when he says 'this is MDMA, if we add an oxygen atom it changes it so it's not mdma but its legal, but has almost all the same effects' surely not, if you change the structure of something it's completely different i thought? (im no chemistry expert though!)

He is right - the basic idea I think is to change a part of the molecule that isn't significantly involved in creating the biochemical effects of MDMA. Then you have a new chemical that has similar effects to MDMA but isn't listed as an illegal drug.
Edited by spammachine

Not sure about UK legislature, but the US has something called the analogue law which means such substances would also be illegal.

This law was brought about by the thriving "research chemical" scene of the late 90's / early 00's which allowed companies to sell pharmaceutical grade psychedelics on the net. These were things like 2CB, 2-CT-7, 5-MEO-DMT; stuff only fellow psychonauts had heard of - and it was an amazingly stunning time to be such an explorer.

The analogue law made huge swaths of chemicals with similar chemical structures illegal.

I presumed the UK would have had such a law too.

Ah, you might be right about this - I don't know much about law. My background's more in chemistry/biochemistry.

Incidentally, I thought the programme was pretty good as anything to increase people's knowledge of what they're taking can only be a good thing. It appears many people are unaware of the risks of some of these chemicals and it was clear they often don't know what they're taking anyway, choosing the drug based on the "most exciting name" or "brightest colour"!!