very, very old Glastonbury

Guest Laura_Babs

Just been looking on the internet at Glastonbury stuff and found this website:

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/glasto77.html

The pictures got me really, really excited, just to think that we are all going to be there soon, in that same place.

There's some other cool sights with old Glastonbury photos/stories, but does anyone know of any that I can look at? I love looking at this stuff! :P

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow that's a different Glasto world to the one I'm used to.

Looks much simpler, less organised and people look so happy just chilling.

No Corperates about Glasto in those days :P

Wish I had managed to get along in '77 when I had the chance :ph34r:

(When I had the hair, clothes and hippy spirit still with me :ph34r: )

Still the very special atmsosphere of Glasto has persisted to this day in a slightly different guise so am looking forward to the 21st century Glasto incarnated in June.

EDIT: The Pyramid stage has got a bit bigger since those days :ph34r: :

glasto-78-stage-770.jpg

Edited by DaveMac

Wow that's a different Glasto world to the one I'm used to.

Looks much simpler, less organised and people look so happy just chilling.

No Corperates about Glasto in those days :P

Wish I had managed to get along in '77 when I had the chance :ph34r:

(When I had the hair, clothes and hippy spirit still with me :ph34r: )

Still the very special atmsosphere of Glasto has persisted to this day in a slightly different guise so am looking forward to the 21st century Glasto incarnated in June.

EDIT: The Pyramid stage has got a bit bigger since those days:

glasto-78-stage-770.jpg

Awesome! I love stuff like that.

Keep posting old stuff everyone...it's great. :P

Edited by DaveMac

Seen that one before. Love it though so thanks for reminding me of it. I am going to do some more Googling and see what I can find!

Ok done a bit more digging about on youtube and found this:

This is very rare footage from the original Glastonbury Fayre Film made of the second Glastonbury gathering in 1971. This festival was inspired by a vision of a Pyramid with Light coming out of it- experienced by one of the organisers.

Prem Rawat (Sat Guru Maharaj ji- Indian title) came to the west for the first time about a week before this event, he was thirteen(13)years old. This was his first public appearance in England. These scenes where taken out of the commercial release of Glastonbury Fayre Film and there is no reference of this young Indian boy in the new Julian Temple Glastonbury Film released 2006.

Aww all of this is amazing. Brilliant thread!

I just wish I'd been alive when all those things (the crazy dancing, nakedness in a non-lewd way...) were within the realms of social acceptability... Oh well I suppose Glastonbury is still one of those few places where it is possible to go a bit crazy.

Anyone else really excited about Fairport Convention?

This has made my day, and to be fair it could not have gotten much better. :unsure:

I am having a few issues with memory at the moment but I have for the last 25 mins been thrown back 23 years to 1986 when I went as a school boy.

It was not anything like the early 70's but it was a different festival to know. I now remember that there did not seem to be millions of tents, there was space and I think that's is what is missing now, space to be yourself and indulge the countryside around you and know you are in a field in Somerset.

I was thinking the other day how would I make it more personable again, not that there's anything wrong with it mind you, but to make it more spacial. I now have my answer, space.........

Great great thread........

Last footage from early Glasto I can find ...

'Pink Fairies Marching Drum Band - Glastonbury Festival 1971'

(some footage already shown in previous videos)

also this (which is quite charming :lol: )