Ridiculous Wednesday Journey.

Guest 18Alex18

Okay. Wednesday morning - woke up at 6am - picked up my friends just before 7am and we headed off. We stopped at the services on the way down and as we left the services the satnav told us it would take us until 10:30 am to arrive. We suffered some pretty substantial delays around Bristol but got within 12 miles of the car park at 12:30pm. Unfortunately, these last 12 miles took us 10 hours and we parked up at 10pm and got to our campsite at 11pm.

Now, this may have been done before, cause I've only just started coming back on the forums post-glastonbury but I thought, using google maps we could see whose journey took them the longest.

Obviously, everyone is coming from different places so we need to do it by average.

The best calculation I can think of is;

Amount of hours taken x 60 = total amount of minutes.

Minutes/Journey distance in miles = average minutes per mile.

Obviously, if you had any substantial breaks, factor them out.

We took 15 hours

15 x 60 = 900

Our journey (according to google maps) was 141 miles.

900/141

Therefore it took us 6.3 minutes to do a mile.

And we had an average speed of 9.3 MPH

Anyone else care to work out there's?

Edited by 18Alex18

Ouch! That's worse than us. We made it down to the site in about 2.5 hours after setting off mega early and having three service stops on the way. We got to the site and sat within 8 miles for about 3.5 hours. Then when we finally got to the bit where you can turn off to get to the side of the car park you want to, the second car in our convoy decided to speed on off in the wrong direction! They turned around and ended up in the wrong car park but better than the wrong side of the site.

Ours seems to be 4.0. mins/mile.

Edited by Laura_Babs

I set off at about 9AM, took about four hours to get from Leeds to Bristol, had a stop just off the M5, then maybe another hour to get from Bristol to Somerset, which would have taken me to about 2PM. Then I hit the queues and got into the car park by roughly 8PM. Tent was pitched by 10PM (the walk from E1 to South Park was endless) then had to go back to E1 to get more stuff, stopping for a few pear ciders and something to eat on the way. It was about 1-2AM by the time I finally had time to relax and say "finally, I'm at Glastonbury!"

Personally I left Sheffield at 6am and got in 5pm, only due to some excellent alternative route we looked up on my mates iphone, which saved us about 6 hours as we were still 10 miles away and had done the previous 10 in 5.5hours.

My friends who left from Liverpool though had one of the worst jams in history: They left Liverpool at 6am and arrived at the campsite at 4am the following day! They said they were close to turning around when it reached midnight and they were still 10miles away jammed up.

My mate was queueing for well over eight hours to go the last couple of miles to the carparks. He had a hell of a journey, about 15 hours all told as well. He nearly lost the will to live. I'm not sure I would've had the patience TBH. At least he knew his camping spot was safe, I'd secured his spot at our camp.

Thankfully I got in within an hour, and my friend was one of the first through the gates.

you have to look up the villages and maps on the way before hand - just cos they tell you to follow the routes doesnt mean you have to

we hit street at 8.45am and it was already not moving

but we just cut round the back and came out just beyond west pennards and it took us 20mins to get in from there!!

Wednesday morning:

0600 woke up

0645 national express from burnley, 227 miles to go

1230 arrived at birmingham

1315 coach from birmingham, 100 miles to go

1545 coming off the M5 junction 23 thinking "hey, maybe we might be there for the scheduled 4:30pm"

1546 traffic standstill, glastonbury 20.4 miles away on country roads

0130 arrive at glastonbury bus station

0200 tent pitched, off for a few beers

0600 bedtime after the longest day ever!

________________________________________________________________________________

We took 19 hours

19 x 60 = 1140

Our journey (according to google maps) was 227 miles.

1140/227

Therefore it took us 5.0 minutes to do a mile.

And we had an average speed of 12 MPH

BUT!

if we just use the the 20.4 miles of queuing for 9.75 hours

That is (585/20.4) = 28.7 minutes per mile!

with an average speed of 2.09 miles per hour!

now thats something pretty special!

worth every minute though :D

Coming from Bristol (24 miles) took us 7 hours.

24/7 = 3.42 mph

But then if you take into account we did the first 17 miles in about half an hour-ish that would be

7 miles in 6 1/2 hours, or 1.07 mph.

At one point we went past a pub, and me and my other mate, who obviously wernt driving had time to go in, use the toilets, buy a bottle of beer each (And there was a queue because a few others had the same idea) and get back to the car before it had even moved. Was an absolute joke.

But... well worth it :lol:

Left Bristol on one of those Temple Meads shuttle buses at twenty past 10 in the morning and got to the site at around half 7 in the evening I think - thankfully, the driver was sound and kept letting us off the bus, went on a bit of a pub crawl so was absolutely smashed by the time I got to Glasto - felt like I was in Cliff Richard's summer holiday or summit. Quite fun actually, just really, really, really ridiculous.

I've just done the calculation - 135 miles from Beeston to Pilton according to Google Maps

Left home 12:43 - Arrived at Castle Cary Station approx 17:40

I was on site at 7 pm and in Shangri La at 8 pm, having pitched my tent etc.

This is about 21.6 mph to get from my kitchen door to the site

Two wheels, no engine.

Took slightly longer to get back only because I stopped off at a nice pub at Ditcheat between the site and Castle Cary Station